Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
First of all, its still warm where I live, so the question still stands. I sometimes like to wear shorts, like from Loft that are maybe cuffed or tailored not jean shorts but mid thigh or a little higher, with a 3 1/2-4" heel thats on the casual side. Espadrille or stacked wegde.
I am 42 and I have nicely curved legs and I am a little vain about my full calf muscles and small ankles and cute knees. In heels I just feel my legs look that much better and calves are such a classy way to feel sexy!
I really like this look in the Fall , I think it works better with more tailoring . In other words a tank top and this look is not my thing.

Does this look scream tacky or desperate to any one? Cause I feel awesome in my shorts and high heel espadrilles, but maybe its "too much"? I think I look younger than 42, but don't we all?
My wife is 5'11",with legs up to her armpits, she says mid thigh or lower is a go,but no dress heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 04:13 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,651,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
First of all, its still warm where I live, so the question still stands. I sometimes like to wear shorts, like from Loft that are maybe cuffed or tailored not jean shorts but mid thigh or a little higher, with a 3 1/2-4" heel thats on the casual side. Espadrille or stacked wegde.
I am 42 and I have nicely curved legs and I am a little vain about my full calf muscles and small ankles and cute knees. In heels I just feel my legs look that much better and calves are such a classy way to feel sexy!
I really like this look in the Fall , I think it works better with more tailoring . In other words a tank top and this look is not my thing.

Does this look scream tacky or desperate to any one? Cause I feel awesome in my shorts and high heel espadrilles, but maybe its "too much"? I think I look younger than 42, but don't we all?
The wearing of high heels with shorts is very retro. Think pin-up poster beauties such as Betty Grable or Rita Hayworth during the WWII era. Still fashionable today with stars such as Katy Perry.

I think the look can be very stunning, but not on everyone. I think it is also a vintage look to be worn by the younger gals. I don't care how young looking and gorgeous someone is, I believe by the time you hit your forties, the shorts, skirts and dresses need to come down a bit. And I don't mean below the knee or anything. Just closer to your knees than your arse. With mid-thigh shorts (no shorter), there is still plenty to show off. Keep it classy. Anything shorter and I bet someone will say it is cheap looking.

This reminds me of a time I was sitting in my car at a stop sign waiting for a pedestrian to cross the street. The young woman had long blond hair, a short black skirt and high heels on. She looked very stylish, until she turned her head and I got a look at her face. Oh my, she must have been 70 years old. Not a pretty sight. I think some things are just best left to the young ladies.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
Shorts and heels at any age may say something not so nice about the gal wearing them, but we live in a world that says "if it feels good do it." Some women can pull it off better than others. If u can live with it I can surely live around it. Each to his own

Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm not a fan either of wearing heels w/shorts, regardless of age.
I had the same thought.

If you have great legs and want to wear heels, why not don a skirt???

Shorts and heels always look a bit.....uhhhhmmmm, questionable. But an above the knee skirt with heels can look killer on any pair of fit, toned legs.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I think we need visual aids in this thread....

This look is still classy

So is this one
This length and style is right on. Thanks Callipoppy I am bad at visual aids!
Its sort of a city chic look, no one would put me as a Hooters waitress, but jean shorts and strappy or dress heels, yes, that look could go there.Also my shoes are cuter than those, but those are cute and similar. I like a vintage Rita Hayworth on holiday in Mexico look, I think its a sexy and classy look. Yes its shopping, errands , not work .

I think a crucial element of style is always editing yourself and having an awareness of your image but also feeling free to break some rules if something suits you. I have not tanned my face since I was 19 and yes it makes a big difference, so I think women have more knowledge on how to look young longer.

I don't know why, but I only like above knee skirts with flats or low heels for day/casual. It looks hookerish to me, unless its a full skirt, or with tights and boots w/ heels. Tailored shorts don't try as hard as a short skirt. Just my perception!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
I think celebrities can get away with certain outfits more easily than the average woman can. The wearer of high heels and shorts may feel she looks fashionable and classy, but to many she looks cheap. But as Sun queen said, "If u can live with it I can surely live around it. Each to his own".

Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think celebrities can get away with certain outfits more easily than the average woman can. The wearer of high heels and shorts may feel she looks fashionable and classy, but to many she looks cheap. But as Sun queen said, "If u can live with it I can surely live around it. Each to his own".
It also depends where the person is wearing the shorts with heels ensemble....SoCal, Arizona, Florida, etc...not so "risque" in our parts.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:17 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
I find that look to be, ummmm, trashy. I do prefer it to the Uggs and shorts look, but not by much.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I find that look to be, ummmm, trashy. I do prefer it to the Uggs and shorts look, but not by much.
LOL, exactly! If someone has great legs, they'll be great legs in flats that are appropriate for shorts. (Don't even want to recall what I saw yesterday: a guy in crocs w/black socks and his shorts..... ACK)

Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I think, if your perception of your legs is correct, that espadrilles or wedges are fine with shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty