Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 PM

668 posts, read 2,359,451 times

Advertisements

I read some statistics that Fairbanks has one of the highest crime rates in the country? Is this really true? In what areas exactly?

The 25 Most Dangerous Metro Areas
  • 1-Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI
    2-Memphis, TN-MS-AR
    3-Sumter, SC
    4-Fairbanks, AK
    5-New Orleans, LA
    6-Miami-Dade County, FL
    7-Myrtle Beach, SC
    8-Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
    9-Victoria, TX
    10-Florence, SC
    11-Stockton, CA
    12-Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
    13-Pine Bluff, AR
    14-Lafayette, LA
    15-Jackson, MS
    16-Saginaw, MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Perhaps per capita using a 100,000 inhabitants. However, if you add the total number of crimes committed per day (or week or month, or year) in any large city of the US, and then compare that number to the total number of crimes committed in Fairbanks per day, (or week, or month, or year), that's when you realize that crime in small cities are not as numerous as crime in larger cities. There is another way that you can get the truth, and that is to read the "police blotter' at the News Miner, and also the court cases taking place in Fairbanks.

If you read the legend at the bottom of most statistic tables, in a lot of these it's explained that statistics are misleading, or can be misused.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,557 times
Without going into a statistical analysis (I already live in the area, so why bother?), these "bottom 25s" with Fairbanks included have NEVER made sense to me. You won't see "too" many people walking/riding bikes/etc in the winter...because of the cold. Summer, it is a normal place. Kids, families, tourists, etc all wandering around the city (more so and greater numbers than just about any other town I've lived in outside of Seoul, Korea). Fairbanks does not have an area that when you drive through, you're thinking "oh shiite, don't break down on me now car!" Even the "industrial" side of Fairbanks (south side down towards the Tanana River) is not an "oh, sh**!) area.

I'm just not seeing the violent crime out of proportion. Biggest problem (or most public) is DUIs and petty theft (this is not Fairbanks only issue in Alaska). We have as of late had some of the worst shooting "gangbangers" (Fairbanks style...take it with a grain of salt). Shooting at each others cars, not hitting anyone (not cool to be shooting when so many other citizens might be carrying, too). This was a rare enough event that it caused OUTRAGE in the community...people said they didn't want gangs like they have down in Anchorage and other places. Big bad gangs...Alaska style...yeah, no so much.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 PM

Take a look at the list of crimes for November 8th:
newsminer.com • Public Safety Report — November 8

Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM

639 posts, read 1,917,582 times
HEHEHE it says Myrtle Beach. That place as turned into nothing but a place for the rich and retired. I was there last year and there wasn't much going on. Maybe a few college kids getting drunk and yelling at the girls or vice verus but it was very calm.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM

335 posts, read 424,311 times
I didn't realize it was #4. I want to go to UAF, but I'm not sure anymore.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Read what I had to say in my previous posts. There are a lot of students form the lower-48 States at UAF. Two of them are working with me during the winter months, and then about 10 during the summer.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Both our kids went to UAF and never had any problems. There has been issues in the past, but most are drinking related, if you don't spend your time at the parties, you normally won't have any issues.

Pretty much like any other campus in the lower 48 States, just the weather in winter is a bit more "Intense", but even that becomes normal after you get use to it.... and downright beautiful!

I wouldn't let the report that is a bit slanted, bother you.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
UAF is an International Campus. My best friend is up there from here and her suitemates are from China. Across the hall there are some South Africans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks