Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM

26 posts, read 52,624 times

Advertisements

I've been going back and forth between Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks as possible new homes. All have different kinds of weather and pros/cons, but for me, the most reasonable choice is Fairbanks. Although Juneau was my first choice by a mile (mostly because I prefer rain over the bitter cold, and living near the water), but I can't be so limited in my ability to travel. Right now I can't afford to be flying/taking the ferry too often and would like to be able to get around the state with relative ease for a while. So...Fairbanks it is! However, I am very, very nervous about the winter in Fairbanks. I am hoping to be ready to move in May when the weather will finally be warming up, so I will have some time to completely replace my Texas wardrobe. I'm not sure if this is going to be possible though. I may have to wait as long as next November. What are some necessities for the winter? What fabrics should I look for? Also I have two dogs, one being a pitbull with very little fur, and the other is naturally very lean. Do such dogs even exist in this area? Will they be able to be outside at all? Would I look stupid bundling my dogs up like toddlers? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,888,235 times
You will be happy to hear that it is just fine to bring your dogs, they don't care for the cold weather but it is ok for them to go out for a doggie break without gear. It's best for you to wait until you get here to buy winter gear, and if cost is an issue we have a pretty good resale shop called Value Village with a good selection. Keep the clothes you have and once here, buy some long thermal underwear, and any cold weather clothes like thick flannel or wool shirts, Carharrts, boots, coat, gloves and hat. It's really not as bad as it may seem like, we have plenty of new residents from all over that learn quickly how to adapt to the winter. It is a dry cold most of the time so it doesn't feel as chilling as it does when it gets cold in the "lower 48". Mostly extreme cold stings your skin and frosts up your hair.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:16 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,789,276 times
You will be just fine; in Fairbanks. However I might add;

I have extensive experience living with Eskimo's of the upper regions of the arctic for 30 years.

Let me explain how everyone in the Arctic dresses when they go out on the ocean ice to live for two months.

In Point Hope the hunters sleep outside with no tents @ 30 below zero and colder.

The whole idea is to build up many loose layers of clothing that can trap air; I would avoid long johns as they are too tight.

Men and women dress identical in the arctic. (when out on the ocean ice).

After your basic underwear, the next thing is gym shorts, (we have to sit for long periods). after the shorts, comes loose fitting sweat pants, then jeans over that. Then the final layer of ski pants.

For the torso; T-shirt, a couple of very loose flannel shirts, a sweater, then a Hooded sweatshirt and then a spring jacket, Your final layer for the torso is a good winter parky.

Now add a pair of bunny boots; and no matter how cold it is outside you are extremely warm and comfortable.

I seriously doubt you have to dress for that extreme. I doubt you will be outside for any great length of time (when you first arrive). But in time you will get used to the climate.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:26 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,943 times
SD, thanks for your informative reply. I'm a Texan who will be in Fairbanks in mid-January ( a couple weeks from now). I'm expecting to hit -40, and plan to sleep outside just for fun. I have a tent and a mummy bag rated to -40. Do you think it would be possibly for me to to sleep outside with no tent, or is that a bad idea to try?

Do the people you're talking about sleep in sleeping bags on a tarp or something?

And finally, do you think I should purchase a vapor barrier bag for the inside of my mummy bag?

Thanks!
WBJ

Old 12-18-2010, 03:57 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,036,558 times
If you are going to sleep on the ground you need to have an insulated foam pad under you. Even better is a winter caribou hide. You need to be insulated from the snow so that you don't melt it with your body heat. It's find to sleep outside...go ahead and try it. Just don't get drunk and then try it. That's a good way to die.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
If you are going to sleep on the ground you need to have an insulated foam pad under you. Even better is a winter caribou hide. You need to be insulated from the snow so that you don't melt it with your body heat. It's fun to sleep outside...go ahead and try it. Just don't get drunk and then try it. That's a good way to die.
Excellent response !!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the replies...I have a 2.5" thick inflatable pad I was planning to use (the Big Agnes primaloft). It says it is a 3 season pad, but it is an air pad and will keep me 2.5" off the snow. Do you think that will be okay?

I'm wondering if there would be much purpose in having a tent anyway...as long as the wind isn't blowing would there even be much of a difference?

Also, do I need to worry about frostbite on my face? I'm worried about falling asleep and waking up hours later with severe frostbite. I don't want to lose my nose!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,036,558 times
That big agnes should work. but I haven't used an inflatable pad in real cold weather. Won't be ANY wind in Fairbanks at -40. Just burrow down in your bag a llttle and you won't get frost bite. If there is a pocket of air between your nose and the actualy exposed air that pocket will be warmer. That's the theory behind the big hoods that extend well past your face. Those dumb little hoods that barely cover your head and leave your face exposed are no good in frigid temps.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Awesome, thanks. I'm really excited to get up there.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM

When outside in sub zero temps; and you begin to get cold; and there is no place to go, to warm up. Inupiat people use time tested tricks that are thousands of years old to warm up.

Believe it or not; when you begin to get very cold; Do what Eskimo's do to regain that warmth.

Fill your stomach with raw frozen fish or raw frozen caribou meat. However there are certain techniques that are used to make this work.

slice thin strips and swallow them whole, do not chew. Fill your stomach.

(In other words) make sure you have enough. This is what happens. Your stomach and other organs have to work, very hard to digest all that raw frozen fish or meat. Your body will begin to produce body heat the likes of which you have never experienced. At 30 below zero, we are taking clothes off because we are too hot.

You can also go great distances hunting; and never become thirsty

This type of food is 'quaq'

When your hands freeze up and you cannot get them warm. This will always save the day, and your hands also. Do not underestimate this because for frostbite this works everytime. But the time to apply, is before you arrive at that state.

This is gross; I suffered for weeks out on the ocean ice, my fingers, hands; always so numb. The hunters kept telling me what to do; but I refused; yuk !! thus I suffered greatly.

One day; the pain was just too intense; I had been out there on the ice for weeks and this particular day was just too cold & windy; after changing the film in my camera; I just could not get my hands to work. My fingers were apendages of pain. Take your gloves off; blow your nose into your hands and get as big of a clam as possible; quickly rub it all over your hands & fingers and quick as possible get those gloves back on.

INSTANTLY, every thing is warm ' toasty and there is no pain warming up. The second benefit of this time tested technique; is that your fingers will not get cold again (that day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks