Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,155 times

Advertisements

Hello. I hope someone out there can give me some advice.

I'm in my late 60s and have a lot of excess facial hair, mainly on my chin and upper lip. I went to someone who does electrolysis, two sessions, and she worked on my chin.

The 1st session was only 15 minutes long and didn't hurt too much but the 2nd session was 30 minutes long and I didn't think I'd be able to get through it all. It hurt like heck and I have a strong tolerance for pain. She turned the electrical probe on longer and longer for each hair follicle...maybe the follicles needed it but oh my gosh did it hurt. The next day my entire chin was black (no exaggeration) where she had worked on it. It turned purple a few days later and then took over two weeks for the bruising to fade completely.

I haven't gone back to her and am trying to decide if I want to continue electrolysis after that painful episode. The hairs she worked on have not grown back and I might be willing to go through that pain again if I can get such good results everywhere else on my chin and upper lip.

I have three questions for anyone who may know about this kind of stuff.

First, I've read that electrolysis is uncomfortable but not painful if the person is using newer machinery. This lady is in her 60s and I wonder if her machinery is old. I don't want to offend her by asking. I don't think it's a good idea to offend someone who's going to use an electrical probe on you. There are only a few people who do electrolysis in my city and she's the only one fairly close to me. I'd be willing to travel to someone else, though, if they have newer machinery and it would hurt less.

Second, do prescription pain creams really alleviate the pain of electrolysis? She sold me some over-the-counter cream that's made for hemorrhoid pain. It didn't work very well on my chin. I'm really not a wimp about pain but I'd like to know if my regular doctor can prescribe a cream that would work better. If anyone has suggestions for a brand name, I'd really appreciate it.

Third, how do women who are going to use electrolysis allow their facial hair to grow out while going about their daily lives? I used to tweeze the hair on my chin and upper lip and, of course, had to stop for a few weeks before my first appt with her. During that time I stopped doing any shopping at all, even grocery shopping, and canceled doctor appts as well as repair appts. If I were still working I don't know how I'd handle it. How do people manage to do it?

Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
It's my understanding that electrolysis doesn't work on fine colorless hair. My sister told me about the Bellabe, which is a wire coil you twist over your face. I use it on my upper lip and chin, and it pulls out the hair, sort of like threading. Hurts like the dickens the first time because you're ripping out everything all at once.

BUT -- do it every other day and the uneven hair growth takes care of the pain -- it's not nearly as bad doing a few at a time.

As for your grow out -- if it's dark, I'd bleach it. My facial hair if pretty colorless and downy. You can't really see it. My upper lip got bad with menopause, as did my chin. Real thick and long.... it had to GO. But still very colorless.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
Laser Hair Removal...

Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,155 times
Thanks, Tallysmom. I tried the Bellabe but it wasn't permanent for me. The Bellabe website even says it's not permanent. I also tried the Epilady and other wire-spring hair removers. I've even tried professional threading but it lasted only 4-5 weeks. I really want something that's definitely permanent.

My chin hair is white and the two electrolysis sessions were successful in removing it permanently. Unfortunately, the lady didn't work on all the hairs there, which is why I'm trying to decide if it's worth the pain and bruising to go back. Also the upper lip. Ouch, I can't even begin to imagine how much that will hurt.

I appreciate any and all answers but I don't want to try any other methods. Actually, I've probably tried them all already, including laser which also hurts like heck (but not quite as bad as electrolysis) and didn't give me nearly the good results that I got from the electrolysis. I'm just interested in hearing from others who've know about electrolysis.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I have the same problem, though it's been present since my 40s. Ten years ago, I went to a woman ( in her 50s, certified ... only place for electrolysis in my small city at the time). It was painful, but I never had any bruising or discoloration that I can remember. After a few sessions, it seem to be working, but this woman also did laser, so I tried that instead. The first few months it was wonderful, no hair, but eventually it all grew back. Apparently I have a hormonal imbalance, which I've been told is more common on the facial area. I don't recall the laser as being painful at all. Now we have a medical group in town (with an OB/GYN doctor in charge) that specializes in electrolysis/laser, so I may go for a consultation at some point, but for now, I've resorted to waxing and creams. Reading about the Bellabe on here, I may give that a try as I also have the peach fuzz.

Last edited by smpliving; 02-10-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM

779 posts, read 972,843 times
Have you considered shaving?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Electrolysis will work in fine, light colored hair. It does take forever to get them all and you may never be completely done.

I've always had a lot of hair on my face; I started with my chin and I could tolerate that pain. The woman I went to was a nurse and she was really good. They can control how much 'zap' you get and she would often dial it down.

Yes, the prescription creams do work. I used EMLA. The only thing with EMLA is that you have to put a TON of it on and then occlude it somehow. I worked at home so I would cut off a piece of saran wrap and stick in on my upper lip for an hour or more before I went. Pretty, huh?

I could not have done my upper lip without the cream; it simply was too painful.

I went for years and it's been years since I went. I can tell I need a touch-up and will start looking for a provider around here.

I never, ever had the bruising you talked about. Redness that would go away quickly with some soothing cream and maybe a little ice pack IF it was really bad. That's it. I could have put make up on and gone out an hour later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty