Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

I noticed in the 80s and 90s a lot of women favoured wearing very strong, often a rich ruby red lipstick. Nowadays, it seems, women favour a more subtle, shade. Some don't wear lipstick and prefer just lip gloss or a moisturizing chapstick. Has anyone else noticed this trend? The trend in the 80s in particular seemed to be for very 'loud' and artificial styles, big hair with a lot of hairspray, very prominent lipstick, rouge, clownish eyeshadow in different shades. Weirdly I'm picturing Boy George, actually, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I noticed in the 80s and 90s a lot of women favoured wearing very strong, often a rich ruby red lipstick. Nowadays, it seems, women favour a more subtle, shade. Some don't wear lipstick and prefer just lip gloss or a moisturizing chapstick. Has anyone else noticed this trend? The trend in the 80s in particular seemed to be for very 'loud' and artificial styles, big hair with a lot of hairspray, very prominent lipstick, rouge, clownish eyeshadow in different shades. Weirdly I'm picturing Boy George, actually, haha.
Sure. Often, trends in everything are actually reactions to the last trend. Think about it -- in the 40's we had little makeup and in the 50's we had Revlon's Fire and Ice and Cherries in the Snow, and makeup was the thing -- which led to white outs in eyeshadow and lipstick in the 60's to no makeup and natural makeup in the 70's.. (when Bare Minerals came out) then we marched onto the punk/new wave scene in the 80's.....

Already I've seen darker lips and a return to blush instead of bronzers on cheeks. The best thing to do is to stay updated -- don't get in a rut. It's not a good thing to say I've worn my hair this way since 1980. I just had a guy tell me the other day he was stunned to hear I was 53.... he thought early 40's. It's because I keep up on makeup and hair styles.

I'm not saying to buy teen mags and copy the look -- just keep up with the looks of today and modify what you do. There's trends for every age...

Anyone else remember the monochromatic eye?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
It was. "White lipstick" was very popular back in the mid-to-later 60's (I loved it then, and now I think it was just atrocious). The 70's brought us super-shiny lip glosses. 80's brought back the bold lips, and today women are a lot more neutral and toned down with lip shades.

Myself, I still wear vivid red lipsticks and hot pinks, and most people comment on how I "can get away with it".

Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I didn't understand the trend last decade to have lip color pretty much the same shade as your skin. Extremely neutral. It looked weird. Can someone explain this? I saw it on TV and in magazines a lot.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,344 times
I don't understand the appeal of making your lips look like they've disappeared, so not me

Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,997 times
Nudes, Pinks, Purple/Plums, Reds are all in at the moment. I'm just hoping the Oranges don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty