Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times

Advertisements

Why-do you think "gay" is something bad or that you are better than a gay person because you are straight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredk View Post
Americans are so sad..

To answer the question, NO. It just means that the guy has more sophistication and usually more money than you.

I tried to rep you!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
No. I work with a lot of metrosexual guys. I do not like it when guys try to look better than girls. That's just me.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 AM

123 posts, read 256,716 times
No ,not at all. my hubbys is very well dressed all the time and he is not gay! I know a lot of heterosexual men that are very well dressed so when I see a well dressed man I think exactly the opposite. (that he is straight) ) lol

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Did you interview them? How do you know the gay guys dress like hipsters? If so how would you know if it's groupthink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post

Then every white-collar guy in LA is gay?

I think here in SoCal there is a "gay" style for young males that's over-the-top & flamboyant with waxed chests, deep-V tees, skin tight shirts & pants, designer sunglasses & guy makeup. They don't necessarily dress up like this because they like the look, but rather it's just considered hip & trendy among their peers. Kind of like group think that they all get caught up in.

But every clique & subculture has its own dress code. Teen girls preen around in their uggs, monied hipsters rock Japanese selvedge, and wealthy fat baby-boomers throw on their Tommy Bahama's. As much as we hate to admit it every person's circle of friends & acquaintances becomes a fraternity with their own set of rules & expectations.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 AM

12 posts, read 34,916 times
Default Do you assume a guy who dresses well is gay?

If any guy put makeup like mascara,nail paint etc so yes i will surely assume him as a gay.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 AM

17 posts, read 31,541 times
No way, just because a guy likes to make the most of his appearance it certainly does not mean he is gay, a guy who who presents him self well and wears nice clothes is normally what I go for in a guy!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,678 times
Men dressing bad in the US is a generational thing. Dress was more important in the early 20th Century, but the "casual look" become more predominant in the latter half of the 20th Century. Now, I think we're starting to shift back a little bit to where men's dress is more important again.

So the answer is "no", I don't assume anyone who dresses well is gay. And some gay men dress terribly.

I would look for "gayface (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=something-*****-about-that-face - broken link)" if I were trying to discern someone's sexuality

Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
so basically the majority of people want men to look like slobs so they will not be confused for being gay???

it is the year 2011 ans Americans are still as backwards with thinking as they were in the 1600's

Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
Men dressing bad in the US is a generational thing. Dress was more important in the early 20th Century, but the "casual look" become more predominant in the latter half of the 20th Century. Now, I think we're starting to shift back a little bit to where men's dress is more important again.

So the answer is "no", I don't assume anyone who dresses well is gay. And some gay men dress terribly.

I would look for "gayface (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=something-*****-about-that-face - broken link)" if I were trying to discern someone's sexuality
I would ask them if they had a boyfriend/partner if I were trying to discern someone's sexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty