Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM

42 posts, read 61,890 times

Advertisements

Here's another thing I must bring up. If only poor people knew that many luxury brands would prefer to keep their goods inaccessible to those without the money to buy them, I don't think they would consider buying their products. Did you know that Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Hermes, to name just a few, burn their unsold merchandise instead of donating it, giving it to employees, or selling it at a discount at a later date? If you don't believe me for whatever reason, Google it, Bing it, Yahoo Search it, whatever. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 AM

72 posts, read 113,493 times
Both women and men do that, but maybe since I'm a woman I see more females do this. In my mind it's because most people you walk past, only see you--and first glance makes the first (and usually lasting) impression. They want women to envy their shoes, bag, etc. Actually most of the time women dress for other women...they want women to be jealous of them, and they could care less if a cute guy has no idea what designer they're wearing. They want to give the illusion that they have all these amazing things and that they are equivalent to all the celebrities out there. It's the society we live in that forces these gender roles onto us, and women feel the need to dress in high fashion even if they only have a department store (or less) budget.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 PM

382 posts, read 804,071 times
Most people have no style and are ugly. Wearing designer clothes doesn't "polish a turd". Keep it simple and you'll look more attractive.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Wearing designer clothes doesn't "polish a turd". .
^^ This made me LOL

The other expression is, "you can't put lipstick on a pig because at the end of the day it's still a pig"

I have a couple of theories on this subject one is class distinction. Sometimes (especially low income people) want so badly to not be that they're willing to "fake it" till they "make it". Our culture is so caught up in class warfare that some people feel they have no other recourse.

The other is from our unhealthy obsession with celebrity. If you see all the "rich" celebrities wearing this stuff and you think you have to have it too. The difference is celebs are getting this crap for free.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,463 times
Like I said if you have a JoB know how to save, Then buy what ever you want, Don't Hate. Theres nothing wrong about being materialistic as long as you know how to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 9,463 times
If you look good in it wear it! But if you Look stupid just don't. LOL!!!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
the poor like to buy expensive items they cant afford to improve their image, it gives a false sense of self esteem

kind of like the poor man that likes to drive a Cadillac it's like a cheap way to live the life of luxury and feel like your somebody

like in the movie 48 Hours with EDDIE MURPHY he wore a nice suit to try and look good for the ladies, but the Cop said your still a scum bag in a fancy suit , it makes them feel successful temporarily having nice expensive items they cant afford

Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was interesting.

It reminds me of the old saying, "Money isn't everything--but the lack of it is."
The gentlemen in that article wrote a fascinating book- "Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much".

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
Why do low income people buy expensive clothing/accesories? Well they say opposites attract, it has been proven by science. I guess it is true.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Why do low income people buy expensive clothing/accesories? Well they say opposites attract, it has been proven by science. I guess it is true.
Why do rich men like to marry poor women from third world countries?

from a different culture , different social class, no education

doesnt make sense why a rich successful man would have to travel half way around the globe to find a wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty