Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times

Advertisements

My finger nails are pretty arched and they push out my finger tips. is there a way to kind of flatten them out and make them some what narrower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM

410 posts, read 743,145 times
I have wondered the same thing. I have that problem, but just with my index fingers and middle fingers where the nail seems to get wider at the tip. I always feel like it looks odd when I wear nail polish.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
If it just changed you should see a doctor.

But if its always been that way its a bit of shaping and painting skill. My middle finger has more a fan shape than an oval. I round the corners and skip painting to the very edge. Then when its dry I make sure to keep my fingertips hydrated. I have used olive oil, blistex in complete moisture (hydrates better than chapstick) and gold bond ultimate healing for that) You can also put a clear coat that goes to the edge and clean up the cuticle with a dipped q-tip in remover. This helps blend if your nails appear dry when natural.

Make sure you are pushing your cuticles back all the way and also add some wideness to the base of your nailbed by doing so.When you make that push back look more square than its natural oval it also helps blend in the nail.

Check out some vids on youtube. I thought this one girl had perfect oval tails. It was just the way she laid on the polish. If I find it I will post.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdL_cj8ezDg

Not the one I was look for. But she shows the three stroke method that makes it easy to have nice edges.
Notice how she doesn't take the color all the way to the cuticle edge and it stays on the nail alone.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I'm having a hard time picturing what the issue is, but if it's something recent/severe, you may want to see a doctor. Sometimes nail problems can be a sign of vitamin deficiencies or other health problems: Slide show: 7 fingernail problems not to ignore - MayoClinic.com

Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times
They have always been like that, but with the flared out finger tips it makes playing guitar a little annoying sometimes.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
They have always been like that, but with the flared out finger tips it makes playing guitar a little annoying sometimes.
Maybe make them a bit shoter and round the ends as suggested?
I know I can't play with squared tips or long tips. They catch. Smoothed ones glide over more easily. But they have to be short. Elixir strings are easier to play period but with nails it helps. There is also this stuff called fast fret that helps with the glide. Have you guitar adjusted too.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 AM

9 posts, read 9,911 times
It is not a beauty problem it is a problem that needs a treatment from doctor.You must go to doctor for treatment.He will provide you treatment that can flatten your nails automatically without any pain or suffering.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspnao View Post
It is not a beauty problem it is a problem that needs a treatment from doctor.You must go to doctor for treatment.He will provide you treatment that can flatten your nails automatically without any pain or suffering.

p.s. I wanted to add and forgot:

In my time off from playing guitar (years) due to injury my nail shape changed. I do wonder if playing guitar had something to do with making the problem worse. Especially on my pointer finger on the fret hand.(usually the one I pressed the hardest with and used the most) I am healthy and fine as I had multiple check ups since.

Sorry...Painting my nails today and noticed it. LOL
They are more rounded these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty