Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjobfashion View Post
I just contacted a company and asked if they are looking for people, that's all. I think I do, hard to tell at this point. My goal though is management, I'm really good at creating efficient plans. Or evaluation, checking if one does a good job. But people hate evaluation guys, may not be that great for my further career.

Yea, I don't like that fact. The guys are too "fun" for me, I have little to talk about with them. I don't go partying or whatever other "fun" activities they do, so I'm not sure how I'm going to fit in. I'd prefer to read a book or have a heated discussion, or do some work if I enjoy it instead.

@Jasper12 My haircut is like the one from the 60s using gel. I think it's okay, though some styling could be done, I agree. I'm reserving that for when I'll be in a higher position.

@TotallyTam I actually like the second look, and doesn't look so casual. Probably would still look good without the tie; and I like the colors too!

Problem with it is that the pants may get dirty quickly, so I'm not sure if I'm going to go the light pants way, as there may be rainy days during the summer and I don't have a car.

Definitely a great picture you found there.

The 2nd picture is actor William Levy, in case you didn't know. Just wear slacks/dress pants and whatever top you like without showing cleavage. That's how I interpret business casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
So much of all of the above sounds really dressy for the environment you're going to be in. I understand you want to look like yourself, but you don't want to stand out as the guy that is obviously overdressed. Some of those button down shirts look too dressy. However, you can dress them down with dark jeans.
This is what I was thinking. My husband works in a semi casual enviroment and so he doesn't look over dressed he'll wear slacks (black, grey, brown, etc) from Express, a button down shirt with a V-Neck sweater and dress shoes or if he's in a tie mood, he'll wear a button down with a tie (a skinny tie--express has them, regular ties look too stuffy) and dark wash jeans and his dress shows which look similar to the black ones the OP posted earlier. He always looks very put together but not too dressed up.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
If you have a Kohl's store near you, go there. They have hanging shirts to try on. First you have to measure your neck size, if you purchase a shirt that's not based on S, M, or L. There are also slacks/pants that are a little step up above khaki's; get flat-front pants, no pleats. As someone else said, you need to get v-neck t-shirts.

Assuming you're working more that one day a week, you'll need to get a few slacks, no? You can get away with less slacks, but you'll need to get more shirts for the week. Buy one tie to match one of the shirts; it's easier to do while you're there with the shirt. They usually have a heavily discounted rack, be sure to check that to keep your costs down. Make sure you're in the right department...young men or men? I agree with the loafer or other non-tie shoe and whatever color you get your shoe in, match those with a belt.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM

75 posts, read 72,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
If you have a Kohl's store near you, go there. They have hanging shirts to try on. First you have to measure your neck size, if you purchase a shirt that's not based on S, M, or L. There are also slacks/pants that are a little step up above khaki's; get flat-front pants, no pleats. As someone else said, you need to get v-neck t-shirts.

Assuming you're working more that one day a week, you'll need to get a few slacks, no? You can get away with less slacks, but you'll need to get more shirts for the week. Buy one tie to match one of the shirts; it's easier to do while you're there with the shirt. They usually have a heavily discounted rack, be sure to check that to keep your costs down. Make sure you're in the right department...young men or men? I agree with the loafer or other non-tie shoe and whatever color you get your shoe in, match those with a belt.
That's an excellent point. Right now I actually have 1 piece of chest-clothing that I feel moderately comfortable with wearing, one jeans and one shoes. Maybe also some socks.

That's when it hit me, hence I started another thread.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Where is the job? I hope not in Silicon Valley. If so you are going to want to march the style of the senior leaders. Which might mean northface jackets and jeans.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM

75 posts, read 72,646 times
It's not in the US.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjobfashion View Post
It's not in the US.
wait! this changes everything. we are giving you guidance based on American office culture.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:30 AM

9 posts, read 9,232 times
hey that's pretty formal and good !!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
THIS! Trust me!

Fitted UNTUCKED button down, suit jacket with dark blue jeans. You get the best of both worlds because you like suits.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-30-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
And use suit vests this way:

Men's fashion - Looks: invested / grey vest, black and white checkered shirt, blue jeans

By using suit jackets and vets with jeans and button downs, you can build your suit wardrobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty