Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 07:06 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

Advertisements

I've never personally tried this before, but I've heard that you can coat the skin side of your metal jewelry (or other things) with clear nail polish or a clear finish designed for metal, in order to protect yourself from the nickel. Because of this allergy, many people find themselves unable to wear their rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and watches. I have a friend who tried the clear nail polish on the inside of her jean buttons, because even THOSE would break her out. She claims that it made all the difference in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdoughnuts View Post
I am allergic to nickel and I paint the metallic part of the watch with a bunch of nail polish when I want to use it. (You can use clear nailpolish, but i find it more comforting to use a color so I can see when it gets scratched off). You probably want to consider another watch for everyday use tough. Also be careful with any non 18-24 k gold jewelry and metallic buttons in your jeans waist. (Inside, use naillish here too).
Oh crap, didn't see your post. LOL You beat me to the punch!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
You didn't say so, but is the watch flush against your skin or is there some kind of hollowness to it, like an indentation or something? If so, that is probably the cause. I had to take my wedding band in to be 'closed off' with metal because the hollowness was causing water to get in and hence, a rash.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Yes, it is sort of loose and slides somewhat. I liked it that way and will think about all of these suggestions. I am looking on line for new watches. Titanium and other nickel free bracelet types. I have strap watches which I mentioned so the bracelet is sort of different and more jewelry for me. Invicta makes nickel free watches but I am not fond of what I saw on line. I would really be unhappy to get a Tag Heur or Raymond Weil and then have the rash appear again. BTW, I do not wear any rings on fingers.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
My skin will corrode many metal backed watches, as well as some tanned leathers.
If the watch has a stainless or titanium back it is resistant to my skin.
I currently wear a self winding Seiko watch with a clear glass back.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:58 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have been puzzled by sometimes having my wrist turn black under my watch. It is an expensive watch with stainless and gold, and this only happens once in awhile. I have never figured out what triggers it.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
I have just discovered a nickel allergy under my watch that spread to my chest. Hydrocortisone 1% over the counter helped me. And I avoided tuna fish and chocolate. After reading on-line, I found out these two foods can make it worse.

I like the idea of putting a band-aid under my watch until I can find a different watch or band.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Yep, me too, nickel allergy. Even with a leather strap watch, the back of the watch "face" can have nickel in it. So I make sure I get a steel watch like a Skagen, or anything else that I can be sure doesn't contain nickel.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been puzzled by sometimes having my wrist turn black under my watch. It is an expensive watch with stainless and gold, and this only happens once in awhile. I have never figured out what triggers it.
I have two 18/SS watch bracelets--only one of them does this. It's the one that has a slightly more complex link design. I've finally figured out that I just need to clean it more frequently it doesn't even look dirty when this happens, though. I let it air dry before putting it back on.

I heard "somewhere" many years ago that it could have something to do with diet causing a reaction to the metal. I have no idea if that's true.

Maybe I should google it .

Old 04-10-2016, 05:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
http://https://www.helzberg.com/cate...tion/metals.do
gentlearts look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty