Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Yeah...I think going up a couple sizes would do some favors as well if that is your true measurements.
Just because you can pull it on doesn't make it the proper fit. You will have to find lines with smaller waists or take them in yourself perhaps.
Okay, as I put on my loose size 6 petite job interview pencil skirt and size 4 jacket that fits me well.

My hips are a 39 because I have a Kim Kardashian butt, my legs aren't big.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Also, for the people saying I'm just dressing inapproriatly, my measurements measure out to a medium in Victorias secret panties and clothing. I think that equals a 4-6 in most clothing stores. Just because one person measured 39 inches and was a size 12 does not mean the who world will be.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

My hips are a 39 because I have a Kim Kardashian butt, my legs aren't big.
Legs have nothing to do with hip measurement.
Are you sure you are measuring in the proper place?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...surements.html

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I don't care what other people think.

I think you are making this way too hard, or like the previous poster said, you are just fishing for attention.
Look, just dress appropriately, and in what you like, and ignore the rest! I don't even notice the looks half the time until my husband points them out. I go about my business and don't think about it or engage in it.

If you are wearing properly fitting clothing and not letting it all hang out, then what is the problem?
You cannot control the actions of others, so what does it matter? You can't. So forget about it. Whatever you wear, it doesn't matter. You need to wear, what you need to wear. If your boobs are hanging out or your butt cheeks are and your clothes are too tight, people may be looking but not for the reasons you think.

Wear the clothing that is appropriate for what you are doing. Make sure things fit properly. If you are at work, cover up what needs to be, make sure the clothing is not skin tight. I see so many women that wear clothes too tight. Stuff hanging out... they think they are hot. Just because you aren't big, and you are a small size, doesn't mean that wearing small clothes with your goods sitcking out makes you look hot or good. And I'm not implying that you are... but that could be the reason for looks too. I just see it a lot.

Just wear what you like, wear appropriate clothes for the setting, make sure they fit and look nice, and go about your life. Who cares about what others are looking at? If you are still bothered, you may need to work on your own issues, it's not about changing your looks to make others change their behavior.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Legs have nothing to do with hip measurement.
Are you sure you are measuring in the proper place?

How to Get Your Body Measurements - For Dummies

Thanks! I have to go to an interview but I look forward to re measuring later. Maybe I have been doing it wrong.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Having been told I have an a$$ like Kim Kardashian's for so long....along w/ women who come up to me all the time to compliment my butt, lol- I have learned to accept my hips. I used to try to camouflage them, but it's pointless.
My hourglass shape is unique, & I appreciate that

Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
As summer dawns upon us, I have been wearing less clothes (to state the obvious ).

I'll wear a cotton t-shirt with shorts or a maxi dress with wedges.

My body has changed a bit, I have gained about 10 pounds and I'm in my mid 20s and my body has just changed since I was 20. I wear a size 4. Sometimes I buy size 6 if I want a loose look because I don't want to look sexy/curvy all the time.

I am self conscious at my commuter college because of my body. I always feel like I have to hide my chest in loose shirts or my butt with long shirts. I end up just feeling dowdy and frumpy . Also, when I wear looser or longer clothes it adds like 5 pounds on me.

If I wear clothes that fit me properly, I get too much attention and looks from the men in the classroom and I feel like the other women judge me.

I have been getting a lot of looks from strangers lately. It seems like almost every male I pass is checking me out. I try to dress conservatively but I hate feeling like I have to hide my body. I don't like how women are conditioned since we are little girls that we have to hide our bodies or be ashamed of them if we aren't small chested and rail thin with small hips.

I noticed my only curvy friend always wears baggy tops. She isn't fat she just has huge boobs.

I'm a 32DDD 38-28-39 and I want to wear cute clothes that every other 24 year old woman wears but I don't know if the attention is because I look slutty in anything that is fitted because of my shape or its just because I look good?

Hourglass ladies: Should we cover up more or just accept the looks and glances? What do you do?
Actually, hourglass doesn't mean busty, it's just a ratio of shoulders and hips to waist. I have an hourglass figure, but am only a B cup.

Having said that, it's not really clear what you mean by hiding your body or clothes fitting properly. We probably all have different opinions about what is fitting properly versus what is too tight or too small. If you are curvy, even if you are not busty, many clothes tend to look sexier on you than on a thin person. So things that fit properly that are relatively conservative can be suddenly too revealing and sexy for work or school when you put it on. This happens to me a lot. You have to find the right kind of clothing, so that it looks flattering, but not too sexy. It's not about hiding your body, it's just that things that are too revealing aren't professional and are just not appropriate for work or school. With an hourglass figure, it's just not that easy to find the right things.

A curvy figure makes it really hard to find clothes that both fit and are not inappropriate. You do not need to wear loose clothes, for sure. If you had a picture (like, with no face in it), I could say whether I think your clothes are appropriate for school or not, and maybe even suggest a brand or type of clothing. However, it's impossible to say without knowing exactly what you are wearing now.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post

Wear the clothing that is appropriate for what you are doing. Make sure things fit properly. If you are at work, cover up what needs to be, make sure the clothing is not skin tight. I see so many women that wear clothes too tight. Stuff hanging out... they think they are hot. Just because you aren't big, and you are a small size, doesn't mean that wearing small clothes with your goods sitcking out makes you look hot or good. And I'm not implying that you are... but that could be the reason for looks too. I just see it a lot.
This is so true. I work on a college campus, and a lot of the girls who are curvy are wearing stretch jeans with tight t-shirts. It's horrible looking, and I guess they don't know it. The shirts show every bulge and even ride up sometimes. If they sit down, you can see their panties or the tops of their butts in the back. Even when the girls are not out of shape and don't show a lot of skin, these stretchy clothes on a curvy figure look inappropriately sexy. It's hard to think of someone as smart and capable when they dress like they're looking for paying customers.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
The problem is that the form fitting/stretchy athletic cut tops in the junior/misses department aren't really designed for (many) busty girls.

You can try buying a minimizer bra - really strap 'em down - in an attempt to fit into the smaller cut tops or you can get roomier tops from the Women's section that tend to be too wide in the shoulders, droop too low onto the chest and are too much fabric in the middle (the cut works fine for a truly plus sized woman but is over sized for a merely busty/slighty chubby woman). Or you can get roomy t-shirts and polo shirts from the Men's dept.

There are similar issues w/jeans. Popular styles have pants sitting at the hips, but someone with a bit of a backside may need a different cut (maybe even a higher waist).

Last edited by springfieldva; 06-05-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM

149 posts, read 256,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
This is so true. I work on a college campus, and a lot of the girls who are curvy are wearing stretch jeans with tight t-shirts. It's horrible looking, and I guess they don't know it. The shirts show every bulge and even ride up sometimes. If they sit down, you can see their panties or the tops of their butts in the back. Even when the girls are not out of shape and don't show a lot of skin, these stretchy clothes on a curvy figure look inappropriately sexy. It's hard to think of someone as smart and capable when they dress like they're looking for paying customers.
I wear the jeans but since I am more top heavy I try to wear a looser top or dare I say it. I will put on a corset to smooth me out on top and suck me in to wear I look thin. I know what you mean I have to hold my tongue a lot when I am out shopping because I will see someone try and shove themselves into something that is to small. That is why I have embraced my curves and know what looks good and what doesn't on me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.