Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,923,361 times

Advertisements

Hey ladies!

I really need to update my wardrobe, but I'm having a hard time finding clothes that fit my shape well. I'm almost petite (5'4") and I have a slender frame. However, I'm also cursed with a slight apple shape (I'm thinner in the legs, butt, and hips...but have a bit of a round belly).

Sizing is hard for me, because larger sizes tend to be too loose in the butt and thighs, while smaller sizes tend to squeeze my gut and give me a muffin top.

Can anyone recommend stores or brands that are good for hiding a belly? I've had luck with Banana Republic so far, but I'd love more ideas. Perhaps stores that run similarly in their sizing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Unfortunately I can't help you much for clothing except that sundresses help and are cooler in hotter temperatures. With me though, I notice that depending on what I eat my belly can get bigger even though I may not gain weight. Processed food, especially things like chicken strips, fish sticks and fries, can make my stomach bigger even if just temporarily and make it hard to fit into pants I normally wear. When I cut back it's not as bad. I've now reached a temporary solution where I'll eat things like rice with veggies before work (I work overnights) and that will help keep me full AND not bloat my stomach so much. Things like drinking regularly can also make it worse for me even though I'm very thin otherwise. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,386,313 times
Its hard to find pants that hide a belly. Shirts with an empire waist could help. What size pants do you usually wear?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
How about just correcting your diet and lose some body fat?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
belly exercises? Youtube has tons of examples

Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM

Osito - Good points. And yes, I have found that dresses flatter my shape a lot better than shirts and pants.

easternerDC - I'm usually a size 4, but it depends on where I'm shopping. A petite 6 also works for me at some stores.

boxus - Even during my teenage years, when I only weighed about 100 lbs, I still had a protruding tummy. I think I might be genetically designed to hold a bit of extra weight around the torso. Sadly, short of liposuction, I don't think the tummy bump is ever going to go away completely.

oh-eve - I currently do yoga and pilates, but if you have other ideas, I'll try anything once.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Osito - Good points. And yes, I have found that dresses flatter my shape a lot better than shirts and pants.

easternerDC - I'm usually a size 4, but it depends on where I'm shopping. A petite 6 also works for me at some stores.

boxus - Even during my teenage years, when I only weighed about 100 lbs, I still had a protruding tummy. I think I might be genetically designed to hold a bit of extra weight around the torso. Sadly, short of liposuction, I don't think the tummy bump is ever going to go away completely.

oh-eve - I currently do yoga and pilates, but if you have other ideas, I'll try anything once.
The 'belly pooch' definitely runs in my family. My Grandma, aunt, Mom, sister etc. all have a little belly pooch. When I was 120 lbs at 6'1 tall my Mom joked around about my '4 pack' because I could never get my stomach completely flat, even though I was technically underweight. My Mom is around 5'5 and in her high school photos she was barely above 100 lbs and still had a belly pooch.

It may just be genetic, and you may just be predisposed to carrying weight in your tummy

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Some pants have a panel inside to smooth your silhouette, like these: Denim | NYDJ - Not Your Daughter's Jeans Official Store My daughter has a pair of those and she says they're comfortable. Also, pants with a higher waist might be more flattering than the ones that are designed to sit on your hip bones.

You probably don't want to start wearing empire waist shirts because people will assume you're pregnant.

My daughter has been hula hooping lately with a weighted hoop and she thinks that's how she flattened out her stomach...we had to go buy smaller jeans for her this week.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some pants have a panel inside to smooth your silhouette, like these: Denim | NYDJ - Not Your Daughter's Jeans Official Store My daughter has a pair of those and she says they're comfortable. Also, pants with a higher waist might be more flattering than the ones that are designed to sit on your hip bones.
These look promising. I'll give them a try!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Check your posture. Having even a slight anterior pelvic tilt can give you an appearance of having a "belly", no matter how low your body fat becomes.

Google aorund for pelvic tilt, and you can make a good self diagnosis if this is something you have. If you are uncomfortable doing a self diagnosis, go see a physician that can assist.

There are also many tools online that show how you can correct an anterior pelvic tilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty