Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 13,067 times

Advertisements

I plan on flying up next month to sign leasing paperwork and file W-2 information for my job. I plan on renting a car for a few days, but I read online that the airport in Fairbanks is really bad. It flying into anchorage a safer bet, then driving north? What are you thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 01:29 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Bad in what way? Flying into Fairbanks is plenty safe, definitely safer than driving the highway between the two cities.

If interested in touring around a bit, you could check out flying into one airport (FAI) and out of the other (ANC) if this wouldn't raise your rent a car cost.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Bad in what way? Flying into Fairbanks is plenty safe, definitely safer than driving the highway between the two cities.

If interested in touring around a bit, you could check out flying into one airport (FAI) and out of the other (ANC) if this wouldn't raise your rent a car cost.
I’ve read that there are often delays, lost luggage and extra fees. Like everything there’s two sides of a story, just trying to pick the true one. I will not be site seeing, as I just need to get the keys to my place and fly back to Iowa ASAP for work.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but in 20-some years of flying out of Fairbanks I can recall only being significantly delayed ONCE. And that was on Delta when their whole computer system went down. Most delays out of Fairbanks are caused by delayed arrivals from inbound flights. I have never lost a piece of luggage into or out of Fairbanks, and IMO, flying into Fairbanks is safer than flying into Anchorage....waaaay less winds to deal with. I find driving the Parks Highway much scarier than flying, but if you would rather drive for ~6 hours from Anchorage have at it.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:09 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowariverkid98 View Post
I’ve read that there are often delays, lost luggage and extra fees. Like everything there’s two sides of a story, just trying to pick the true one. I will not be site seeing, as I just need to get the keys to my place and fly back to Iowa ASAP for work.
Those things can happen anywhere at any time. Don't know what the "extra fees" would be. FWIW, I've flown out of both and have been delayed at both due to weather (fog/visibility, icing, high wind). Can't do much about that. I'd just plan lots of flex time between my connecting return flights. The tighter the schedule the more the entire thing can go haywire. You're covering a lot of ground back to Iowa. Getting stuck behind a two car accident on the Parks can also blow your schedule quite nicely.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:51 PM

532 posts, read 446,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowariverkid98 View Post
I plan on flying up next month to sign leasing paperwork and file W-2 information for my job. I plan on renting a car for a few days, but I read online that the airport in Fairbanks is really bad. It flying into anchorage a safer bet, then driving north? What are you thoughts?
totally anecdotal but...
I've been in Fairbanks for 12 years this was the last of 14 military moves FAI has been one of the more pleasurable airport experiences. I also like Alaska Air

Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
I've flown into and/or out of Fairbanks International on five trips and it was just fine.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,659,151 times
If you are going to Fairbanks, fly to Fairbanks. It's really that simple.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Fairbanks International is way easier to get in and out of than Ted Stevens because it's so small. I've never waited in line for more than a few minutes there. There are only 4 gates.

If you're only staying a few days, why check baggage anyway?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
At the job I just left (after 10 years) we flew our field techs into and out of Fairbanks several times a week and they didn't have anymore problems there than anywhere else.
You should be fine. Especially when you consider the cost and time of the drive between Anchorage & Fairbanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: