Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Ginger

This term seems to be more common abroad, like in the UK. Does it mean any type of redhead or those who have light red or strawberry blond hair, blue eyes, and lots of freckles?

Does Justine Joli (http://www.flickr.com/photos/consensualmedia/150046605/in/faves-mjm/ - broken link)have ginger hair? It's usually dark red.

Also, I can't tell if "ginger" is impolite. Sometimes it seems like a slur, and other times it just seems like something that is not exactly negative but never complimentary either ... like "dishwater blonde" or "mousy hair."

Redhead

What sort of hair and complexion do you think of when someone is called a redhead? I tend to think of women with pink skin, few freckles, and brown eyes, like Alicia Witt or Julianne Moore. (Okay, Moore was probably a bad example. She can have porcelain or freckly skin; it probably depends on her makeup.)

Carrots

Although carrots are orange, when I read or hear this term, the person usually has dark hair. Anne Shirley didn't have bright orange hair, did she?

Who is someone you consider to have carroty hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
In the UK, "ginger" is most definitely a slur. It's usually used by the English to refer to the Irish and Scottish, and as I am sure you know those groups have their history. A few years ago I had a business meeting with a Brit and an American redhead (who happened to be horribly rude). When the redhead left the table, the Brit referred to the redhead as "that g-damn ginger" and "bloody gingerhead kunt" in a way that very much reminded me of an angry southerner spitting out the N word.

After that meeting I did some googling...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6725653.stm

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
My Dh hates the term Ginger, he has had people at work call him that and one guy even told him he was a fallen angeal becuase of his red hair. Then again there are people like me who love all shades of red hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty