Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
But keep in mind that NOBODY, regardless of income, needs a $1200 purse. What you need is something that will hold the stuff you need to carry with you. In all honesty, a $10 handbag from Walmart would do the job, it's just not as pretty or pretentious as a LV or Spade bag.
And also doesn't last nearly as long.

As my mother always says, expensive things are generally expensive for a REASON - that reason being quality of craftsmanship, longevity, durability, and of course appearance. I bought a Coach handbag at an outlet center (in Atlantic City) for $70, but it was originally priced at over $400... I've now been carrying that bag DAILY for about 4-5 years, and it's just now getting to the point where it needs to be retired. Would a $10 Walmart bag have lasted that long with daily use & abuse? Doubtful.

So even if the discounted price is on the higher end, I'd rather spend that extra money for a genuine designer brand. If I carry a $10 Walmart bag every day, it will have to be replaced a couple of times a year - so at $10/bag, we're looking at $80 over a 4-year period. Hmmm. Seems like my $70 investment on that Coach bag was actually the better deal!

Think of it that way, instead of being shortsighted or snooty. Yes, I said snooty - because it's really the "oh, I don't neeeeeed anything fancy" people who are snootier than those of us carrying designer bags. Particularly when you judge us for them, without even knowing if we paid full price, or whether we ONLY have designer stuff. I also have my share of cheap bags, but reserve that hardcore daily usage for the quality ones that will last.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wouldn't even GET instant gratification from a purse with some designer's initials on it. What makes it a better purse? Because it has some "name" attached to it? What a scam!

If I knew someone paid $1200 for a purse I would think, "That person doesn't have a lick of common sense."
And I'd say "that person knows quality when they see it." I'm not necessarily talking about a purse THAT expensive, but a few hundred dollars goes a long way when it comes to handbags & shoes. Not everyone who carries a Coach/LV/whatever gives a crap about the "status" - given where I live, that would be pretty darned silly (as I'm surrounded by multimillionaires). But as I said above, there is a reason why they cost a lot. What, did you really think they're just charging for the name? That does add something to the price, but the rest of that money is for QUALITY work. Why am I the only one who seems to get that?

Furthermore, just because you don't personally care about nice purses or shoes, that is no reason to go around judging those who do. Maybe they skimp in other areas to make up for it, or maybe they bought it on eBay for $20, got it as a gift, etc? Thanks for proving my other point above, though, about the "who needs designer labels" folks being the snooty ones. I don't care if you carry a Walmart bag, so why do care about what I carry or wear? Of course nobody should spend money they don't have, but an occasional discounted splurge is usually harmless (and a better long-term investment).

Disclaimer: In reality, that Coach bag is one of the only designer items I personally own - mostly just speaking as devil's advocate here.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
What should matter is the qualify of the product, how long it could last and the needs.
And that, my friends, is exactly WHY they charge more for the designer labels. If you don't believe me, go compare a vinyl purse from Walmart to a 100% leather Coach bag... it's like the difference between a Rolex and a Timex, which anyone with half a brain & eyes can see.

Coach bags, for example, don't really even advertise what they are! My purse is solid green leather, and the word COACH is barely visible. So not everyone carries them to show off, and only people who know the brand even realize what it is. But to go along with everything I'm saying here, even those who don't recognize its brand often compliment the bag - my old boss was obsessed with it, and tried to convince me to gift it to her when I resigned. Nope, not happening!

This is the exact bag to which I'm referring... you can barely even see the "Coach" stamp, unless you squint really hard:

Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Poor people stay poor because of their lifestyle. Simple. You see poor people drive new cars all the time, sign and drive is a sure way of staying poor.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 7,947 times
People spend too much time trying to look wealthy than to actually be wealthy. Young people blow their money on status symbols they buy Beats By Dre when there are many other cheaper alternatives that offer much better quality. All the money spent on Beats, Louis Vouittons or whatever prestigious brand could have been used on a investment or put into a 401k. I actually hated shopped for clothes for when I was younger I was perfectly happy with whatever I had I could careless about having Hollister or some other brand name plastered all over my shirt I'd prefer to more unique in style and less of a tool. Seriously I don't see any special about designer brands, sure they maybe comfy and put together but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. Most of them have no real "design", they basically just plaster their logo all over it which makes the person wearing it giving out free advertisement for them.

I agree with the other guy who stated it's society's obsession with celebrities. Celebrities tend to flaunt more money than they actually have especially rappers who's songs are all basically about money, sex, and drugs. Then when that rappers career falls faster than a meteorite they're basically back to making the average income or even less and being in debt as despite their "net worth" which won't pay their bills and may even make things worse (I.E gas guzzling cars with insurance, property tax on 8 digit houses).

My only friend on the other hand comes from a very wealthy family but you wouldn't know it until you came to their penthouse. They own a building in Cobble Hill with a nice view of the East river. They dress pretty average and drive a very generic cheap car. But they casually drink wine and champagne at dinner (although since me and my friend are underage we get some sweet tasting 5-10% alcohol drinks).
They have some pretty amazing vacations like last summer spending 2 weeks in Vegas than spending the rest of the summer camping on the virgin islands. They think sports cars are ridiculous as you could never even use half the potential speed they have and most are 2 seaters only.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM

382 posts, read 804,071 times
My housekeeper comes once every two weeks, my landscaper comes when the grass gets long, I call our handyman when something breaks, I'm about to put my boat in the water for the summer, etc. My wife and I don't wear expensive clothes. Catch my drift people???
If you want to look wealthy and you're not, you better "stay in your lane" though. People with a disposable income life a certain lifestyle that a wanna-be can't keep up with.
Moral of the story...If you're trying to impress people, don't try to impress people with money. You will get schooled unintentionally.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
My housekeeper comes once every two weeks, my landscaper comes when the grass gets long, I call our handyman when something breaks, I'm about to put my boat in the water for the summer, etc. My wife and I don't wear expensive clothes. Catch my drift people???
If you want to look wealthy and you're not, you better "stay in your lane" though. People with a disposable income life a certain lifestyle that a wanna-be can't keep up with.
Moral of the story...If you're trying to impress people, don't try to impress people with money. You will get schooled unintentionally.
The gardening crew just cut my grass. The gutter cleaners we have on contract just did the gutters yesterday. The cleaning lady is due again on Friday... I call a plumber, electrician, etc when something breaks, just like you do.

And I do buy the occasional designer piece if I like it. I'm not all about labels in clothes, but I like quality pieces that last.

What was your point? Maybe those people who clean your house and do your lawn are going to school part time to better themselves and need nice clothes for interviews.

You just never know.

And it's really nobody's business but the person doing the buying.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Growing up my family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc) were all poor but had one "nice" item. Why? So that (according to them) no matter how bad things got they could say that they at least owned something "nice".

Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM

382 posts, read 804,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The gardening crew just cut my grass. The gutter cleaners we have on contract just did the gutters yesterday. The cleaning lady is due again on Friday... I call a plumber, electrician, etc when something breaks, just like you do.

And I do buy the occasional designer piece if I like it. I'm not all about labels in clothes, but I like quality pieces that last.

What was your point? Maybe those people who clean your house and do your lawn are going to school part time to better themselves and need nice clothes for interviews.

You just never know.

And it's really nobody's business but the person doing the buying.
You completely missed the point of my post.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
You completely missed the point of my post.
No. I did not.

You are operating under the assumption that people who are not wealthy are trying to fool people into thinking they are wealthy if they buy a designer handbag or some such.

I merely suggested that people with limited means may have a variety of reasons for owning a designer item or two, and it wasn't anyone's place to judge them.

For all anyone knows, the expensive shoes/purse/suit was/were given to them as gifts. Or purchased at an outlet store. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty