Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM

70 posts, read 511,922 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily a "costume" but I am looking to dress for work pretty much the exact opposite of how I dress every other day. I am 5'7", 145 pounds, size 8, with a larger chest. My typical attire is "plain" - I wear slim fit khaki style pants, a blouse or sweater, flats, and no make up.

On Halloween, I'd like to wear heals, a dress, make up, jewelry, and style my hair in a different way.

I don't know fashion trends or what is hip or cool for the fall season. Mostly looking for input on a dress and shoes that would be work place appropriate (I am a government employee and work in a typical office setting).

Also, don't want to spend tons of money, so budget conscious suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Try this dress at Target: Mossimo® Women's Sleeveless Ponte Color bloc... : Target (I happen to like the blue & black combo). Black strappy heeled sandals with a bit of gladiator style to them will work with this dress, or a simple black pump.

How long is your hair? That's going to make a ton of difference in what you can do.

Make-up, go for groomed brows, cat-eye liner, mascara, a bit of blush and strong red lips

Jewelry -- either very bold earrings and a cuff bracelet, OR a statement necklace, one bold ring and small or no earrings.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Depends on your weather. I wouldn't wear a sleeveless dress to any conservative office like a government job ever. Certainly not if it's going to be cold.

Something with sleeves, a round neck, can be a shift or belted. No gladiator heels if your office is conservative, just a nice dark heel. If others add a bit of color for Halloween, get some cheap skull earrings or pumpkins, maybe a pin or Orange/black scarf with a pumpkin pin.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You should be able to find dresses to fit you at any major department store, and many specialty stores. Not knowing the latest trends is not a problem. Those dresses you find will be in style. But if you want to see examples, find a site like Banana Republic or Anthropologie to see what is out there. I think Athropologie should give you some ideas of totally different things.

If you are dressing for Halloween, and it will be a costume day, then you can wear anything you want, excepting revealing things.

You can get a makeover for free at any cosmetic counter or at a place like Ulta or Sephora. I think every female should wear some makeup, so spend some time learning about what you need. But start with the makeover, so you can see how you might like to see yourself. For eyeshadow I like Ulta; for makeup and lipstick, I like Revlon. But get a consult and then buy stuff.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
One Halloween I decided to be a 50s housewife.

I wore a fit and flare dress with a belt, modest heels and an apron. I also added pearls and a headband. It as really cute and easy to repurpose for other days of the year. Add a cardigan and you are set with a slightly demure outfit.

A dress in a shape like this:

http://www.trashydiva.com/shop/trash...-hawaiiancharm

It was memorable, months later I met people from the holloween party, and they commented on my costume.

I think I will do it again, the apron was so practical since it had pockets.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 AM

70 posts, read 511,922 times
Thanks! I appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One Halloween I decided to be a 50s housewife.

I wore a fit and flare dress with a belt, modest heels and an apron. I also added pearls and a headband. It as really cute and easy to repurpose for other days of the year. Add a cardigan and you are set with a slightly demure outfit.

A dress in a shape like this:

Trashy Diva Alison Dress | Retro Inspired Dress | Hawaiian Charm

It was memorable, months later I met people from the holloween party, and they commented on my costume.

I think I will do it again, the apron was so practical since it had pockets.
Don't forget to bring your vacuum cleaner this year.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Don't forget to bring your vacuum cleaner this year.
Hehehe. The housewife is my version of a sexy costume.

I thought my dress was pretty demure, but it is hilarious how attention getting it was. I get so many complements when I wear it out and about. Beige with white polka dots and a pretty tame neckline. You just never know.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hehehe. The housewife is my version of a sexy costume.

I thought my dress was pretty demure, but it is hilarious how attention getting it was. I get so many complements when I wear it out and about. Beige with white polka dots and a pretty tame neckline. You just never know.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Why do women use Halloween as an excuse to unleash their inner-tramp?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Why do women use Halloween as an excuse to unleash their inner-tramp?
My inner tramp is is more sock hop than king magazine model.

But Halloween is a time that you can step outside your regular persona and do something different. So some people fund that freeing,

But to be honest, my costume was about 80% something I would wear to work. I would have just changed the accessories. I think what ended up making it appealing to some audiences is that jt was very much 1950s girl next door. Perhaps something that was a little unexpected.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty