Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times

Advertisements

You may have heard of this back in the 80s, it was called Color Me Beautiful. It was considered a "fad" and gradually went out of style in the 90s. I was reading a blog a few days ago and ran in to the theory again which got me thinking...

Essie is not just a brand, but a person (http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/02/08/essie-is-not-just-a-brand-but-a-person%E2%80%94and-she-says-everyone-has-a-signature-nail-polish-colour-whats-yours/ - broken link)

I realized I had read about it recently in Gossip Girl costumer designer Eric Daman's book, You Know You Want It. He has an actual section on it-- what colors to wear if you are a Spring, etc...... I was dismissive, felt it wasn't "important" information.

So I decided to surf around and found out the original theory has been updated and expanded to include 3 versions of every season, making 12 seasons rather than 4.

Seasonal Color Analysis | How to Find Your Best Colors with a Free Color Analysis Chart

I don't know why I dismissed seasonal color theory... guess I thought it was boring or too hard to figue out. So I spent some time trying to figure out my season-- I'm a clear winter but always think I might really be an autumn.

As soon as I decided I went and purged out my nail colors, realizing I can never make nude work. It makes my skin look idk, funky.

Were you color typed back in the day?
What season were/are you?
Do you think the theory is b.s.?
If so, why?
According to the 12 season theory, what season are you?
Would you buy clothes or decorate your house according to "your colors"?

http://beautyeditor.ca/wp-content/uploads/seasonal-color-analysis.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times
I always thought it was BS until a thread on cruise critic. Now I think it's the real deal. I'm definitely a spring and I look much better in spring colors. The problem is that I often have trouble telling the Spring colors. A key way to tell if you are warm (Spring, autumn) or cool ( winter, summer) is if you look better in white or ivory. Warm tones look better in Ivory and cool tones look better in white
I"m going to illustrate this. Please be kind. These pics were taken when I was trying to determine season, so I was draping cloths of different colors

Me in Cool tones. Both are winter and they don't look right

This is me in spring tones

To me there is no doubt which palate looks better

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-12-2011 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: trying to resize pics

Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I remember that idea. But eons ago someone I liked and trusted in "fashion" told me to capitalize on the color of my eyes. (Which are an unusual blue.) So I'm sticking with what works. I'd say most of my clothes are in the Soft Autumn category. And the blue on the far left is "my" blue. I wear that blue and I know I'll get compliments because it sets off and draws attention to the color of my eyes. Love that blue.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Gosh Jenny, you really do have great skin!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, a total lack of sun damage. The spring colors really look great!! Deciding on clear winter was really hard for me, I always want to be lighter and softer.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 PM

sorry, Guys, I'm trying to make the pics smaller. It's not working.
To the sun damage, despite 16 years of living in San Diego, I have always been careful of the sun

HERE is a great blog on the issue, with lots of info
http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-12-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Jenny, the pictures didn't show for me at first. But WOW! Those are some fabulous eyes you have. Accentuate them! You have great skin but, OMG, that eye color!!! It's absolutely unique.

Have you ever had your eye makup done by a professional? Have you tied darker brows? I rarely give advice, but just for fun darken your brows and no eyeliner under your eyes. Just mascara. Right now that LOVELY color is being washed away because of that lovely light skin.

Pop! I want to see those eyes just pop! Draw people to the eye color, not the eye makeup, because your eye color is very special.

(I am seeing a little Jen Aniston. I'd seriously look at the colors she wears. Her skin is darker, but you have very similar eye color.)

Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Jenny, the pictures didn't show for me at first. But WOW! Those are some fabulous eyes you have. Accentuate them! You have great skin but, OMG, that eye color!!! It's absolutely unique.
Thabnks They're very green with gold flecks. That's another way to tell if you're a warm tone is the gold flecks in the eyes. When I was a kid I hated the green eyes. I wanted brown like so many other people.
I now have 3 kids. One with Blue eyes and brown hair , One with brown eyes and red hair and one with green eyes and blond hair. I once told my green eyed son, who was 3 at the time, that he had his mother's eyes. He looked really upset and said "I'll give them back"

Somehow my pictures have been resized. A big thanks if a moderator did it

Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I'd deepen the tone of your hair, add some chestnut and make the red much more subtle than it is now. It just distracts from your face, which is lovely.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Jenny, people pay big money to get contacts with that eye color. And you can't buy it. And a professional photographer might light your eyes with a yellow light to bring out that green. (It's what they did for Vivien Leigh so she could play green-eyed Scarlett O'Hara.)

You are one lucky girl.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Have you ever had your eye makup done by a professional? Have you tied darker brows? I rarely give advice, but just for fun darken your brows and no eyeliner under your eyes. Just mascara. Right now that LOVELY color is being washed away because of that lovely light skin.

Pop! I want to see those eyes just pop! Draw people to the eye color, not the eye makeup, because your eye color is very special.

(I am seeing a little Jen Aniston. I'd seriously look at the colors she wears. Her skin is darker, but you have very similar eye color.)
No, i've never had my eyes professionally done and I very rarely use eyeliner. My hands are really shaky and I end up looking like a squirrel if I try it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty