Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM

141 posts, read 416,866 times

Advertisements

And I don't think many people even realise this. The way we see ourselves in the mirror is actually the mirror image of our true look. Compare a photograph of your face and put it next to a mirror, you will see the diffirences.
It was kind of funny but annoying as well when I first found out about this. Turns out I actually have a bit of a crooked nose and my eyebrows don't match at all ha ha.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM

123 posts, read 286,829 times
yeah...my mouth is crooked, and i have a couple chins...I look okay in one mirror and in the other I look like a pile of dog crap...oh well..

Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I always thought it was more like when you heard your own voice....but it isn't the way it sounds when you hear it out of your mouth. Mirrors show what other people see, but you see it differently. Guess I was wrong.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
And your profile looks fatter in pics than in the mirror, too...I learned that the hard way.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I always thought it was more like when you heard your own voice....but it isn't the way it sounds when you hear it out of your mouth.
Yeah that is another illusion as well. Thank God though, 'cause I think I sound girlish at times, but normal when I see video footage of myself.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
Can someone explain to me why you look better in some mirrors than others? Do you guys find you look better in the mirror or in pictures? OP are you saying that the only way we know what we truly look like is by looking at pictures? What about video cameras?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,633 times
It is partly based on symmetry, our mind focuses on one side of the face which might not be exactly the same as the other side, and also how the mind identifies others...

Quote:
Don't worry about that zit on your left cheek; the right side of your face is the one others notice most. In fact, if you take a picture of your right half and pair it with a mirror image, it will look more like you than two left halves put together, says Olivier Pascalis, a psychologist at the the University of Sheffield.

Why? Primates innately look first at the top left of their visual field. Once identity is established, why keep going?
Mind Your Body: Side Effects | Psychology Today

Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
A photograph is not your true look either. I think those can actually be even more deceptive.

In photos your nose may look crooked and your eyebrows uneven but there could be elements that are washed out or a shade by your nose could make it appear crooked. Look for make-up free pictures of Marylin Monroe to see how she manipulated her true nose shape with makeup.

With mirrors the lighting, angle and material affects how you look. Some major retailer caught crap for using mirrors on a tilt to give the illusion that the customer was thinner manipulating them into a more purchase positive space. That is so messed up.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
A photograph is not your true look either. I think those can actually be even more deceptive.

In photos your nose may look crooked and your eyebrows uneven but there could be elements that are washed out or a shade by your nose could make it appear crooked. Look for make-up free pictures of Marylin Monroe to see how she manipulated her true nose shape with makeup.

With mirrors the lighting, angle and material affects how you look. Some major retailer caught crap for using mirrors on a tilt to give the illusion that the customer was thinner manipulating them into a more purchase positive space. That is so messed up.
That is true also. What I do to see what I really look like is keep a mirror in front of me and another one beside my face. Then I can see my face in the mirror on the side, but it can be difficult to get a good look.

But yeah. I guess for women it is really best if they let their eyebrows get done for them because really, if you think your eyebrows or whatever looks perfect while you look in the mirror, chances are people will see it diffirently.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Pictures are more deceiving than mirrors, to be sure. The angle, lighting, zoom, flash, and just about any other artificial effect that can be attributed to the device taking the picture, affect the final product. The mirror is as accurate as you can get. How you perceive the mirror image (or the photograph, for that matter) could be different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty