Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dress up day for work, do you have it and participate?
#onlyinSiliconValley 2 14.29%
Yes, it is fun 3 21.43%
No way, I hate dressing up 6 42.86%
I'll share in the comments 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

So I work in a tech company (read this as yoga pants or jeans and a company tee shirt are a typical outfit.)

So a few different teams have decided to initiate once a week dress up days. Aka people look like they are going to work one day a week.

I did participate and I wore the type of outfit I used to wear to work daily until I was just way too fancy for my work environment and I went more casual:
knit pencil skirt, nice top, slingback flats

Do you have dress up days at work? Do you participate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
No, unless having to appear before the Board of Directors, it’s business casual M-F and casual Friday. During football season most wear jeans and a Seahawks shirt on Fridays.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:57 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,866 times
Not unless a client is coming in. And even then it maybe jeans and a blazer or a nicer dress.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,509,376 times
What's the social pressure to dress up there? Do people care if others don't dress up?
I think it sounds like interesting if there's no pressure. I'd love a super casual workplace. It's been a while since I've had that. I'm just sort of casual.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,756 times
"Dressing up" for me has been the same for decades. A new colored "T" shirt and clean blue jeans (I don't wear/ own jeans with holes in them). I spent 18 month in S.E. Asia in the 60s soaked to the skin most days. I swore I'd never be wet or have torn cloths again!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
What's the social pressure to dress up there? Do people care if others don't dress up?
I think it sounds like interesting if there's no pressure. I'd love a super casual workplace. It's been a while since I've had that. I'm just sort of casual.
Homestly, since it is so casual I do not like to dress too much to seem out of place. There is zero social pressure. The CEO wears a hoodie, t-shirt and jeans most days. With loafers. He’s in his early 50s. The CFO wears similar but he’ll also wear a button down and khakis.

Women are also casual at all levels. The women that are senior execs tend to wear jeans, plain t-shirts and a drapey cardigan.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
I'm in the other end of the equation. Small office with a no jeans rule. I don't have to wear a suit, but my biz casual isn't all that casual. Although, I have found that my boss doesn't recognize jeans that aren't blue, so on days when I know we don't have clients, I will sneak in say seafoam jeans with a sweater set.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
When I first started I still wore what I had always worn: dress pants, skirts, dress top, cardigans or blazers.
But almost everybody here dresses super casual, so I've toned it down.

Actually, I think I have worn jeans (two days were colored jeans) every day this week. Might be the first time I've done that. It's nice having the option to be so casual, but I miss dressing nice.

We only have to actually wear regular business clothes if we have visitors that are important.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
I work in a very small office. The boss comes in with shorts, t-shirt & deck shoes or flip flops. I dress up a little more than that but still casual. Today is city shorts and a nice sleeveless top with sandals.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:53 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,714,114 times
I personally practice a dress up day just to dress up and feel good about myself. I do find a boost in my activity if I am dressed up a bit. My work place has all type of dress style, most people follow business casual but business casual can mean a lot for female. Most guys wear button down and khaki but there are several who wear Tshirt and jeans all year around. Women on the other hand wear button down/cardigan to bling bling everyday to who knows what.

Last year I realize over time my style at work has been getting casual and casual & I have been trying to put some effort into boring work wear like cardigan and jeans. But I have only managed to get myself to dress up when upper management visits or when I feel like I need a pick me up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty