Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Lavish is a very subjective word.

For some people, a million dollar house is lavish.
For others, it's just the reality for getting something semi-nice.

Frankly, I think building weath is more important than displaying it.
But you have to spend some money here and there...on things you enjoy.
You bust your ass off every day. Treating yourself here and there on a hobby or something that makes your life easier or more fun is just fine.

Treating yourself to everything under the sun or buying stuff to impress other people. Ugh, I have never bought into that philosophy. But most wealthy people are wealthy because they know how to exercise discipline. Everyone else is just a slave to consumerism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,510,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lavish is a very subjective word.

For some people, a million dollar house is lavish.
For others, it's just the reality for getting something semi-nice.

Frankly, I think building weath is more important than displaying it.
But you have to spend some money here and there...on things you enjoy.
You bust your ass off every day. Treating yourself here and there on a hobby or something that makes your life easier or more fun is just fine.

Treating yourself to everything under the sun or buying stuff to impress other people. Ugh, I have never bought into that philosophy. But most wealthy people are wealthy because they know how to exercise discipline. Everyone else is just a slave to consumerism.
I don't see a reason to impress strangers out there. They aren't paying you for that.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,775 times
trust fund hipsters may tell you differently

Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I asked about what sets the upperclass apart fashoinwise. She told me that it doesn't matter what sort of clothes you wear, but... for a man it does matter what sort of watch, belt and shoes you have on. In other words a $1000 suit doesn't work with a $500 watch and $200 shoes when you walk into a high end restaurant. Levis, dress shirt and $1500 cowboy boots, with a $5000 watch--you're good to go.
Yes and no. Denim of any sort would NOT fly in more traditional venues of the upper class in the Northeast or their favorite old-world hang-outs in Europe.

For the record, my observations are chiefly of young men.
From what I've observed money generally means options. For some that I know, their clothing needs are satisfied on an everyday basis from Wal-Mart and their suiting needs from Madison avenue. However, others seem to have their outfits furnished by J. Press - for whom Brooks Brothers is down-market/slumming it. Then there are those in the middle who pair ordinary, $50 Levis with $350 Ferragamo loafers.

As for the women, I can rarely assess their pieces, as casual clothing, while aiming for a flattering fashionable cut, is marketed as a one season throw-away piece. With men's clothing, I have obvious indicators for quality, such as cut and fabric and can easily assess it just be feeling it/looking at it (eg the bright sheen of polyester vs the more staid solid color of wool in a suit).

But again, this goes for the young.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I used to work with a very well-dressed and classy (I guess one could call her upper class) woman.

She got divorced and fell on hard times. It was not a high-paying job.

Years later and she still dressed fabulously. She told me that she found a lot of things in thrift stores. She did highly accessorize as well.

I just remember being so impressed that she dressed as well as she did (she always looked more professional than I did and I made 3 x her salary) by being able to pick things out wisely at a thrift store.

Another friend of mine at work today (we make the same money) always looks terrific. Of course, she's really tall and really thin and that helps. Her husband makes twice our salaries. Most people would never guess how carefully she shops. She never shops 'in season' always buys on sale and can always find things at TJ Maxx and Filene's Basement. If she wanted, she could be shopping at much nicer stores. She just does not choose to spend a lot of money on clothes. But I'll bet most people don't know it.
Some women are wonderfully thin and have a perfect figure and can just pick clothing off the rack and bring it home without even trying it on.

Most women, though, wanting to look good, have to shop incessantly in order to put a nice wardrobe together. For some it is a second part time job. For others, it just ain't worth it.

I guess that's why God invented stylists?

Last edited by goldengrain; 05-07-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Some women are wonderfully thin and have a perfect figure and can just pick clothing off the rack and bring it home without even trying it on.

Most women, though, wanting to look good, have to shop incessantly in order to put a nice wardrobe together. For some it is a second part time job. For others, it just ain't worth it.

I guess that's why God invented stylists?
Not true at all. Some women have learned to dress their bodies, and pick the right things off the rack (or know when to hit the tailor).

Many women don't, so that's why stylists exist.

Most women's clothing isn't cut for a typical woman's body shape (size is irrelevant in this case).

Most women have more pear shaped bodies, aka hips are larger than their waists and shoulders are narrower than their hips. The waist is comparatively nipped in.

Most clothing is cut for women who are straight up and down with little to no hips, and not much waist definition. If you have a ruler shape or the inverted triangle shape, clothing shopping is really easy for you if you are average height. Most clothing is cut for you.

If you have a larger bust lines or hips, or a small waist, it is too bad for you.

I have exactly 2 friends that have the perfect bodies for picking clothing off the rack. Both of them manage to always find the clothing that is not cut for their body type and completely unflattering. Because of this, I invite myself to all of their shopping trips and pick out clothes for them. A few weeks later, when they wear the new stuff, the inevitably get loads of compliments on how great they look. (I am really good at being a personal shopper)

Body type and being able to dress well have absolutely no relationship. Knowledge is power in this case. Women in the know ask for help from experiences stylists or have innate knowledge on what to wear (or lots of practice).

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM

578 posts, read 1,093,308 times
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,146,129 times
I think it's important to look good, but never at the expense of your wallet (at least to the point to where it's going to make a significant dent in your finances). Or maybe I'm just a natural cheapskate!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I find that in affluent neighbourhoods like Palo Alto you can usually tell right away by looking at people that they're wealthy - even though a lot of them are fairly dressed down, it's the little details that scream 'expensive' and create that look. The clothing looks expensive and well-made even if it's casual with no logos, the women have expensive though understated jewelry, huge engagement rings, polished skin, beautifully cut and colored hair, good figures, mani-pedis, designer bags and sunglasses, etc. Even if she's wearing plain jeans and a t-shirt you can usually tell those women have money, it's all in the total look.

On the other hand I pride myself on putting together outfits that have that 'expensive' look without spending even a fraction of the money. A majority of my clothes come from cheap stores like H&M or XX21, but I'm very discerning in picking out the pieces that flatter me, don't look cheap or teeny-bopper and putting together interesting looks. People are often shocked to find out how little some of my clothes cost when they compliment me on an item and ask where it's from, most assume I spend way more on my clothing than I actually do.
Couldn't agree more with the first part.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,510,557 times
You could look like a homeless person and still be a millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty