Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM

45 posts, read 103,196 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking suggestions for a makeover. I want to wear clothing that flatters and is casual & comfortable. Right now my style is t-shirts and ill-fitting jeans, so I want to step it up a little. Here is some info about me:

I am short, about 5'2'' and I am not overweight but not stick thin. I'd say small boned but with some meat on those bones. My legs are short and I think my torso is closer to average length, however my waist does not curve much in that hour glass sort of way. One problem I have is that a 2 year old foot and ankle injury prevents me from being able to wear too high of a heel, so giving the illusion of a longer leg is not that simple for me.

General fashion advice welcome, plus here are specific questions I have:

What cut of pant would be best for me? Straight leg / skinny / boot cut / wide leg? What types of outfits might help give me a longer, leaner appearance? Is there any way to give my waist more of an hour glass curve? Can I wear the boots over tight pants look or will that just make me look squat? If I wear a dress, which length is right for me - where on my leg should the hem fall? Any big DON'TS for me? Like bulky fabrics or capris I've heard are not right for petites..

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM

141 posts, read 285,078 times
I have a friend who's really short but she knows how to wear clothes. The principle is simple: sections. You should have as many sections as possible from neck to toe. If you are wearing a top and pants that day, try having the top a bit longer under a shorter vest or cropped top, then have the pants reach your ankle, and match with socks or hose of a contrasting color, and then wear heels. That will lengthen your whole body. If you wear a skirt, try knee high or mid-rise socks then high heels. Wear your hair with a high bun, a bumped up bang or something.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
What is your body shape? Are you a pear? Are you fairly straight? Are you busty? What's the widest part of your body?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Default answering jade

I think I have no shape. Maybe apple but I am not overweight at all. Small bust, small spare tire around lower torso, slight saddle bags around top of outer thighs. You'd never guess I have all these "body flaws" unless you saw me naked. They're not extreme, but I'm just trying to give you the picture that I certainly do not have a super easy shape / figure to dress. My general appearance is just a petite, fairly curve-less, yet not willowy physique. My legs are decent but not great enough that I have any business showing them off or drawing attention to them. My arms and shoulders are fantastic. My mid section is a problem as you can read in my O.P. Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Generally speaking, for shorter women, keep your skirts and dresses around the knee. A little above or a little below.

In order to look more "hourglass" you want to cheat with belts. You can place it a little above your natural waist and use it to accentuate things. This can look really cute under your bust, depending on your torso length.

Layers are your friend. Try cardigans and blazers that are a little below your waist. Since it sounds like your legs are "short" there are a few tricks:
1. wear straight legged pants with slight heels. You want your pants to almost hit the ground. Experiment with tucking stuff in and wearing a belt. If you have an average to long torso, this can look really cute.
2. Also, follow the Tim Guns rule of "thirds" Basically break your outfit into a 1/3 on top, 2/3s on bottom or vice versa. You end up looking longer this way.

Happy shopping!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
Not sure if it is on YouTube (can't pull it up), but Rachel Ray just had a show on this with great tips. Always wear long pants, skirt above the knees, sleevless or long sleeves (never short), v-neck or angular top, small jewelrey, small bag. If you watch the clip, great tips!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,787,625 times
Sounds to me like a brick or an apple (a la Trinny and Susannah's 12 body shapes). Or I could be totally off, but you can read more descriptions here:
Trinny and Susannah reveal 12 women's body types - which are you? | Mail Online

And don't pay too close attention to the women they use. A good many are overweight so you may share their shape but have an easier time finding clothes that flatter your smaller frame.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM

This is what I'm working with

Attachment 100991

Last edited by ~seasoul~; 09-17-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,787,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~seasoul~ View Post
This is what I'm working with

Attachment 100991
Yeah, I'd say a brick or a column (which is a slightly less stocky brick), and they end up with about the same clothing suggestions. Here's the Dos and Don'ts given by Trinny and Susannah for those shapes:

Column
Keep away from:
Anything shapeless, particularly long coats and dresses.
Straight dresses.
Crop tops.
Take a look at:
Round neck pullovers.
Belted coats with hip pockets.
Cropped trousers.
A-line skirts.
Flared trousers (but don’t overdo it!)
Big accessories to add shape.

Brick

Keep away from:
Bulky, broad shouldered jackets that make you look even bigger.
Anything that emphasises the width of your upper body (double breasted jackets etc.).
Very short skirts.
Trousers that do not hang naturally.
Clumpy, un feminine shoes.
Take a look at:
Anything that creates a waist, such as tightly belted jackets.
Empire line coats.
Loose but not too big trousers.
Gently draping jersey tops.
Asymmetrical skirts that drape nicely over your hips.
Tops with a pattern to break up the larger body area.

Here are a few specific items that I think would work well, but like all things you're going to have to try them on and see how it works on your body and how you feel in it.

Ann Taylor - AT Blouses Tops - Cotton Sateen Wraparound Waist Sleeveless Top

Ann Taylor - AT Pants - Stretch Linen Twill Wide Leg Pants with Sash

Banana Republic

BR Monogram accordion-pleat dress | Banana Republic

http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408

Flared Gauze Shirtdress - Anthropologie.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty