Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Scripted, manipulated or not, I think it's pretty obvious they're not going to show the boring calls like routine traffic stops and unsexy burglaries that make up the vast majority of a trooper's ordinary day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
According to the producer of the show its scripted. Not 100% I recon but I am sure large portions are. Was told they'd often times arrest the criminal multiple times until they got shot they wanted.

Of course I'm simply taking her word for it. And she may have just been telling me that.
And the lawyers would have a good time with that, eh?

"OK, now cuff him with feeling this time, make us belieeeevee it"

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Its the KIND of criminals- lots of people living in trailers, etc. I carry bear spray, and a backup can as well.
Yeah, I had to go into Fairbanks today and since I had used up all of my bear spray down in the trailer park, I threw my .45 and an extra AR in the car.....you know.....for backup.....just in case!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 AM

400 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I've known people on both sides of the law on the AST show, it might be sexed up a little but it's not staged or scripted. One doesn't need to script the behavior on the show, that's how the underbelly of Alaska really is. Like crime most anywhere, if you don't go to where the dogs are you likely won't end up with fleas.
Right on.

Why is crime high in Fairbanks?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy75 View Post
Mentioned that I got back up to Fairbanks in January.... But forgot this scary incident.

The first man that approached me and gave me his phone number while I was shopping at a store, I found out was a convicted sex offender. The prior charges against him were for drugging his own daughter, and molesting her, when she was about 10 years old. Apparently it had been aired on the local news here even, a few years back. He is retired military. AND I DRESS MODEST, as I believe in modesty and discretion, as not having a sense of discretion will always attract the wrong type of men. Here in Fairbanks, that does not seem to make much of a difference though at times!

There is a saying about Alaskan men and it goes like this: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Women just really have to be very street smart here, and it is nothing like living in a smaller town down in the states. I know these sorts of things happen every where, but per capita, Fairbanks crime is very high. Nobody can say that it is not.

But, we did just get an ULTA store here, which I cannot believe. There is also a Pier 1 Imports and a Barnes & Noble. Now Fairbanks just needs an Olive Garden and a Marie Callenders.
You're punking us, right?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:38 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times
Ugh. Anyone who knows anything about actual crime in Fairbanks knows that it is almost NEVER someone jumping out from behind the bushes. Really, almost never. It's the people you know and hang out with, the villages, the drunk people hanging out on the river...

Old 08-01-2015, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 7,483 times
I work in the field, dealing with victims of rape and domestic violence. With rape I am not exaggerating to say that 95% of sexual assaults start with too much alcohol. They almost all involve hanging out with guys who are questionable at best. The stranger in the bushes just isn't happening here unless it's victimizing a drunk passed out woman: I have seen that scenario many times. As for being connected to the military bases, it's no different than non-military areas. I've worked
in both environments. Yes there are rapists in the military. And in schools, churches, workplaces and bars. Basically if you hang out with guys you don't know well, and drink too much or drink a drink that you did not control at all times, you may be at risk. If not, then it's like anywhere else in the U.S. I have also lived in a major metro area in the inner city for 10 years. I feel safer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks