Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times

Advertisements

I've a feeling they do, and I don't know if it's just me. This looks rather striking for me when it comes to looking at photographs of previous generations, especially when it comes to young folks (often 20-30 year olds).

I've noticed that if you compare photographs of say a 20-something year old from previous generations to a 20-something year-old now, the modern men and women will often look more teenage-like, and sometimes teenagers now look like they have more child-like faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 PM
s06

105 posts, read 256,493 times
Well, in previous generations, more young adults smoked or used drugs, and/or had to work on their family's farm for long hours in the sun, all of which ages a person. They also were expected to wear more formal clothing; Women had to perm their hair or put in up in a bun, and wear furs, dresses and/or corsets; Men had to grease their hair, grow mustaches and beards, and wear wool coats, trousers and vests.

Nowadays, young adults live healthier lives, and dress codes are more relaxed, so, to me, it's no wonder that they appear to be younger than they really are.

I also think that actors in their 20s and 30s who play teenagers on T.V. shows or movies, cause people to think that that's what teenagers should look like in real life.

When my mother was in her 20s, people thought she was younger than she really was. I've noticed that when I wear formal clothing, children and teens don't approach me as though I'm their peer, people don't ask me my age, nor say, "I thought you were fourteen/ sixteen!"

Thank goodness for blazers.

Last edited by s06; 01-25-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 PM

160 posts, read 335,346 times
Yes,I totally agree with you. Looking at old family photos, 20s and 30 yr olds look like the are in their 40s. I also agree with life style changes effect the war you look like smoking, alcohol, eating lard and fatty foods, working in the sun or harsh weather. Also style of dress, hair in a bun, long dresses, beards, the usual antique style of dressing.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
I think it's mostly because older photographs show people with out-of-stye clothing and hairstyles that we associate with older people. If they were dressed in modern fashions, with modern hair and (for women) makeup, they probably wouldn't. Also, older photos are black and white, or orange-saturated colors from the 60s and 70s, which probably add to the "this was a while ago" impression.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
Actually, no. Most of the young adults I see now look older to me--especially the girls. I chalk up it up to too much make-up and too-skinny brows.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Also, back in the day a 20-year-old was thought to be a fully functioning adult, capable of taking on adult responsibilities and relationships. Today, we think of someone that age as barely out of childhood.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Also, back in the day a 20-year-old was thought to be a fully functioning adult, capable of taking on adult responsibilities and relationships. Today, we think of someone that age as barely out of childhood.
weeeeeeeeeeelllllllll......lol

I have to say my dad aged better than my brother and the reverse for me and my mother.

My father was more active and positive minded.
Mother smoked and drank more. Sometimes active. Sun lover.

Brother- sed lifestyle
me- just barely do drinking/smoking. usually active. sun avoider

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Previous times, people took a picture once a year with something like this.

http://ursispaltenstein.ch/blog/imag...ry_cameras.jpg

Family dresses up. Then takes the steam engine to the town. Poses. Every person is on one million mood swings.

Today, anyone can take a picture from a smartphone. Plenty of options. And I just got a chemical peel to make myself prettier

Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I think its because more people are getting surgery now than before.
I didn't know about some teens getting surgery until I read that some parents give them the money for surgery as graduation presents.

But
The actresses of old were more,idk,real than the ones now.
Their looks seem like they were easy to obtain and they were more average compared to now.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytibby View Post
Also style of dress,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Also, back in the day a 20-year-old was thought to be a fully functioning adult, capable of taking on adult responsibilities and relationships.
I think these two posts have it!

Forty years ago, when people moved into adulthood, there were changes in dress - and style - that went along with it. It was expected that an adult woman or man dress a certain way - and you were an adult once you were out of high school.

But now? Girls in high school dress very similar to 40-year-old women. There is no "distinct" difference in dress or style anymore.

Remember Mom Jeans? That is the last item I can think of that really said - "older mature woman" - and most women under 50 don't wear them anymore! They figured out they made them look unfashionable and old, and so they stopped wearing them.

It was also expected 40 years ago that women get an adult haircut when they reached a certain age. When I was in high school I remember hearing comments about women who had long hair past the age of 30. You were supposed to cut your hair, once you got that age. Thank heaven that "rule" was gone by the time I reached 30!

That said, if you're not talking style - and are instead talking about skin care, then yes, I definitely think a lot of women are better able to hold off aging now. If you use a little Retinol and Vitamin C and some Alpha Hydrox, your skin can look great, no matter what your age! And I'm very glad to have all those products - thanks to progress in the skin care industry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty