Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:02 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times

Advertisements

I spend much less time on my hair, makeup, clothes, etc.. My routine is far, far simpler, but I do use significantly better products and that helps a lot! I've really come to understand what works and what doesn't.

However, I spend waay more time working out, eating well, and sleeping than I did when I was younger! I am a lot more conscious of my overall health than just my outward appearance - something that I was a little short-sighted about when I was younger... Honestly - maintaining a fit, trim body and moving with energy keeps the years off better than any product I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm not sure I qualify is "older" in the sense that the OP is asking (midthirties), but I will say that I wear less makeup now than I did in my twenties, spend less time getting ready when I leave the house, and have, over the years, generally streamlined my process and my look, and gone with a more natural approach. I don't fight my natural hair texture, and I don't put a lot of emphasis on makeup. I feel that my skin, as I go through the natural aging process, looks better with less on it, as long as I use good cleansing products, moisturizers, and sunscreen.

It's mostly a confidence thing. In my early twenties, for instance, I didn't think I looked good enough in my natural state to go au naturel. Now, I have a different degree of confidence and a different outlook on it. I imagine this will continue as I age to the point that I believe the OP is asking about.

When I think of the time I devoted to messing with my looks in my twenties, when, truth be known, I'm sure I looked fine in my natural state, it makes me sad. Hours at the mirror, never to be gotten back. Although I also am a ton better about getting proper sleep than I was in my twenties, which has probably also improved my appearance.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Thank God I don;t have wrinkles. It's just genetics, nothing else. I wouldnt do Botox or restalyne.
Yes, I take more care now than in my 20s. For once I color my hair every 4 weeks, otherwise I'd be almost 80% white and in patches and it would look miserable.
I eat organic, cook my own meals. I don;t go to junk food places. I cook my junk food (aka cakes). It's hard to give up on sugra but I have to. I do yoga and work out. I do wear high heels and pointed shoes. Actually now I discovered that I cant dress too frilly like I used too but I can accessorize. Actually at work people know me as the Russian woman with a sense of style. Actually I'm not Russian but they consider me as one.
And I love shoes. If I wear a simple cut dress in a single color (say red or black) you can bet I'd wear some head turning shoes. I play a lot with scarves or jewelry.
I do wear makeup and I do look good with bright red lipstick, but I like to keep things simple. If I wear bright lipstick the clothes are simple in one color and I'll have the lipstick match the shoes or purse or both. I war the same hair color as in my youth. And I love red.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Older ladies: do work harder now to look presentable? What are you doing now hair, makeup, and fashion wise that you didn't when younger?
I work about as hard as I ever did; I probably do different stuff now than when I was younger, but not necessarily more. I think what it is you have to pay attention more to things about your appearance you barely gave a thought to in your 20s because the little "thorns of beauty" did not exist.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:28 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
I work less to be "presentable." When I see that word, I ask myself, "Presentable compared to what?" then I think Walmart shoppers. Then I think, of course I'm presentable.

I used to color my hair but I gave it up two years ago. (I'm in my 60's) That was a huge time-saver and I love the new look - I wish I had done it sooner. I used to use makeup daily, but now, not so much. I think it has to do with confidence in who I am with or without.

When I do wear it, I use a light touch as well. A bit of blush and light lipstick plus eyeshadow help.

I use moisturizer (actually, I use olive oil or coconut oil with a bit of water to make an emulsion.) and it keeps my skin from feeling tight and dry.

Can always add more exercise besides my typing fingers... Well, this is a New Year and it is a priority.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:29 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
"presentable" It bugs me when some people think they are other peoples audience and judges to order other people should please them by their looks

Anyway, I focus to Feel good
I don't understand why people get upset over this term. To me "presentable" is the way an older woman - one with grown up kids, to clarify this term too - would look if she goes to a job interview. The way she would dress in an office environment to keep up with younger colleagues, or not look less "presentable" than her own employees. In these situations one doesn't want to focus on feel good. Fell good is at home in your PJ, but the topic was about the face we are putting up there, in the world, especially in the workplace.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times
I'm in my early 40's and the one thing I'm more mindful of is my skin care. I wear sunscreen regularly and use retinol cream at night with moisturizer in the morning around the eyes.

My hair is probably less work than it used to be. I don't blow dry it or curl it because I've read so much about hair getting drier as we age, that I haven't wanted to exacerbate the looming issue. The upside to this is that my hair is now very healthy and shiny - so I've had no reason to go shorter just yet.

Makeup is the same - I use a little more for going out at night. I still love to play with different looks: smokey eye with nude lips or red, red lips and simple mascara.

As far as clothes - I do give pause to what's age appropriate. I love clothes as I love art. I go for unique looks and love to play with color combos. I'm pretty fit and petite - so I tend to like shorter skirts and monochromatic looks that make me look longer. As I've said before on these forums, I don't want to wear stuff just because I can - it may not be age appropriate. I don't wear anything with logos or slogans but I do wear everything fitted.

BTW, this is a great topic. I love hearing feedback from other women on these topics and often get some great tips.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Less make up for sure, even for evenings out it's quick routine. Heels were a constant, now I will only put them on for a night out on the town and nothing even slightly as high as I used to wear them. Not a fashionista, gave that sort of thing up eons ago, but, I do care about the condition of the clothing, how the garments will look on me and for what occassion I am dressing. Can't say I've always been thrilled with every result, like when I'm in a hurry, but, I give it my best shot most of the time.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,552 times
Man here..I've noticed many older ladies going to Pilates or "get in shape" places where I'm from. And it seems to work for em
as many of these older ladies look good after some months workout's..
And good for them..

Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Thank God I don;t have wrinkles. It's just genetics, nothing else. I wouldnt do Botox or restalyne.
Yes, I take more care now than in my 20s. For once I color my hair every 4 weeks, otherwise I'd be almost 80% white and in patches and it would look miserable.
I eat organic, cook my own meals. I don;t go to junk food places. I cook my junk food (aka cakes). It's hard to give up on sugra but I have to. I do yoga and work out. I do wear high heels and pointed shoes. Actually now I discovered that I cant dress too frilly like I used too but I can accessorize. Actually at work people know me as the Russian woman with a sense of style. Actually I'm not Russian but they consider me as one.
And I love shoes. If I wear a simple cut dress in a single color (say red or black) you can bet I'd wear some head turning shoes. I play a lot with scarves or jewelry.
I do wear makeup and I do look good with bright red lipstick, but I like to keep things simple. If I wear bright lipstick the clothes are simple in one color and I'll have the lipstick match the shoes or purse or both. I war the same hair color as in my youth. And I love red.
Are you my long lost twin? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty