Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,411,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Haha...are you kidding?

Because I'm an adult, and have developed my own style. I have a twin sister, raised in the same household, and she has her own style, very different from mine.

My twin dresses in moo-moo style dresses, but spends more time in her home nude than I do.

Just fyi, I have started watching television and listening to "secular" music.
Ha Ha. No I am not kidding. Most of the time when we are brought up in a certain way and lifestyle, we normally adhere to it, or do not veer very far from it.

From being such a Christian person, etc, to working at Hooters and getting fake boobs and showing more of your breasts than not on the internet is a bit of a stretch.

Sounds like at least your twin is showing her husband, the one who is supposed to see her naked, her goods and not the world wide web and everyone on the street.

I understand that adults, we develop our own styles, I have as well. I would be damned before I let the people at my church, or my preacher, or my family come across pictures of myself anything like the ones you post of yourself.

OP, I go back and forth on your topic. I do think people should be covered. Note that I said people. I also don't think that men should go around with no shirts on either.

They could at least wear pasties! Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,312,596 times
Me, my mother, her husband and her children all routinely see all of her goodies.

Nobody but my bf sees mine.

She's got me beat by far.

My sister and I are both atheists, and we don't visit churches for approval of our styles and decision making. We refer to the only people that matter, ourselves.

There should be no "should" in any of this...skin alone doesn't hurt anyone...only ugly attitudes do.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,663,329 times
Yes. It is objectively ridiculous. Breasts are no more innately private or shameful than elbows. Plenty of cultures let it all hang out.

BUT... we live here, in the West, with a different set of standards. I do not perceive the need to wear a shirt as oppressive, nor does it bother me that men are drawn to a low cut top (on me or others.) On the flip side, I do not let religious hangups color my view of other women's rights to feed their babies, or dress up and feel sexy.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM

I for one, couldn't imagine having so much shame about my body that my own partner couldn't watch me dress...

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
If you raise two twin girls in a Christian homeschooling household that's comfortable with nudity...you get one twin who dresses modestly who's married with children, you get one twin who likes low cut tops who is unmarried and childless.

Basically there's no correlation. Though both of us prefer to be nude in our homes.
I don't agree with you. She is basically allowing the people that it should be ok to be seen with less clothes on. You are not.

I prefer to be nude in my home too, but only if I am the only one home. Doesn't make it ok for me to show the world.....

Do you think that if she were not married with children she would not be dressing so modestly, or did she dress the way you do before getting married?

I really don't mean to sound so judgmental of you in these posts, and I am sorry. I just think about it if it were myself.

What kind of people would I attract if I dressed this way? What kind of men would I attract? What would they think of me, and would I be worried that all they wanted me for was my boobs that I was flashing them.

Would I end up having anyone in the long term? Would my relationships all just be sexual in nature, and if they were, who would be at fault? Would I really ever know if I was in a quality relationship or not.

Now I know relationships are not the most important thing in the world, but they are a nice thing to have.

But again, this is coming from someone who was married at age 21 and who has raised 2 children.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,940,487 times
Quote:
The only reason that they shouldn't is because we've grown up in a society conditioned to be see breasts in such a way that we can only be shocked or aroused by them. No other option.
Not totally. It's not all societal conditioning...but evolutionary conditioning. This is the scientific explanation: Women with large breasts and rounded child-bearing hips would be more likely to produce and raise healthy offspring. Early man was genetically conditioned (I am talking about from the time of the cave man, onwards) to prefer women and be erotically aroused by women with large breasts. Men that didn't like these womanly features - their offsprings would often not survive - dying in child birth as women could not give birth in primitive times, or die in childhood as women would not be able to adequetly nurse their child. Those traits did not survive. On the other hand, this assured that those traits of males prefering large breasts would be handed down and contininue in the human male race in successive generations.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Me, my mother, her husband and her children all routinely see all of her goodies.

Nobody but my bf sees mine.

She's got me beat by far.

My sister and I are both atheists, and we don't visit churches for approval of our styles and decision making. We refer to the only people that matter, ourselves.

There should be no "should" in any of this...skin alone doesn't hurt anyone...only ugly attitudes do.
You are both atheists? Why do you even bring up the fact that you were raised in such a Christian home? You saying that you are an atheist, to me, makes it void.

It means nothing.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I for one, couldn't imagine having so much shame about my body that my own partner couldn't watch me dress...
Well I don't have shame. I undress in front of him, I just do not dress in front of him. It is just how I was raised. Somehow, I have retained the way I was raised....

Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Do you think that if she were not married with children she would not be dressing so modestly, or did she dress the way you do before getting married?

I really don't mean to sound so judgmental of you in these posts, and I am sorry. I just think about it if it were myself.

Well, Pikantari, with all due respect, I think getting married and having kids so early narrowed your life experience.

I like to dress flashy when I'm going out and I do go out quite frequently...but I don't only own low-cut tops. It may come as a surprise to you, but I have sweats, jeans, turtlenecks, etc. in my wardrobe and I do wear them.

Now, of course you see only the pictures of me going out in my albums and on my facebook. Because I'm not having pictures snapped while in a hoodie. Most women don't. And I do love me a good hoodie.

So I get the opportunity to see how people react to me, in a myriad of situations wearing a myriad of things.

I think you attribute magical qualities to clothing...but the truth is, unless what you wear is consistently contextually inappropriate, most normal people with diverse experiences aren't going to think any less of you if they can see cleavage in your tank top.

There are women who have learned to present themselves with their sexuality facing forward in the most modest of clothing, and have shallow and unfulfilling relationships. There are many happily married women who dress in ways that you apparently could never fathom.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
You are both atheists? Why do you even bring up the fact that you were raised in such a Christian home? You saying that you are an atheist, to me, makes it void.

It means nothing.
How would it mean nothing in the context of a discussion about how we were raised lends itselves to the people we are? You were talking about the kind of home you were raised in, I'm talking about the kind of home I was raised in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty