Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times

Advertisements

This thread is dedicated to all things pertaining to Red Hair. Are you a Redhead? Do you love Red hair? Society has been hard on the Redhead, often deeming those with it to be either cursed or even involved in witchcraft. Mercifully, society had advanced past those dark days, but I suspect those views were born of the fact that Red hair is so rare with less than 4% of the population naturally Red haired. The U.K., Australia, Ireland, and Denmark have the largest concentrations of Redheads. Being that I was born with Red hair, I naturally have a love of all things Red, but what I want is to hear about what you think of Redheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
I am a redhead, and I wouldn't have it any other way in spite of the discrimination, which is covert but nevertheless present. Obvoiously, people fear that which is perceived as different (something that I have never understood as I think that differences are interesting and beautiful). Ironically, it now seems that redheads are being linked to anti-diversity/racism, as the redhead gene is somehow related to racial purity. Funny how people who get discriminated against all of the time b/c they are "different" are associated with being discriminatory and/or racist.

Here is a great link about famous redheads:
Top 25 Famous Redheads - Listverse

Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
My mother had auburn hair, but my hair is blonde with just a few red hairs mixed in. However, some of the "red hair genes" were passed onto my oldest son, now in college. He has light brown hair, but red whiskers, and pale skin that never tans. He keeps a short beard, and it really shines red in the sunlight. He's not at all embarrassed by the red color, in fact, I suspect he quite likes it or he wouldn't grow it.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,196 times
I work as a makeup artist on the side, and I always say that women with red hair have the most amazing coloring (skin/eyes/hair)...

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
I forgot to ask in my OP, to all the Redheads-what color are your eyes? Also, is your hair Auburn, strawberry-blonde, or a different shade? I was born with medium Auburn, curly hair, and light blue eyes although at times they can look green.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
I am strawberry blond with blue eyes.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
My hair is naturally a light reddish brown ( I do have blond highlights) & I have pale pink skin & blue eyes. My oldest son has red hair & blue eyes, just like his papaw (my dad) which is where I assume my red comes from too

Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
I'm a redhead. Always loved my red hair.

My hair was very copper when I was younger -- "orange," I always called it -- and has turned into a dark strawberry blond as I've gotten older. These days, I call it "dishwater red." And another nice thing about having red hair is that I can, if so inclined, use a box-color on it, and it holds up nicely. Since my hair already has the red pigments, the box color takes hold and lasts for a few months.

I say my eyes are green, but a lot of people call them blue. I guess they're sort of a dark green-blue.

I've got the typical redhead's skin: pale and freckly. I don't tan well...or evenly. I burn easily and badly. Have had multiple blistering burns, and one 3rd degree sunburn -- I fell asleep on the beach -- that would have put me in the hospital if I'd been at home or with my family. I blistered and peeled that night...sheets of skin the size of saucers. Then reblistered and peeled twice more that week. Continued peeling for 3 months. Have had one cancer spot (not malignant) removed from my left cheek, and I there are a few other spots elsewhere on my body that look suspicious.

I'm not a fan of my freckles, but I joke and say that freckles are God's way of keeping redheads humble. But the nice thing about the freckles is that they've ensured daily use of sunscreen and hats and avoidance of the sun, which has kept my skin looking good. And freckles hide the occasional blemish that pops up.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
I am happy proud BRIGHT RED redhead! I have pale skin--but almost no freckles--people often common on how unusual that us. I have always been hyper about my fair skin, and I'm proud to say that I've never had a sunburn. My eyes are a dark greenish-grey color. I have very thick, wavy, and almost kinky hair--and I never get it professionally cut. I just grow it down my back and cut the dead ends.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I'm a straight-haired copper redhead, freckled in childhood, but not so many now that I'm in my forties. I have blue-gray eyes. My son is bright ginger with straight coarse hair a little brighter than mine, with bright blue eyes. My daughter is a strawberry-blond with hazel eyes. Both kids are freckled, my daughter a bit more than my son.

The other day my daughter asked me who she should marry if she wanted to have a red-haired child. I tried to explain the Mendal Square to her, but it went over her head, so I told her to aim for another redhead or a blond with red-haired relatives.

Two of my grandparents had red hair, but neither of my parents. My brother has curly, sandy-red hair and a bright red beard. My husband's very small family (he's an only child of only children) reveals no redheads, but they are of proud Scottish stock. My family is mostly Irish and British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty