Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I still don't understand how when they say 36-24-38 they aren't talking about band.
If I am understanding correctly,36-26-38,the 36 isn't band measurement.
So in the past,I wonder if they measure the way we do by adding the 4 0r 5 inches.
I was looking on the list of hourglasses and their breasts seem smaller than what was listed as their actual size.
I don't know if there's a standard people go by, but I think that 36 is the bust size not the band. To make things clear, I usually replace that with my bra size if someone needs my measurements, so 28D-23-35 rather than 33-23-35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I found a nice illustrated page that might be helpful:

Bra Fitting - How to Measure Bra Size
That does sound bizarre, but it seems to be true in my experience...

I wonder why that is... Because a band corresponding to the exact measurement when you measure yourself naked would be way too tight! Even if you add 2 or 3 inches, it'll still be tight!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM

I got curious about this Bravissimo brand, even though it's for booby ladies.

They may be the experts, but I think there's no way in heck this woman can possibly wear a 34 band!

Bravissimo | Big Bras, Lingerie and Swimwear for D-KK cup women

I wear only strapless bras and my experience may be different, but I still can't see it! I mean, she may be able to squeeze into it somehow, but she'd have rolls of fat on the back...

Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

They may be the experts, but I think there's no way in heck this woman can possibly wear a 34 band!

I wear only strapless bras and my experience may be different, but I still can't see it! I mean, she may be able to squeeze into it somehow, but she'd have rolls of fat on the back...

I agree. No way is she a 34 or even a 36.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

Well I had a heck of a time finding a new bra and the same band size with a bigger cup was what I needed. I just kept trying to squeeze into common sizes and it would lay wrong or squish. One of the things I noticed that make it work is that the larger the cup size the wider the side band. A 32c has a much thinner side band than a 28d in the same style. The lady pictured looks heavier because that is what a bad bra can do. If she was shirtless you could get a better gauge of how large her ribs are. She needed three more inches in the cup projection and not in the band. With the hooks in the back it adjusts that band size a bit too. So the 34 is worn as a 35ish. Thats pretty close to 36. I think that is a really common band size of most people with that body size/type (not thin but not fat either).

Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
So the 34 is worn as a 35ish. Thats pretty close to 36. I think that is a really common band size of most people with that body size/type (not thin but not fat either).
I can't see that... I'm 5'2" and I was wearing 34 at about 122-123 lbs. Now I've gained about 5 lbs and I have to go to 36. This woman is waaaayy bigger than I am. This would be 40 at least! I mean, I can probably squeeze into 30 not being able to breathe and having fat pinched all over the place, too, but that's hardly anybody's idea of perfection...

They should've had a picture of her back! The view from the side is good enough, though... major squeeze into something you don't really fit in...

Old 11-15-2011, 11:47 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,649 times
I'm 5'2", weigh quite a bit more than you, and wear a 34-36 band (depending on the manufacturer). I just don't carry a lot of fat around the area and I don't get big rolls of fat from wearing a properly sized band. I'd probably be a 32 if I lost the weight. Suffice to say, everyone carries their weight differently.

The band is supposed to be a really close fit. It shouldn't cut into you, but it shouldn't be loose either. If I follow that ridiculous practice of adding 4-5", I would receive no support from the bra at all, and I'd likely wind up with the straps incorrectly doing all the work and killing my shoulders.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
If I follow that ridiculous practice of adding 4-5", I would receive no support from the bra at all, and I'd likely wind up with the straps incorrectly doing all the work and killing my shoulders.
Well, it's not that I ever even knew about this advice - that just coincides with the evidence in my case. There's absolutely no way I could wear a size 30 band, which is the actual measurement.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Well the lady does appear rather short to me too. I only have a couple inches on you and at the same weight I could wear 28-32.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
My exact measurement does correspond to the band size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty