Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early/mid 20s and recently discovered I have fine lines under my eyes. I decided to finally start taking care of my skin. Since I was a teen, I never used moisturizer on my face. I rarely removed make-up before bed and basically never took care of my skin.

I finally want to begin and I don't know where to start. I was hoping people could share their skin care regimen (all ages please!). I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a bit confused. I want to prevent premature aging (I used to be a sun worshiper) and have fresh and healthy skin.

Recently I have been using a night cream (Neutrogena Naturals) and it has made my skin dewy and beautiful in the mornings.

Product recommendations and warnings are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Keep it simple. Get a cleansing milk, toner, daytime moisturizer, and eye makeup remover. Don't waste money on "treatments" - you're too young to even think about that stuff. SPF moisturizers are okay, but you'd probably have better results with a moisturizer that does -not- have sunscreen in it, and opt instead to get the sunscreen in your foundation. Reason: moisturizers are supposed to absorb INTO the skin. An SPF isn't going to do you much good unless it's sitting on the outside surface of your skin. If the sun has to penetrate the skin just to get to the sunscreen, then it's already too late.

Plus, sunscreens aren't very good for the skin, in general.

Clarins has some awesome skin care products. As for eye cream, everyone and their brother recommends ROC, which you can find at CVS, Walgreen's Rite-Aid, and pretty much any other drug store that has a skin care aisle. Personally I prefer MAC's, with caffeine in. But when I was your age I didn't bother with eye cream, and I'm only now just needing it, at age 50.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
I posted about it before. It's pretty much the same except I cut down on the retinol cream and peels for my face as they make your skin thinner and more susceptible to damage and wrinkles. I'm also using green tea as a toner for the EGCG which increases hydration and offers a little bit of sun protection. I'm looking into working a light vitamin E based cream into my routine as it's an antioxidant that's in the already in high amount in your skin and also offers some degree of UV protection. Apparently it gets depleted quickly when your skin is exposed to free radicals of highly polluted air.

I don't use the humidifier if the weather is sufficiently humid like 50% to 80% humidity naturally.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I don't think you need to use a separate eye cream.

At 53, I use CeraVe cleanser, MD Formulations Antioxident spray as a toner (applied with a cotton pad) and then on my wrinkly bits (forehead and throat) I use Roc Deep Correxxion, and follow that up with CeraVe facial moisturizer, am or pm version depending on the time. Since I dont use foundation most days I like the SPF CeraVe has.

When I tell people how old I am. most people are amazed -- they think I look like I'm in my early 40's.

All except the toner is drug store based stuff. CeraVe doesn't have antioxidents in it, so I use the MD.... but if I get a good serum for the antioxidents, I will drop the MD and get something else.

I am looking to add a serum to this mix. I can't find anything that doesn't have soy. I really liked the Skincueticals C+E, but it smelled really metallic on me....

Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
You need to go to a derm. Creams won't take away those lines. If you were a sun worshiper you should start getting regular skin checks now. Especially since you saw lines (signs of damage)

I only use "stuff" when I have a problem now.
Currently no skin issues so I just use the clear neutrogena bar (acne prone formula).
It really doesn't leave film so I only use alcohol as a "toner/disinfectant" when break outs happen.
Breakout = Neosporin on the spots and sorta blended out all over to prevent it from spreading.

I never really use eye cream or face lotion. Too heavy unless my skin is winter chapped or I am applying a heavy mineral makeup look(it sucks up oil).

Makeup removal - olive oil

Occasional hydration - rosewater when using mineral makeup. Cream based hydrating concealers for eyes.

1x week - sugar scrub w/ coffee or mango.

You don't really need a toner or moisturizer regularly if you pick something that doesn't strip your skin.
(unless you have skin issues that don't resolve with the basics)

Multi-vitamins + fruit and veggie servings = my skin does better when its more veggie than fruit for daily requirements.

NO: diet pop, alcohol, sweets - those are just the foods that I can see a negative effect on my skin. Regular soda probably would too but I usually only have a can and thats it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
For makeup removal, I use Koh Gen Do Spa Cleansing Water (I used the towelettes for travel.)

At night, I rotate throughout the week:
Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ (I used it on my neck, chest and shoulders as well)
Alpha Hydrox AHA wipes (14% glycolic acid to help with the retinol exfoliation)
Neova Night Therapy

My moisturizer is Neova Day Therapy with SPF 30.

Facial Washes:
Noxzema Triple Clean (the triclosan is for when I get breakouts)
Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face wash (I like it because it's not drying.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty