Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

In addition to some of the other brands mentioned here, I have had good luck with Ferragamo, Alden, and Gucci. I have a pair of Tom Ford shoes that have also held up well, despite sometimes being worn in less than ideal conditions. For me, it depends upon the shoe and the quality of construction more than any one price range, though there is a drop-off in the quality and durability of some shoes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's actually more miser-worthy to wear the higher priced quality shoes for decades than to keep throwing out the cheaper ones that wont wear.

Here's another trick for the miserly:

Buy expensive oxford shirts, say from Brooks Brothers, and when the collars and cuffs fray, you remove them, flip them over and you have new collars and cuffs

It's an old European trick my ex used when he could only afford two suits and 2 pants and 2 jackets starting out his career. And he bought the best shoes he could afford and they lasted a decade.

He also had an idea to invent a shoe guard to keep the heels of the shoe from getting beat up driving. Years later we saw them in a catalogue!

Shoes polish the look and are really important - yep it will definitely apply.

If you have "casual" days meaning no suit you can also pick up a good pair of loafers - look for leather soles. They should last decades just like dress shoes. LOL here's the lengths people will go to to keep their favorite loafer:

Alden 986 Restoration – Part One | Red Clay Soul

Brooks Brothers range from 100 to 650 or so:

Penny Loafers - Brooks Brothers
That Brooks Brothers link is to boys' shoes. Men's dress shoes Men's Shoes, Boots, and Footwear by Brooks Brothers
range from $198 to $3695.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Very crass & unfair. Personally, with shoes, I'd only buy them in-store, only as the fit differs with each pair. But, spending money wisely isn't something to be scoffed at. It's not the consumers' responsibility to pay a salesperson's wages... if the store owner doesn't offer the best price, then it's the consumers' right & responsibility to their own budgets to buy cheaper elsewhere.

To attack those who are spending their hard earned dollars wisely by inferring they have no integrity is nothing short of crude.

Consider this viewpoint-if the internet offers no way to try on the shoes, why would you shop there? You're implying...no, actually you said... that price is the only determining factor on where to buy something, rather than service.

I didn't infer. I said it outright. Using the resources of a B&M retailer when one knows they will be buying online is an excellent definition of integrity.

Please don't insult me or yourself by suggesting that one doesn't know if the store is going to be more expensive than the internet before one goes in. That's every bit as much a lie as the ones told to store employees so one can escape without buying.

Slightly more off topic, if people, rather than lying to store employees with lame reasons to not buy so they can go home and order online, would learn to communicate, they might be surprised what the store could do on pricing.

It is the consumer's responsibility to do business in the same manner they would like others to do business with them. But too many today can get away with showrooming, so they don't feel the need to do what is right. Integrity-they don't have it.

Here's the real test: Would you want people coming into a store you owned, enjoying what you offer, taking up the time of your employees, with those people knowing they will not be buying from you?

Last edited by vmaxnc; 02-08-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Well, I got back a few hrs ago with a swanky pair of AE's. I got the classic flagships...the Park Ave's in black. But, I was very tempted to get a pair of brown 5th Ave's also. They were really nice. Problem was that it's my first pair of nice shoes and I just wasn't ready to drop the coin on 2 pairs in one pop just yet, and thankfully, they didn't have my size of the 5th ave in stock. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting them within the next few weeks though.

The Park Ave's are pretty awesome I must say. They look great, better than any other shoe I've had and feel great when held. They are a bit stiff but I'm sure they'll feel nice after break in, what with the cork footbed and all. Anyway, I'm happy so far. I did stop in a Clark's shoe store before and after and the quality of Clarks and Bostonians in that store was noticeably less. It was never apparent to me though because I had nothing to compare it to.

Anyway, I'm happy and my wife is ecstatic so thanks to all. Even those who expressed opposing opinions.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Please don't insult me or yourself by suggesting that one doesn't know if the store is going to be more expensive than the internet before one goes in.
You have me confused with another poster... but, you like to twist words, so it's pointless to continue... it bores me.

Quote:
Here's the real test: Would you want people coming into a store you owned, enjoying what you offer, taking up the time of your employees, with those people knowing they will not be buying from you?
We all know the definition. You're assuming a lot on scenario. Again, you're confusing me with someone else. And, I don't & won't ever own a store, but know full well people can shop here, there or next door. Don't be naive & stop name calling.

Maybe your shoes are too tight... that's what's put you in your naff mood. Perhaps you should look for a nice pair of John Fluevogs. But, don't forget... if you try 'em, you better buy 'em, otherwise you have no integrity, yeah?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Well, I got back a few hrs ago with a swanky pair of AE's. They are a bit stiff but I'm sure they'll feel nice after break in, what with the cork footbed and all.
Congrats! A good cobbler can break in those shoes for you. If AE doesn't do it (I'm sure they could), there is a cobbler on Boylston in Copley... don't let the name fool you... they do good work:

Boston Instant Shoe Repair - Back Bay - Boston, MA

I've also had him do handbag repairs on vintage bags. Excellent work & very reasonable cost.

I know people also like George's in the S. End near Albany St., but I've never gone. An ex-bf of mine used to drop off his shoes (he had only high end footwear) with George or sometimes, he does pickups, too.

But, I think I'd only trust my brand new leather to AE, since if there were any issues, they'd surely replace them.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You have me confused with another poster... but, you like to twist words, so it's pointless to continue... it bores me.

We all know the definition. You're assuming a lot on scenario. Again, you're confusing me with someone else. And, I don't & won't ever own a store, but know full well people can shop here, there or next door. Don't be naive & stop name calling.

Maybe your shoes are too tight... that's what's put you in your naff mood. Perhaps you should look for a nice pair of John Fluevogs. But, don't forget... if you try 'em, you better buy 'em, otherwise you have no integrity, yeah?
You deflected, deferred, and accused me of things I did not do, but didn't answer any of the questions I asked. Maybe you were too bored. Pshaw.

As for Fluevogs, I value comfort far more than trendiness and someone else's style. Nothing I read about his shoes suggests they would correct any perceived comfort issue I may have, but maybe I'd look more fashionable to those who care about such things.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 02-09-2014 at 05:40 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I thought I bought good shoes but am amazed at how many buy high end men's shoes here. I have always had good luck with Johnson-Murphy, Cole-Haan ( have some Italian loafers at Neiman's 20 years ago and some sandals), and Rockports and Merrills that I wear to School. I also have some Bally's that are at least 30 years old that are for use with a tux. AEs looked great but I just could not see spending that much.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
For a professional male. Conservative but not flashy work environment. Annual income is 115k/yr, household income about twice that. Other people I work with are often in a higher position and salary level. Don’t usually wear a suit but do dress nicely – wool dress slacks, nice button down shirt and tie, well fitting sport jacket.

I of course already have shoes that I’ve been wearing but just moved up the food chain a bit and the shoes I have are worn so I need new ones. What would be your price range?
I trust your speaking of a good pair of loafers or lace up shoes and not some cutting edge thing that's in a style mag. I think you can get a good pair of Allen Edmonds/Cole Hahn/Johnston Murphy type shoes for under $250. You can spend more, but I think you can get solid professional footwear for that price.

I should add my background is technical sales and marketing for the oil/chemical industry (20 years), mainly working mid-continent (lived in Houston and Chicago). What works for me, may be considered (dare I say) lower class if you are working in a more uptight image conscious atmosphere like banking/investing or on the East Coast.

Last edited by Oildog; 02-10-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Oh...if you live in an area where there is a lot of snow, so your shoes get salty, I'd have a pair of cheaper shoes I'd wear to/from work or use on days you didn't have to meet with management or customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty