Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times

Advertisements

The day I retired, I told my SIL she could have my work skirts and fancy tops. I live in jeans and comfy sweaters and shirts -- the few dresses I own seldom come out (like only for things as weddings, etc.). My husband has always worn jeans and will wear a teeshirt to death when working int he garage.

Can we afford the fancy stuff? Yes, easily, but we are not "into" country club attitudes -- or want to wear the attire for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
The day I retired, I told my SIL she could have my work skirts and fancy tops. I live in jeans and comfy sweaters and shirts -- the few dresses I own seldom come out (like only for things as weddings, etc.). My husband has always worn jeans and will wear a teeshirt to death when working int he garage.

Can we afford the fancy stuff? Yes, easily, but we are not "into" country club attitudes -- or want to wear the attire for it.
Wearing a dress is country club?!?!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wearing a dress is country club?!?!
I could almost see that. I spend a lot of time in my city's established upper-middle/upper class area and it does seem like a certain set of women wear dresses more frequently "just because". For most others, dress wearing seems to be more limited to certain occasions and is more of a big deal.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I could almost see that. I spend a lot of time in my city's established upper-middle/upper class area and it does seem like a certain set of women wear dresses more frequently "just because". For most others, dress wearing seems to be more limited to certain occasions and is more of a big deal.
I am a dress wearer. I always have been (even at age 6, I wasn't completely prissy, I played outside, played video games, but I just didn't like mud or bugs. ). They are easier, look "polished" and are low effort.

I am solidly middle class, but most of the time you'll find me in a dress or a skirt.

I have only been to a country club a handful of times.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am a dress wearer. I always have been (even at age 6, I wasn't completely prissy, I played outside, played video games, but I just didn't like mud or bugs. ). They are easier, look "polished" and are low effort.

I am solidly middle class, but most of the time you'll find me in a dress or a skirt.

I have only been to a country club a handful of times.
I don't think it's black and white or that wearing dresses frequently is exclusive to the country club set, but I think I could see what that other user was saying.

But what is "solidly middle class" and what were you doing at a country club? Just curious.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post

I get what you are saying. My DH and I work on the land and do projects all day. We can afford any kind of clothes we want. We want jeans and tees

When I worked at an office I loved dressing up and I did like dresses. Now I don't have a need for dressing up and since I am not out to impress anyone else I like it that way.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You never see Warren Buffett flash his clothes.

I liked the way Sam Walton was. He didn't feel the need to impress anyone. Good for him for not lining up like the sheeple.

I also don't see Mark Zuckerberg worrying about what he wears, lol. He's laughing himself all the way to the bank.

Last edited by ylisa7; 05-17-2012 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't think it's black and white or that wearing dresses frequently is exclusive to the country club set, but I think I could see what that other user was saying.

But what is "solidly middle class" and what were you doing at a country club? Just curious.
My middle class sister is in the Junior League. They had an even there. I've been to a few other ones as well.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You never see Warren Buffett flash his clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I liked the way Sam Walton was. He didn't feel the need to impress anyone. Good for him for not lining up like the sheeple.

I also don't see Mark Zuckerberg worrying about what he wears, lol. He's laughing himself all the way to the bank.
Yeah, but Buffett definitely wore bespoke suits. Not flashy, but not off the rack. ANd looking at photos of Walton, his suits looked tailored to him as well. They still knew how to present themselves when necessary.

And I wouldn't be shocked if Zuckerberg had a custom tailored suit or two tucked away in his closet for those just in case situations. and to be honest, his trademark look is almost expected of him. It's part of the FB package/marketing, if you will.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yeah, but Buffett definitely wore bespoke suits. Not flashy, but not off the rack. ANd looking at photos of Walton, his suits looked tailored to him as well. They still knew how to present themselves when necessary.

And I wouldn't be shocked if Zuckerberg had a custom tailored suit or two tucked away in his closet for those just in case situations. and to be honest, his trademark look is almost expected of him. It's part of the FB package/marketing, if you will.

True but they will also wear normal clothes just from more expensive stores because they can

That was always the main difference that I saw in people with money and middle class. They all wore jeans, tees, blouses, shirts...they just shopped ar different stores and paid different prices.

Tell me the rich don't wear underwear, socks, jeans, pajamas, and tee shirts. Of course they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty