Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I have a rather large set of makeup brushes ranging in brands from Merle Norman, Physicians Formula, E.L.F., and Wet n' Wild. They were getting rather cake-y so I decided to wash them today using a makeup brush cleaner that I have used in the past. Everything was going great until I finished washing them and noticed a horrible smell coming from the brushes (gross!), almost like a wet dog smell mixed with gasoline or car fumes The cheaper brushes smell the worst, whereas my Merle Norman only slightly smells like wet dog.

My question... why do my brushes smell and how can I get rid of the smell? I've tried cleaners made specifically for makeup brushes and while they've cleaned the makeup away, the smell still remains. I would hate to have to throw away my brushes.
Soap and water was all you really needed. I would get new ones. After awhile, the bacteria does not wash out. Replace those brushes every 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,200 times
My makeup brushes smell when I'm cleaning them, but stop when they dry (they are synthetic, I don't buy any makeup brushes with animal hairs I'm a vegetarian). I frequently change them out though, because I keep losing them taking my makeup bag everywhere with me.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've had most of my brushes for over 4 years, and they're in almost as good shape as they were when I bought them. The only natural hair brush I have is my kabuki, which is so prickly I only use it for a quick swipe of bronzer across my cheeks. I'll be replacing that with a decent synthetic kabuki this year.

I used to use natural bristle brushes but they smelled bad, and I couldn't ever get them clean enough, and when they tried (even upside down) they dried clumpy and I'd have to brush the brushes out. With the synthetics, they clean quick and easy, they dry in less than half the time of natural hair, and they dry in the same shape they were before you got them dirty.

I wash them every couple of months, except my eyeshadow brush, which I wash every month.

YIKES

Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
You don't need a special cleanser. I use Purpose face wash, but shampoo works, too. Just remember, natural hair brushes are, well, natural hair. Use some conditioner on your natural brushes now and them to keep the hydrated. This goes for all natural brushes, from paintbrushes to makeup brushes. Make sure you wash them regularly, especially if you are at all acne-prone. I wash makeup brushes I use wet twice a week, and brushes I use dry every two weeks. After washing, gently shape the bristles with your fingers and let them dry flat, with the brush end lowest if possible rather than with the head up because this allows moisture to seep down under the ferrule which can result in loosening of the bristles and/or rust in the ferrule.

Natural hair is great for some purposes, like fluffy powder brushes, however it is not always the best choice. Full coverage brushes for powder mineral makeup are synthetic, as are the best concealer and eyeliner brushes. Synthetics don't need conditioner, just regular cleansing.

If, after cleansing and thoroughly drying, they still smell weird, chuck them and get new ones, but you certainly don't need to replace them on a schedule - a good brush can last decades if it is properly cared for. I like MAC brushes and the Sephora pro line is great. I can't say enough about how much I love my Sephora #56 foundation brush.

As a professionally trained artist, I can confirm that Kolinsky sable are the best natural hair brushes, but a good Kolinsky from an art store is not going to be cheaper than a brush designed for makeup unless the art store is having a raging good sale.

Last edited by tilli; 07-03-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,385 times
Sigma makes wonderful brushes!! I was my brushes once a week and I use down dish soap and they never smell.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Brushes made from real hair, smell like real wet hair, after they've gotten wet. That smell can linger awhile. Brushes made from real hair, also are porous, and will retain and grow bacteria at a faster rate than synthetic bristles, which are non-porous.I'd ditch the natural hair and get all synthetic. It's more hygienic, and good quality synthetic bristle brushes are softer on the skin, and remain softer on the skin even after a year of use.
So the smell I have from my brushes (almost like a gasoline mixed with wet dog) isn't normal or health? I will definitely check out synthetic brushes, since I have very, very sensitive skin. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I like MAC brushes and the Sephora pro line is great. I can't say enough about how much I love my Sephora #56 foundation brush.
Would you recommend I buy a kit or should I just pick up a few brushes that I know will work for me? Are kits usually cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Sigma makes wonderful brushes!! I was my brushes once a week and I use down dish soap and they never smell.
Are sigma brushes real or are they synthetic? Did you get a kit or just single brushes? Also where did you get your sigma brushes?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,385 times
www.sigmabeauty.com

I think the brushes are synthetic and I purchased a kabuki brush (which hasnt shed yet).The brushes are priced well not too expensive...I think the brushes are comparable to MAC you might also like eco tools by Alicia Silverstone.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM

4 posts, read 19,508 times
The brushes mention here is not any brand, it is normal. In normal brushes are not use real hair. So, After sometimes it comes smell. So you should use the brand brush and after sometime it also change because after a fixed time, brushes gives the smell.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
I clean all my natural brushes in 90% alcohol.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy
Would you recommend I buy a kit or should I just pick up a few brushes that I know will work for me? Are kits usually cheaper?
Kits are usually cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I don't need every brush under the sun and I definitely notice the difference in quality with less expensive brushes. If you aren't sure which brushes you really need, maybe you could invest in a good foundation brush at least (assuming that you use liquid foundation) and get an inexpensive kit for the rest. Then over time replace the ones in the kit that you really use frequently with higher quality brushes. If you already know which ones you need, I would just get high quality versions of them right off the bat, if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem
I clean all my natural brushes in 90% alcohol.
Over time that will dissolve the glue that holds the bristles into the ferrule. It is also extremely drying which will eventually ruin the bristles of natural hair brushes. Would you wash the hair on your head in 90% alcohol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty