Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 05:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You could look like a homeless person and still be a millionaire.

Of course, you COULD, but the PROBABILITY of you being a millionaire and looking homeless is extremely small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Of course, you COULD, but the PROBABILITY of you being a millionaire and looking homeless is extremely small.
no its not.. i worked at neiman marcus when i was in college and the people that wore the 'expensive' clothing were usually the people that bought the cheapest things there. nearly every customer i helped that had a amex black card were wearing regular jeans and t-shirt.. or shorts and flip flops and a t-shirt. its usually lower income people that feel the need to dress a certain way to put out this image that they have money.
people with real money don't care about showing off like that from my experience.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
no its not.. i worked at neiman marcus when i was in college and the people that wore the 'expensive' clothing were usually the people that bought the cheapest things there. nearly every customer i helped that had a amex black card were wearing regular jeans and t-shirt.. or shorts and flip flops and a t-shirt. its usually lower income people that feel the need to dress a certain way to put out this image that they have money.
people with real money don't care about showing off like that from my experience.
This seems accurate.

Also, there seems to be a lot of bums who wear wool coats, loafers, slacks, button up's, etc. Or is that just a stereotype I'm getting from Hollywood?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
It varies. From what I've seen, higher income individuals dress very conservative wearing blazers, tailored pants, loafers and or suits. Some of them just dress normal and plain with polo shirts and jeans/khakis and non-descriptive shoes or sneakers. These folks do not necessarily dress flashy. Although some rich people may wear gaudy things like mink fur coats in the winter in certain areas. Even if said clothing items are name-brand, these clothes are usually not emblazoned with any gaudy logos. All in all, rich people don't dress like they work manual labor jobs. That is, unless they are young hipsters living off of their wealthy parents dressing ironically.

On the other hand, poor people in the ghetto often wear their wealth on their back. For example, people of all incomes wear Ralph Lauren. However, I have noticed that the flashier Polo clothes with the big logos and such are much more popular with the hood set. They will buy the name-brand clothing with the heavy logos and decals to match their expensive Nike sneakers which often cost several hundred dollars. These overpriced Nikes often make wearers the target of senseless robberies which sometimes result in death. These are disturbing recent local reports of robberies and murders over expensive sneakers from my area:

Man Stabbed To Death Over Nike Retro Foamposite Shoes in Maryland | TheShoeGame.com - Sneakers & Information

The Sentinel

Police: Teen targeted, killed over sneakers - WTOP.com

Rich people, who often come from money since birth, don't always need symbolic displays of wealth. Poor young people, often from minority backgrounds, supplant self-esteem from wearing expensive flashy clothes and shoes. It comes from growing up in an oppressive society and culture where expensive clothes equate to status for kids starving for self-esteem. The only rich people who do wear these same exact types of expensive gaudy sneakers and flashy clothes are rappers, actors and athletes who want to prove that they are "still hood" and haven't forgotten where they came from in this symbolic display. But most rich people don't need the false status provided by expensive gaudy sneakers and flashy clothes because they possess the real status that comes with being rich. This is the reason why many rich people may drive older cars and shop at Walmart although they have the money to afford Gucci. Rich people know what real wealth is. However, as I stated before it does vary as different people spend money on different things.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 05-09-2012 at 12:47 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I can tell a person's class much more easily then I can their salary. Higher class people dress in more classic clothes. Less flamboyant and more restrained.

Some one mentioned cut and fabric. I'd agree that those are key.

Displaying a designer's name, lots of bling, furs and other over the top accoutrements - lower class or new money. Generally both.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It varies. From what I've seen, higher income individuals dress very conservative wearing blazers, tailored pants, loafers and or suits. Some of them just dress normal and plain with polo shirts and jeans/khakis and non-descriptive shoes or sneakers. These folks do not necessarily dress flashy. Although some rich people may wear gaudy things like mink fur coats in the winter in certain areas. Even if said clothing items are name-brand, these clothes are usually not emblazoned with any gaudy logos. All in all, rich people don't dress like they work manual labor jobs. That is, unless they are young hipsters living off of their wealthy parents dressing ironically.

On the other hand, poor people in the ghetto often wear their wealth on their back. For example, people of all incomes wear Ralph Lauren. However, I have noticed that the flashier Polo clothes with the big logos and such are much more popular with the hood set. They will buy the name-brand clothing with the heavy logos and decals to match their expensive Nike sneakers which often cost several hundred dollars. These overpriced Nikes often make wearers the target of senseless robberies which sometimes result in death. These are disturbing recent local reports of robberies and murders over expensive sneakers from my area:

Man Stabbed To Death Over Nike Retro Foamposite Shoes in Maryland | TheShoeGame.com - Sneakers & Information

The Sentinel

Police: Teen targeted, killed over sneakers - WTOP.com

Rich people, who often come from money since birth, don't always need symbolic displays of wealth. Poor young people, often from minority backgrounds, supplant self-esteem from wearing expensive flashy clothes and shoes. It comes from growing up in an oppressive society and culture where expensive clothes equate to status for kids starving for self-esteem. The only rich people who do wear these same exact types of expensive gaudy sneakers and flashy clothes are rappers, actors and athletes who want to prove that they are "still hood" and haven't forgotten where they came from in this symbolic display. But most rich people don't need the false status provided by expensive gaudy sneakers and flashy clothes because they possess the real status that comes with being rich. This is the reason why many rich people may drive older cars and shop at Walmart although they have the money to afford Gucci. Rich people know what real wealth is. However, as I stated before it does vary as different people spend money on different things.
You summed it up perfectly..

Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can tell a person's class much more easily then I can their salary. Higher class people dress in more classic clothes. Less flamboyant and more restrained.

Some one mentioned cut and fabric. I'd agree that those are key.

Displaying a designer's name, lots of bling, furs and other over the top accoutrements - lower class or new money. Generally both.
Classic? You mean bell bottoms and big collars? Vintage?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Or just a regular person. Old jeans and t-shirt.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
NM does have excellent service though. Employees are courteous, they must pay them well. I just pass through there but I don't buy anything. It is a rip-off store.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Classic? You mean bell bottoms and big collars? Vintage?
No. That would be faddish. The opposite of classic.

Vintage is cool if you chose to dress that way and it's not a default outfit.

I'm not sure if those 70's abominations even qualify as "vintage."

Most vintage paces I see, seem to focus on mid century, 40s 50s 60s, Rockabilly or Mad Men - Jackie Kennedy type clothes.

Good example of vintage - modcloth.com,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty