Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that no one has mentioned dying your hair when it starts to turn gray. Most women (not all) will look a lot older with gray hair vs. their natural hair color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Several generations ago more people worked manufacturing or labor intensive jobs and were exposed to to the weather, sun, and other elements far more frequently than today. That likely explains why those in their 20s and 30s looked older a few generations back. Also, they had more responsibilites and pressures of assuming a distinct life plan at a young age as well as definied familial roles.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:57 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Moderator cut: image removed

Christie Brinkley is 57. I'm also pretty sure she's a witch.

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 01:50 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
She looks fantastic!! (But check out her hands.)

Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
People actually do look younger now because of medical advances. My great-grandparents died in their 60s, but when I saw a picture of them, they looked to be in their 80s by today's standards.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
When I see old films of young women or even teenage girls from the 50s and 60s sometimes I almost can't tell if they're middle aged women, because the middle aged women and older women of today (those that were young back then) still wear the styles that were popular back then. It seems people hold on to the fashions of their youth. Just like all the hippies I see with long hair. Natalie Wood in 'Rebel Without a Cause', for instance, looked so lady-like with her curled, short hairstyle, the skirt she wore, her shoes. So did the girls in the 'bad group' which would probably amuse a lot of teens today.

A lot of women in the 60s seemed to already look like old women in their 30s or even late 20s. I think it's partly due to make-up. Back in the 1900s, people just grew up faster and there wasn't really such a thing as 'adolescence.' People went straight from being children to adults. Weirdly women underwent puberty later which makes it stranger.

Many 20 year old's today behave like and wear the same sort of clothes as teenagers so it can be hard to tell.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A lot of women in the 60s seemed to already look like old women in their 30s or even late 20s. I think it's partly due to make-up. Back in the 1900s, people just grew up faster and there wasn't really such a thing as 'adolescence.' People went straight from being children to adults. Weirdly women underwent puberty later which makes it stranger. Many 20 year old's today behave like and wear the same sort of clothes as teenagers so it can be hard to tell.
I agree. We (older people) do look younger now, and it is mainly due to our sense of fashion, hair, lifestyle and sometimes "cosmetic help" like many of you have already mentioned. However to me, the biggest reason why was fashion. There were "rules" almost that women had to follow once they turned 40: get your hair cut shorter an almost in the same style, wear pants that had elastic bands, no more jeans, no more short skirts/dresses, wear heavy makeup to make you look "younger" , no more high heels unless you were going to a "function"; and then when you turned 60 it got even worse. And when you take into consideration the lifestyle (smoking, lack of exercise, etc), it is amazing to me as when I look at my mother at my age, I am like wow.

When I was in high school, many thought I was in my 30's due to my style of clothing, hair and make-up. The "teenage" niches were only slowly coming into vogue. There was no "teen" or "junior" dept. that catered to the youth before the 60's really. Yes, teens had their jeans and "leather" (if you were a "bad" boy or "loose" girl), but otherwise, teens dressed mostly like miniature adults as they had been for generations with just a few "tweaks" here and there, and that is why I began designing my own clothes while in high school. It really wasn't until the mod influence and magazines like Seventeen came on the scene that clothes manufacturers actively began catering to this age group. And with the 60's, came the "breaking" of the fashion rules which continued on until now where really no set "house" dictates what women must wear as it is now more an individual style.

And when you add in the other things that have been mentioned, we truly do look younger and due to that fact, are more vibrant and feel like we "will not go gentle into that good night".
Attached Thumbnails
Compared to previous times, do people look younger for their age now?-mom.jpg   Compared to previous times, do people look younger for their age now?-picture-66.jpg  

Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM

I agree, it's mostly fashion.

Yes your mother definitely looks like a 'grandma', while you just look 'middle aged.' She could almost look like your mother today! I think the hair makes a big difference.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Christie Brinkley is 57. I'm also pretty sure she's a witch.
Whoa mama, has she had a lot of work done?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Whoa mama, has she had a lot of work done?
Nothing confirmed. Rumors of facelift and botox. I'd guess it's a combination of very well done plastic surgery and excellent genes. If you don't look at her hands, feet, elbows, and knees then she could easily be in her early 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty