Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM

194 posts, read 636,683 times

Advertisements

My skin gets really dry and tough in the winter (I'm a guy by the way, in case it matters). And so I use lotion after I get out of the shower to keep my skin moisturized and not scratchy and rough.

Right now I just use the Vaseline intensive rescue or something like that. It's OK, but it's still just a light little lotion. Sometimes I even have to put it on twice a day if I am working outside.

I just want something, even if it's a little more hardcore or cream-like, that will moisturize better and last longer, and I won't have to keep constantly re-applying. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,189,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
My skin gets really dry and tough in the winter (I'm a guy by the way, in case it matters). And so I use lotion after I get out of the shower to keep my skin moisturized and not scratchy and rough.

Right now I just use the Vaseline intensive rescue or something like that. It's OK, but it's still just a light little lotion. Sometimes I even have to put it on twice a day if I am working outside.

I just want something, even if it's a little more hardcore or cream-like, that will moisturize better and last longer, and I won't have to keep constantly re-applying. Any suggestions?

So what's the big deal about putting it on twice a day?

Just buy a reasonably priced brand at the local pharmacy or Costco. You don't need the fancy expensive stuff. I'm a guy too and I put whatever is cheap on my face two or three times a day.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
So what's the big deal about putting it on twice a day?

Just buy a reasonably priced brand at the local pharmacy or Costco. You don't need the fancy expensive stuff. I'm a guy too and I put whatever is cheap on my face two or three times a day.
I agree, my daughter and I have used a brand, we get at Sam's, probably similar to the one at Cosco. It comes in a round jar, is thick but goes on smooth and isn't expensive. My dermatologist recommend one that was much more expensive and I don't think it worked one bit better.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
Eucerin does the trick for me. It is more expensive but infinitely superior to the Vaseline. You also might try lubriderm. I am very dry and that didn't work for me. But it is very good.

Also switch out your body wash /soap/shower gel to something creamy.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
my primary care doctor recommends just plain Canola Oil in a stray bottle. She says it works great. I have had trouble finding it, so I am ordering it on line. The catch, of course, do not put your cloths on until it has had time to soak in. Of course this is true about any creams.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my primary care doctor recommends just plain Canola Oil in a stray bottle. She says it works great. I have had trouble finding it,
Canola oil is in every grocery store.

I'll second Eucerin, and with the mention of oil Neutrogena Body Oil might be a good option. If your skin is that dry, also make sure that you're drinking enough water and that you're not taking super-hot showers, which will dry out your skin.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM

568 posts, read 963,472 times
Coconut oil works wonders....

Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,863,018 times
The cost of applying cheapo, watered-down lotion multiple times a day could equal applying a more expensive, concentrated brand once daily. A couple of good moderately priced drugstore creams/lotions are Gold Bond and Aveeno

I also really like Jade408's suggestions of Eucerin and Lubriderm.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Palmer's cocoa butter lotion is about as cheap, basic, and moisturizing as it gets.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Coconut oil works wonders....
Coconut oil doesn't like me, especially alone, but blended with other things works. I have fortified crappy lotion with coconut oil with good success.

Coco butter is nice, but does take a bit to soak in. So I tend to like lotion better. I like the Neutrogena body oil as well. If you have a Nordies Rack, they have huge bottles for cheap there. Surprisingly the Jergen's naturals lotions are pretty good. I can use them in the summer (and I am very very dry). I also find Aquaphor is good. My friend swears by Ceravae but it is kinda hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty