Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times

Advertisements

Another update:

I went to the mall and found some really nice brushes for 20+ dollars each. I just couldn't pay that much, even if they will last me forever.

So instead I picked up two E.L.F. brand brushes... one's a flat-top and the other is a kabuki (which is really all that I need). I noticed that the flat-top had the same chemically/gasoline-y smell that the Wet n' Wild brush had when I first bought it. What the heck is with the smell?!? What do ya'll think... should I just wash them now with dawn dish soap and hope that the smell is from the factory?

Quote:
For foundation, I use a sponge applied pancake (comes with a fresh sponge), or a liquid and use my fingers. I've never been into this mineral stuff...maybe I'm missing out, maybe I'm not. My skin has such a fine texture that powder tends to sit on top.
What kind of foundation do you use? Would you say you have oily, dry, or combo skin? I really, really liked using a sponge to apply my liquid foundation (I never used brushes before this)... but my dermatologist told me no because I wasn't patting it into my skin. Only in the winter do I use a liquid foundation- more like a tinted moisturizer. I have to use a matte setting spray on top because of how oily my skin is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 AM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
i just bought a really nice brush from Origins for my bronzer it was $23 at Macy's Its called a powder foundation brush feels so nice on my face only thing it does not come with a pouuch to carry it in so I am going to just leave it at home

I fogot i bought some ELF brushes few weeks ago and never opened them. I also like some of there cosmetics.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Actually the Target's Sonia Kashak brand have nice brushes for the price!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually the Target's Sonia Kashak brand have nice brushes for the price!
My Sonia Kashuk blush brush has been taken care of perfectly and after a year is now so sheddy, I have to pick at the loose hairs on my face.

My old SK was YEARS old and would still be with me if it hadn't ended up on the floor some how and some kitties hadn't chewed and eaten it.

So I'm not happy with the new one, needless to say.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My Sonia Kashuk blush brush has been taken care of perfectly and after a year is now so sheddy, I have to pick at the loose hairs on my face.

My old SK was YEARS old and would still be with me if it hadn't ended up on the floor some how and some kitties hadn't chewed and eaten it.

So I'm not happy with the new one, needless to say.
All of mine are older 3-4 years....hmm I HATE when the quality decreases on something you know as "good" and then they cheap out on manufacturing. GRRRR.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Another update:

I went to the mall and found some really nice brushes for 20+ dollars each. I just couldn't pay that much, even if they will last me forever.

So instead I picked up two E.L.F. brand brushes... one's a flat-top and the other is a kabuki (which is really all that I need). I noticed that the flat-top had the same chemically/gasoline-y smell that the Wet n' Wild brush had when I first bought it. What the heck is with the smell?!? What do ya'll think... should I just wash them now with dawn dish soap and hope that the smell is from the factory?

What kind of foundation do you use? Would you say you have oily, dry, or combo skin? I really, really liked using a sponge to apply my liquid foundation (I never used brushes before this)... but my dermatologist told me no because I wasn't patting it into my skin. Only in the winter do I use a liquid foundation- more like a tinted moisturizer. I have to use a matte setting spray on top because of how oily my skin is.
Its actually called " off gassing". It happens with plastics and adhesives. Some are worse than others. I think the elf ones have more smell than the everyday minerals one. (at least at the time of purchase)
I would just wash it a couple times in the dawn with bleach. It fades in time. I would also get that everyday minerals one to compare. Its nice to have a rotation brush if for whatever reason the one you washed the day before is still damp. Since you only use the flat-tops may as well try a couple different ones to make keeping it clean easier.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
I'm a fanatic about keeping my makeup brushes clean, especially my foundation and concealer brushes. These I wash with warm water and baby shampoo immediately after every use. It prevents the makeup caking up on the bristles, and keeps bacteria down too (I break out very easily, dirty foundation brushes are a no-no for my complexion). My brushes for nonliquid makeup-eyeshadow, blush, etc-I spot clean with MAC brush cleaner periodically. I'll give them a water/shampoo wash maybe once a month (I used to a lot more but I've gotten lazy). I've never had any problems with smells on my brushes, and some are fairly old. This goes for both my high-end and cheap DS brushes.

Could be the makeup itself though. My Givenchy foundation washes right off the bristles, but my cheap Almay foundation seems to really stick.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
like your toothbrush you clean it after you use it I HOPE same with FACE brushes and My HAIR brushes I clean my hair brush every 3 days when I wash my hair. I'm not going to wash my face or hair and then apply a filthy brush on my face or in my hair.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
makeup brushes just like shaving brushes are made using animal hair. You can clean them with animal shampoo, vinegar, or Borax.
Shaving Q&A 10: Cleaning A Badger Brush - YouTube

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
makeup brushes just like shaving brushes are made using animal hair. You can clean them with animal shampoo, vinegar, or Borax.
Shaving Q&A 10: Cleaning A Badger Brush - YouTube

They make them out of synthetic and various types of hair.

That is for shaving, so the need for performance of product application is not as high as it would be for makeup apps.

I would not use borax just because it is not getting rinsed off right away like it would be with shaving. It could lead to irritation of the skin or eyes. Vinegar will dry them out so condition regularly (natural bristles anyway). Animal shampoo...ehhh...there are so many different types so that can be iffy. You definitely do not want to use medicated ones! LOL
Not that I thought you would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty