Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times

Advertisements

Some of my stylish friends look fantastic but they don't spend much some of my other friends who don't have any fashion sense but think that if it's name brand and cost a lot that they are in style. In my opinion, a larger income doesn't necessarily mean you dress better or a certain way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Of course, you COULD, but the PROBABILITY of you being a millionaire and looking homeless is extremely small.
You'd be surprised, I think.

I knew a college prof who was independently very wealthy and a scientist in the same category. Both drove around in beat up cars and wore old clothing (that was a bit baggy sometimes).

I worked for Colgate decades ago and before jeans were fashionable Mrs. C would walk about in them, looking something of a farmer's wife.

There are people with money who would rather not have the money get in the way of relationships. They don't have to broadcast it nor do they have to impress anyone. They don't see clothing as a fashion/ego statement. I respect that.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,325,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

There are people with money who would rather not have the money get in the way of relationships. They don't have to broadcast it nor do they have to impress anyone. They don't see clothing as a fashion/ego statement. I respect that.
that's exactly what it is.

i met Chris Mullin when i worked at nordstrom after i left nm.. he'd go in about once a year and spend a ton of money on dress shoes and suits. he would always go in wearing basketball shorts and a white t shirt.. or levi's, nike sneakers and a plain white t.

non sports fans would look at him and think he's just a regular dude with a 9-5 going in to buy some 75$ piece of crap kenneth cole shoes

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM

382 posts, read 804,652 times
If you are good looking it doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive the clothes you wear are. You will look good regardless.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You'd be surprised, I think.

I knew a college prof who was independently very wealthy and a scientist in the same category. Both drove around in beat up cars and wore old clothing (that was a bit baggy sometimes).

I worked for Colgate decades ago and before jeans were fashionable Mrs. C would walk about in them, looking something of a farmer's wife.

Sure, they may be some. But from my experiance in the tech start-up world and the private equity/finance world, wealthy people wore expensive clothes.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Having a hot, fit bod is the ultimate in accessories.

If you are all nasty looking, it doesn't matter how much your clothes cost.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You could look like a homeless person and still be a millionaire.
Mom? Is that you?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,984,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Those people know there's something other than Rolex. Panerai, JLC, AP, etc...
I've heard this rhetoric before and always thought the person was trying to prove something. I don't know of anything that stacks up to the 18k gold Rolex Day-Date. I like gold watches. Could you point me to another fine and timeless gold watch? Even the two-tone Datejust is hard to match, though there are far less expensive alternatives, like Raymond Weil. Even in the cheap/border-line "fashion" category, a couple of Burberry pieces are the only I know of that are gold(plated) bracelet watches.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,715 times
Also you can think of it this way.

An older Volvo sedan or wagon with discreetly placed decals from a university along with a bike rack on the roof screams more money than a brand new Dodge Charger.

My point is it's not only what you wear but knowing what to buy and how to wear it including " wearing " vehicles.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Could there be an issue developing here of 'old money/new money'?
It might appear that the newly rich are more smitten with the status symbols, while those who have passed it down for several generations wear it with grace.
It could be that the new monied group are more competitive because they had to struggle for it and so must now broadcast that they are 'winners'.

The old guys are more relaxed and secure with it. Or maybe they are more appreciative that there are other values than bucks and appreciate others without much caring if they are also rich or not.

The divide may be that the old money can afford the luxury of improving their minds, studying the liberal arts, choosing vocations that they can feel devoted to, while the new money has made it primarily by scratching their way up in 'successful' fields.

This is just speculation, but there does seem to be a difference if you view these people in 'bulk'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty