Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

As I guy, I do confess wearing a ring with my birthstone on it. But now I hid it away since pure ruby is likely to be stolen here, and that ring means a lot to me. I do wear it on special occasions and festivals though and have never heard anybody call me Gay for wearing my ring .

Even my mom avoids wearing jewelery here nowadays unless its a special occasion, because a number of thieves out here recently have beat up women and stolen their jewelery. I heard happen to someone we knew just a few days back .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Move to VA.

People wearing blingbling grills in their mouth and massive gold chains around their neck, while driving their lifted cars with spinning wheels and flames painted on it. You might fit in.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:22 AM

632 posts, read 932,998 times
Keep rockin' your own style. Most people in Atlanta don't care if you wear jewelry and it doesn't indicate anything about sexual orientation.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
Precious, who cares what anyone thinks? If you like to wear jewelry, by all means, wear it! Yes, things are a bit different here in the south, but your earrings and necklace don't define you.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 PM

270 posts, read 703,558 times
I've seen and read so many hypocrite posts on CD lately about the gay topic. Some people said that "there is no secret dress code to identify whether a guy is gay or not," yet others judge a guy based on his jewelry and clothes smh -_-
OP, you keep rocking your style and don't mind what others say. Everyone entitles to his/her own opinions.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:45 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Only jewelry that bothers me on a man are rings. Not wedding bands, and I don't think the men are gay, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Don't let it get to you. Wear what you want!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
There's a certain way a man wears his jewelry and the shape of said jewelry that would make him look gay. You know what it is. Too much of anything is gaudy. If you want to look classy and still masculine, a nice timepiece with your dress clothes is more than sufficient.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
I think "Welcome to the South" pretty much sums everything up.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Its a compliment or envy or jealous being said you look gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
When I was in NYC this was never a problem. But when I came down to Atlanta, my sexual orientation came into question solely because of the jewelry that I wear. I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make simply because of...jewelry! My friend down here said men who wear jewelry in the south are typically gay. Is this true? I do notice less men wearing gold necklaces and bracelets, but how does that mean you're gay if you do wear them?

On a normal day, I typically wear a nice gold chain with a crucifix that was given to me by my grandmother. I sometimes wear diamond earrings (not huge gangster ones) on occasion along with a gold watch and bracelet.

People down here have labeled me as a "Guido" just because of the chain and cross I wear. Which makes no sense because I'm not Italian...I'm black.

Are men not seen wearing gold crosses down here because Catholicism isn't dominate? Is it just an old way of thinking?

For the record, I have no problem with gay people. I just don't like being labeled like that since I'm straight.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There's a certain way a man wears his jewelry and the shape of said jewelry that would make him look gay. You know what it is. Too much of anything is gaudy. If you want to look classy and still masculine, a nice timepiece with your dress clothes is more than sufficient.
I don't dress in order to puff up my masculinity. I wear a watch because it is useful and I like the way it looks; I couldn't possibly care less what conclusions you're drawing as you pondering the 'message' you bizarrely think I'm sending by wearing a watch. The same goes for my other jewelry - my wedding band, which I wear because I like to do so (and because doing so pleases my wife, not surprisingly), and my single earring, which I also wear because I like to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty