Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:46 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my wife is always noticing what clothing brands other women wear and assuming they are better off financially if they have more expensive brands. that can be offset sometimes my other factors that give them away as overextending themselves on certain items (fancy purse, crappy car). so my wife would definitely say yes to this question.
I take great pleasure in rejecting certain designer wear, especially anything with a logo, because I don't want to be a part of the herd, and also because I'm not paying a premium to advertise for some designer.
Now, if I were really rich, I would pay for couture, which is so well made that you could wear it inside out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I take great pleasure in rejecting certain designer wear, especially anything with a logo, because I don't want to be a part of the herd, and also because I'm not paying a premium to advertise for some designer.
everyone has their own justifications for what they do or dont do.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Quote:
my wife is always noticing what clothing brands other women wear and assuming they are better off financially if they have more expensive brands. that can be offset sometimes my other factors that give them away as overextending themselves on certain items (fancy purse, crappy car). so my wife would definitely say yes to this question.
Your wife would get me all wrong then. I am not saying I am filthy rich, but we do better than OK. I dress well and always look well put together. I drive a Honda Civic. A late model one, but a Civic nonetheless. Why? It gets great gas mileage and reliably gets me from Point A to Point B. I'd rather put the extra $20+K that I didn't spend on a luxury car and premium gasoline in my bank account.

Also, the wealthiest man I know drives a 2002 Honda Odyssey. For real.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Your wife would get me all wrong then. I am not saying I am filthy rich, but we do better than OK. I dress well and always look well put together. I drive a Honda Civic. A late model one, but a Civic nonetheless. Why? It gets great gas mileage and reliably gets me from Point A to Point B. I'd rather put the extra $20+K that I didn't spend on a luxury car and premium gasoline in my bank account.

Also, the wealthiest man I know drives a 2002 Honda Odyssey. For real.
men are different than women. i think its more obvious with a woman but with a man it you may need to pay more attention to a watch or maybe some high end piece among mostly normal stuff. i drive an '05 rav4 while she drives a '11 enclave. so she is the one that looks like a big timer in my family.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
men are different than women. i think its more obvious with a woman but with a man it you may need to pay more attention to a watch or maybe some high end piece among mostly normal stuff. i drive an '05 rav4 while she drives a '11 enclave. so she is the one that looks like a big timer in my family.
I think your logic is flawed. Some people just don't feel like spending money on cars (or clothes or purses). I live next one of the most affluent suburbs in California. Half of the cars are Civics, Accords, Camarys and Priuses. The cheapest house in the city is $1M.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Just look at Britney Spears or any other celeb. They have tons of money yet dress like trash.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
The really high class people I know, those coming from wealthy families going back several generations, usually dress pretty normally. Some do go through stages of dressing really well in young adulthood. All of these people have a few good outfits but most of the time, they look like everyone else. You could probably spot them if you know good jewelry/watches though. The high end stuff they buy is usually durable goods.

The nouveau riche and the wanna-be crowd will buy whatever is in style right now that says, "I have money." Their clothing is generally trendier and fashion first. They aren't happy unless the latest 'in' designer name is splashed across their bum.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think your logic is flawed. Some people just don't feel like spending money on cars (or clothes or purses). I live next one of the most affluent suburbs in California. Half of the cars are Civics, Accords, Camarys and Priuses. The cheapest house in the city is $1M.
im certainly not saying that my logic applies 100% to all affluent women. but it does apply to many. also, im not saying that if someone doesnt have x then they are poor, but if they do have x its easier to start making determinations about the person.

im not really sure what you are trying to say about the cars. i live in an affluent town, there are many high end cars and many low end cars. what town are you talking about? my guess is a large % of them go home to the less expensive houses in the community or belong to children/family of owners or are just people driving through town. not all, but a large %.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,355 times
Generally yes.It is rather noticeable if you spend time where the really rich (not frugal millionaires)have their homes and vacation places.Of course we all know some guy who has a blue collar business and is worth a couple million and he wears the same stuff he has worn since he was just starting out.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
A few years back I had the pleasure of working with an upperclass woman. She fell on hard times and was a coworker of mine in a white collar work environment. Notice I said upperclass. Being rich is not the same as being upper class.

I asked about what sets the upperclass apart fashoinwise. She told me that it doesn't matter what sort of clothes you wear, but... for a man it does matter what sort of watch, belt and shoes you have on. In other words a $1000 suit doesn't work with a $500 watch and $200 shoes when you walk into a high end restaurant. Levis, dress shirt and $1500 cowboy boots, with a $5000 watch--you're good to go.

For a woman, its the accessories more than the clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty