Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:58 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times

Advertisements

What do you consider a boutique?
My question is for two reasons. One is that I have been reading for years about patronizing locally-owned businesses rather than larger chains, and I assume that includes smaller clothing stores. The other is that I'm not sure I WANT to buy stuff at them.
I don't know what is defined as a small, locally-owned clothing store. There are a few where I live, in Cincinnati, but they are a distance away, the prices are much higher than I can afford, and most importantly, they don't carry larger sizes and even if they did, the merchandise I've seen in them are not to my taste at all. The clothing I see in them are overly decorated, heavy, and are in either very dark colors or fluorescents, neither of which looks good on me. The jewelry is huge and gaudy and the purses are humongous. Once in a while I'll see a scarf I like but I can only use so many scarves.
Am I missing something? Am I supposed to like these styles? Do boutiques in other cities have different merchandise than what I've mentioned? Are smaller clothing shops more common elsewhere? Do you use boutiques just for special occasions, or do you buy outfits there that you wear every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Boutiques are locally owned small shops. There are many kinds of boutiques, and they cater to different tastes. There are high-end boutiques that deal mostly with unique jewelry designs, or avant-garde clothing designers, and others that specialize in goth, while others are "anything that goes good with pink, except for pink," etc. etc. etc.

One reason that they tend to be more expensive, is that they don't buy in bulk. They might only buy 2 of this, 3 of that, and one each of that, that, and that. And then they'll buy a dozen of one type of earring to accessorize the outfit. And then - they buy one of each from -that- designer, and two different, but related outfits from that OTHER designer... until their store is filled with unusual finds, unique items, specialty designers, and just a few items that anyone can get anywhere for less.

They don't normally buy from the same manufacturers that Target buys from. Rather than buying from a factory, they buy from a designer. Many boutiques only buy clothing from local designers, who don't have big semi-automated factories but instead have six or seven people sewing in their small shop in a warehouse district in town, and do the finishing touches themselves.

Tastes for boutiques tend to be more ecclectic, and since they don't appeal to the masses, they can't make 400 of each and charge less per item.

You might go to 20 boutiques in a district, and find one item you actually like enough to buy. That's okay. Chances are though, if you have spending money, you'll find something of interest. Don't feel obligated to buy though. Boutique owners should be accustomed to people walking in just to look at all the interesting stuff, as though they were visiting an art gallery.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Kleenex Boutique Tissues
(Boo-teek, boo-teek)
Kleenex Boutique Tissues
Skinny, mini shapes
Ahh Boo-teek tissues
New, new, new!

(Sorry, but have a cookie if you remember that.)

Anon gave a great description. I prefered small shops and boutiques when I worked in L.A. (In my field, it helped to be a little different and stand out.) I consider any small shop that has things you can't find anywhere else (and that are worth paying more for) a boutique.

I'd say duck into those places whenever you have the chance. You never know when you're going to find something you love.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Boutiques are fun! I think because of the French name people tend to write them off or snub them as uppity little joints for high maintenance fashionista's or snooty upper-class memaw's with too much spending money and time on their hands... and perhaps some are... but look for the hole-in-the-wall ones in funky 'hoods and artsy locales... those are the real treasures.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 AM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default another option

Where I've had better luck at buying jewelry, and a few articles of clothing, are at garage sales and at antique shows or malls. I've bought a LOT of second-hand jewelry, nothing "genuine," just costume.
Now that I think about it, the local jewelry stores are all individually family owned, and I've bought my earrings with the genuine gems through them. I guess that's the closest I've come to boutique shopping.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
I prefer to shop at boutiques for a few different reasons. In fact, I rarely ever shop at the mall or department stores.
First of all, I am thin and with vanity sizes in the US, even the smallest size at a dept store or mass produced store don't fit me. Boutiques often carry smaller labels and I find them to be more accurate when it comes to sizing. The same can be said about the higher end labels, they do not run big like others.
Next, I get tired of seeing the same old thing everywhere and often have no interest. Boutiques again, carry labels that might not be at the other stores and more interesting, more attractive, etc clothing can be found.
Often, yes, they might be more expensive, but I feel its worth it for a better fitting and more attractive product.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Often, yes, they might be more expensive, but I feel its worth it for a better fitting and more attractive product.
Ha-ha, I bet most "feel" that way. It's just a question of being or not being able to afford it. I doubt anybody would say she prefers Wal-Mart's junk.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Boutiques can be a great place to find an unusual item to add an individual touch to a mass-produced outfit. A simple black pencil skirt and blouse bought from the local fashion warehouse can be topped with a vest made from embroidered chinese silks, or a hand-tooled silver belt, or a tailored jacket with unusual detailing. Because the OP is a plus-size woman, I know it will be more difficult to find a boutique that specializes in plus-size clothing and matches the OP's tastes. It's hard to find many choices even in a large department store!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
A boutique is a small store where the OWNER picks out the brands and clothing they will carry. They will usually cater to only select sizes and/or styles. The vibe of the store reflects the style and taste of the owner.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
You never know, there is always someone who will say something!! I have known women, organic farmers, who felt uncomfortable in anything besides old levis and a tshirt (and I doubt they mean the designer ones from a boutique)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, I bet most "feel" that way. It's just a question of being or not being able to afford it. I doubt anybody would say she prefers Wal-Mart's junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty