Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think all (over/underweight) models should be treated equally and banned on BMI factors?
Yes 2 14.29%
No 9 64.29%
Other - describe below 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Model Ban Poll - If they ban underweight..... If they are banning underweight models based on health reasons alone...

Shouldn't they ban models who are a high weight that show a risk on the BMI scale or in the waist measurement(heart disease risk factor measurements)?

I don't really see a difference. Do you think underweight and overweight models should be treated equally if the objection is to show the picture of health based on less than accurate diagnostic tools?

Do you think all (over/underweight) models should be treated equally and banned on BMI factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I say no just because its not an accurate tool to diagnose health status of either body type being that most models are above average height and different than average frame sizes.

But if they are going to ban skinny models because of health they should treat everyone equally and ban models who are too high on the BMI then as well. Otherwise to me it just seems like pandering a marketing scheme to people who have an anti-skinny agenda on the brain and labeling that lie as "for the health of all".

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
The crocodile seconds whatever Ops votes on coz she's hot.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I voted for "other". Here's why - first of all BMI is a complete joke. It baloney. Hogwash. Its a horrible method of determning someone's health/weight so it should never be used or discussed. Secondly, I mean come on here, how many designers actually use sickly thin models to display their work? Very very very few. Most models now days are NOT the sickly thin waifs that people who are stuck in their 1970s and 1980s mindsets seem to think they are.

I am a HUGE fan of FTV (Fashion TV in HD) and rarely if EVER see any models on the runway who appear or look like they are sickly thin. This is 2012 not 1970, things are quite a bit different now. Those who actually watch and/or are up to date on todays fashion and popular collections will know that this is not a problem or issue. Sure some models may be thinner than what I normally would go for in real life, but that is okay.

True Religion Bikini Show - Miami Swim Fashion Week 2010 l FashionTV - FTV.com - YouTube

FTV - Milan | Pin-Up Stars - Spring 2011 W S/S 11 | FashionTV - FTV.com - YouTube

Best Of Paris Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2012 - Fashion Week Review | FashionTV - YouTube

Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I voted no.
BMI is fatally flawed.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Model Ban Poll - If they ban underweight..... If they are banning underweight models based on health reasons alone...

Shouldn't they ban models who are a high weight that show a risk on the BMI scale or in the waist measurement(heart disease risk factor measurements)?

I don't really see a difference. Do you think underweight and overweight models should be treated equally if the objection is to show the picture of health based on less than accurate diagnostic tools?

Do you think all (over/underweight) models should be treated equally and banned on BMI factors?
I think the double-standard is dumb.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
BMI is a terrible tool to use when banning somebody from being a model.

Models are there to make the clothes look good. If the clothes look good on an extremely skinny individual, then let him/her model it. If the clothes look good on an extremely overweight individual, then let him/her model it. Fashion shows are not generally done to show "average" consumers what they look like in a specific piece. They're to show off styles and concepts.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I believe that every model who doesn't look like me should be banned. Every time I watch tv or flip through a magazine I want to only see 40-ish slim black women; anything is is a personal affront to me, solely intended to make me feel bad about myself. And yes, this should become a law.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Doesn't really matter to me.

Personally, I think most modeling is ridiculous and I don't really base any of my life decisions on someone who makes a living by being 'ridiculously good looking'.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Doesn't really matter to me.

Personally, I think most modeling is ridiculous and I don't really base any of my life decisions on someone who makes a living by being 'ridiculously good looking'.
What about really, really, ridiculously good looking? Does that make a difference?

Man, I wish there were a Zoolander emoticon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty