Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times

Advertisements

I know that roundabouts are supposed to be the latest and greatest in traffic safety. Mythbusters even tested it. And if Mythbusters says it, it must be true, right?

Since they've had College Rd closed off between the Steese and the Old Steese, I have found myself on the two new roundabouts more than normal... the one at Illinois, Bentley Trust, & Helmericks and the brand new one at Helmericks and Merhar, in front of Cold Spot.

Last weekend when I was going around the one in front of Cold Spot. In about 10 seconds I saw three near misses. I never counted before, but I've seen a lot of near misses on both of those. The one in front of Cold Spot is particularly bad, I think because they f'ed the back entrance to the mall, and people are looking ahead, anticipating their next move when they suddenly realize that their next move is now blocked off by concrete.

So, I was not surprised to see this headline this morning, although this particular whack-job was set off by someone who didn't yield to him, but it reminded me of my irritation with the new roundabouts.

Road-rage standoff ends peacefully in Fairbanks | Local News | newsminer.com

Personally, I am not a fan of roundabouts. I'd rather take my chances at an old school intersection. They've been talking about putting one at the Steese and CHSR because visibility is so poor. I don't really see how a roundabout is going to increase visibility.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 02:09 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
There a lot of roundabouts in Anchorage now and more to come, so every one better learn how to use them or there will be some shootings over the people that stop for no reason when there is no other traffic in the roundabout! They are cheaper to build than a traffic light intersection so you will see more in the future. I drove for 3 years in England and believe be you me you haven't seen a roundabout until you get in one that is 5 lanes wide and has 8 exits!

Old 07-20-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
There a lot of roundabouts in Anchorage now and more to come, so every one better learn how to use them or there will be some shootings over the people that stop for no reason when there is no other traffic in the roundabout! They are cheaper to build than a traffic light intersection so you will see more in the future. I drove for 3 years in England and believe be you me you haven't seen a roundabout until you get in one that is 5 lanes wide and has 8 exits!
Yeah, I've driven in Europe a lot... they love 'em over there.

I can negotiate them just fine, I simply don't like them.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
The one over by Cold Spot isn't inherently bad, IMO, but the signage is confusing, and it doesn't help that they keep doing more construction and changing up where the lanes and entrances are. Also, Fairbanks drivers just don't understand how yielding works even under ideal circumstances, lol.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The one over by Cold Spot isn't inherently bad, IMO, but the signage is confusing, and it doesn't help that they keep doing more construction and changing up where the lanes and entrances are. Also, Fairbanks drivers just don't understand how yielding works even under ideal circumstances, lol.
lol, that is true. Wait til winter when no one can see where that concrete divider is. Bunches of folks are going to be ticked off after they try to hang a lucy into that back entrance and run that thing over.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Lots of near misses in the North Pole one. Not only that, but there is a small traffic jamb during the AM rush hour (between 7:00 and 8:00). You can see a long line of automobiles from the roundabout to the gas station at the corner of Hurst.

The one at UAF works well, because it's very large (a very wide circle).

Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 PM

I call the ones in NP "the double helix" even though there's really three of them. I always forget about the last one. It's kind of like bumper cars in the winter.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Lots of near misses in the North Pole one. Not only that, but there is a small traffic jamb during the AM rush hour (between 7:00 and 8:00). You can see a long line of automobiles from the roundabout to the gas station at the corner of Hurst.
There were more near misses of the t-bone kind when that stretch of Santa Claus Lane was uncontrolled. There were four driveways all trying to make left turns across traffic at the same time. The roundabouts are way better than what existed prior. If people can't navigate something as simple as a single lane roundabout maybe they should just walk.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
.. so every one better learn how to use them or there will be some shootings over the people that stop for no reason when there is no other traffic in the roundabout!..
LOL. Probably so.

I like them because they slow down traffic, yet keep it flowing. (Usually)

Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Roundabouts are becoming more common where I am, too.

Countless studies have indicated that not only do they result in fewer accidents, they are more fuel efficient as well. Of course, they may be more dangerous in the short-term as people are not initially familiar with them. But it would be myopic to only consider the short-term.

Frankly, I don't take my own experience into consideration with things like this because I understand that the data-set of my experiences is far, far too small to be worth anything.

Do I like them? Not particularly. But I don't expect road design to revolve around my likes and dislikes, especially when - as in this case - it is borne not out of any objective assessment of the utility of the design but of a general unfamiliarity with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks