Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Sad?

All of those advertisements are for local businesses - helping to keep our neighbors employed. Would you rather people send their money to freaking China?
If an article is going to pass itself off as being a "helpful and informative" piece then it should be written by journalists who have not monetary interest in the information that is being presented. You can write an article about plugging your car in when the temps are below zero without following it up with an advertisement at the bottom of the same page that coincidentally SELLS auto heating units! How transparent is that?

I realize that often when an article is written people say... "Gee where do you buy those????" So perhaps at the END OF THE ARTICLE in small lettering, you could provide a list of local merchants who provide the items mentioned. There is no harm in that. But the article as it was written is NOT about keeping people safe and happy during the Alaskan winter. It is about selling stuff. Pure and simple. Here is the big advertisement in the form of an article and just look at the bottom of the page and there is the company that paid for the article to be written.

That is NOT JOURNALISM. That is marketing.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
This is an article from a local newspaper....I have yet to see a newspaper without advertising, kind of like television without commercials...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,564 times
I suppose all those shows in Branson are free and unadvertised. I've been there, nice place to take the family. I remember in Missouri there were lots of billboards on the scenic highway on the way to Springfield. I consider that to be more of an affront than ads in newspapers conveniently tied to articles.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If an article is going to pass itself off as being a "helpful and informative" piece then it should be written by journalists who have not monetary interest in the information that is being presented. You can write an article about plugging your car in when the temps are below zero without following it up with an advertisement at the bottom of the same page that coincidentally SELLS auto heating units! How transparent is that?

I realize that often when an article is written people say... "Gee where do you buy those????" So perhaps at the END OF THE ARTICLE in small lettering, you could provide a list of local merchants who provide the items mentioned. There is no harm in that. But the article as it was written is NOT about keeping people safe and happy during the Alaskan winter. It is about selling stuff. Pure and simple. Here is the big advertisement in the form of an article and just look at the bottom of the page and there is the company that paid for the article to be written.

20yrsinBranson
You are making too much of it. You don't have to buy the "auto-heating unit" from the company that advertises it. Just ignore that part, and and learn from the rest. Once you know what you need, you can buy an "auto-heating unit" from anybody you want, even Amazon, and install it yourself or your mechanic.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Here's an idea. Since you find this so offensive, don't ever go to Fairbanks.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 32,066 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I would think that in order to write articles dont they have to have advertisements to pay for the article space? Im not sure and this is purely a guess so don't attack me please lol

Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
Default NC Commerical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
How many people on City Forum remember Fairbanks when it had a JC Penney, a Nordstrom's and a Lamonts? You can probably tell I'm a girl by that question. It just breaks my heart how much downtown Fairbanks has changed since the early '80's. I remember the Woolworth's and the Coop Drug and some other stores around there, and the Pay 'N' Saves that were an early form of Walmart or Walgreens. My dad would drive me to town and we would be bundled up and make the rounds to the places downtown, freezing our you know what's off but having a good time, especially around Christmas.
Those of us that are even longer in the tooth remember that before Nordstroms, the Northern Commerical Company store used to be located in the same place. NCC was really the onlly major department store in town before Penneys, Nordstroms and Lamonts. Decent selection (for Fairbanks) and very good salespeople. Definitely an old time Fairbanks memory.
Check out the related Snopes article at snopes.com: Nordstrom Tire Return. It's related because NCC did operate a tire store (my uncle worked there) along with their department store in Fairbanks before they sold out to Nordstroms. I bet the tire return mentioned on Snopes happened in Fairbanks.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,564 times
That is really cool, I actually do remember the NCC store, but I was just a little squirt and couldn't quite merge my memory of that store into how it turned into a Nordy's. Interesting article!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
BUT, in these times of bad economy, I can certainly save a lot of cash. I was at WalMart recently, and noticed Mobil 1 and Castrol synthetic engine oils on sale for $21.00 per 5-gal container It costs nearly $46.00 at NAPA, and around $33.00 at Eielson AFB.
............Well, I gave it a month's time, and nobody has commented on that "fantastic" price of: "$21.00 per 5-gal for Mobil-1"!! I was getting ready to hook up a 53' trailer and drive on up and "load 'er up"!
Just kiddin' Ray............even at $21.00 PER 5-QUART container, it's a damn good price.

Ya know though.....if I did come on up, I'd probably been stopped at the boarder by Met........bein' as I'm from the -48.......Happy New Year everybody...............and may "your 1st Mates" forever stay out of jail"

Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,823 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Wow, that's pretty offensive from someone who is from one of the most commercialized towns in the lower 48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks