Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 PM

621 posts, read 1,055,290 times

Advertisements

Oh... and remember the power of print/design. Look patterns with variation. No stripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,562,173 times
google "fashion tips for apple shape" or something along those lines...there are many websites devoted to this very topic.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 AM

438 posts, read 661,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Its hard to find pants that hide a belly. Shirts with an empire waist could help. What size pants do you usually wear?

Empire waist would make her look pregnant if she has a belly.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,858,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love how the advice here is to lose weight. So you are supposed to stay home in isolation until your tummy is socially acceptable.

PS I have seen shapewear in all sizes at mainstream stores from all brands. Spanx brand,target brand and everything in between.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
The OP has clothes, so she is not confined to isolation, she is just looking for better fit clothes.

So instead of searching everywhere for some specific fit to cover a perceived flaw (band aid solution); how about just fixing the problem itself?

While many posters gave clothing advice, which covered her immediate needs, I provided advice that may, or may not, solve the problem in the long term.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I know, but 15% seems too low considering that at 24% I'm already slim all over my body except my belly. If I cut down almost half my body fat - and it's impossible to target fat loss as you say - I'm afraid that I will look WAY too skinny, with bones protruding and everything.

Anyway, I looked up the normal body fat percentages for women and this is what I found:

ACE Fit | Fit Life | What are the guidelines for percentage of body fat loss?

According to that source, 15% body fat would be on the low side even for an athlete (and I'm far from that ). I will check your post about posture (would be nice if the solution were that simple).
You are right, I am use to talking to men about this stuff; lower your body fat down 5% or to about 18 - 20%.

Even at that, posture issues are a problem for many people, and the solution is sometimes just that simple depending on the effort given, and the severity of the issue.

You will not look too skinny if you conduct your diet right, along with proper exercise. As your chart shows, athletes have a lower body fat than you, and they do not look too skinny.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The OP has clothes, so she is not confined to isolation, she is just looking for better fit clothes.

So instead of searching everywhere for some specific fit to cover a perceived flaw (band aid solution); how about just fixing the problem itself?

While many posters gave clothing advice, which covered her immediate needs, I provided advice that may, or may not, solve the problem in the long term.
The problem is not the woman, but the clothing fit model. Everyone deserves well fitting clothing, flaws or not.

The OP came to ask for a brand with a fit model matching her shape. Your solution is change your shape.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem is not the woman, but the clothing fit model. Everyone deserves well fitting clothing, flaws or not.

The OP came to ask for a brand with a fit model matching her shape. Your solution is change your shape.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
But that's the only solution to everything.

I'll try to find the thread, but I'm on another message board where a woman was talking about changing her hair color. Someone said if she lost weight she could be more confident and her hair color wouldn't matter as much.

She hadn't posted her stats, weight, height or anything...but apparently 'lose weight' was the solution to her not being able to decide what color she wanted to dye her hair.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Well, when the OP states:

"However, I'm also cursed with a slight apple shape (I'm thinner in the legs, butt, and hips...but have a bit of a round belly)."

This shows she has a concern about her appearance.

And given this: "Even during my teenage years, when I only weighed about 100 lbs, I still had a protruding tummy. I think I might be genetically designed to hold a bit of extra weight around the torso. Sadly, short of liposuction, I don't think the tummy bump is ever going to go away completely."

The OP appears to have a posture problem. The OP expresses concern that she does not like her belly, or she would not have used the term "cursed" to describe her condition. I do not see what is wrong with giving advice on what appears to be a posture problem.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
Wow! I came back from a weekend trip to lots of helpful responses.

To answer a question asked on the last page, I haven't had my body fat professionally measured, but based on this image, I'd say that I look most similar to the 25% girl (but with slimmer legs): Body Fat Percentage Pictures

I have used shapewear in the past, but might look into better brands that offer better coverage.

The posture suggestions may be worth investigating more. I do have scoliosis, which I hadn't considered as a possible culprit early on. In addition to the posture exercises, I might try wearing my brace at home again to see if it helps at all.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,249,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Wow! I came back from a weekend trip to lots of helpful responses.

To answer a question asked on the last page, I haven't had my body fat professionally measured, but based on this image, I'd say that I look most similar to the 25% girl (but with slimmer legs): Body Fat Percentage Pictures
Yep, same here, also with the slimmer legs. But it might be that her posture (slightly crossing her legs) make her legs seem bigger.

Then again, I wouldn't like to have the belly of the 20-22% girl either, it's too muscular.

Something that helps for me (although it might just be in my own mind) is to wear a camisole underneath my shirt. It seems to "even things out" and make my belly look flatter. I mean something like this:

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty