Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Editor's note: This story has been updated.

JALALABAD, Afghanistan — In the works for more than a year, strict new rules governing things like tattoos and grooming for soldiers have been approved by the Secretary of the Army and are only awaiting a final signature, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Raymond Chandler said Saturday.

Speaking to troops at bases in eastern Afghanistan, Chandler said Secretary John McHugh has approved but not yet officially put his name to the changes to Army Regulation 670-1.

Soldiers told new rules governing tattoos, grooming standards on the way - Army - Stripes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
The Marine Corps began clamping down on tattoos over 10 years ago. DoD collectively is pursuing this now and while I can appreciate what they are trying to do, I think it is not a sustainable policy. Tattoos are becoming more and more then norm in our culture. They're not just for sailors, bikers and prisoners anymore. They are more and more common and the more we regulate them out of uniform standards the harder we make recruiting.

FWIW, I do not have any tattoos. I'm a rarity in the Marine Corps. Aside from having no tattoos, I don't dip either. It seems like a rare combination in the world I live in.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Even the Navy has increased restrictions on ink.

Quote:
FWIW, I do not have any tattoos. I'm a rarity in the Marine Corps. Aside from having no tattoos, I don't dip either. It seems like a rare combination in the world I live in.
My husband doesn't either, after a dozen years as a sailor (and he has to counsel his sailors straight out of boot camp on what they can and cannot get and where on their body they can or cannot get it). Nor does he use tobacco products of any kind.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:59 PM

381 posts, read 642,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Your future self will appreciate that.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
It'll never stick. They need soldiers more than they need soldiers who have no tattoos.

My ex was 82nd Airborne and he had 9 while he was in.

ETA: Those tattoos were okay post-9/11 when they needed warm bodies.
I realize this is stating the obvious, but another anti-tattoo thread? Really? I'm disappointed at the lack of originality.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
Your future self will appreciate that.
I love mine!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The Marine Corps began clamping down on tattoos over 10 years ago. DoD collectively is pursuing this now and while I can appreciate what they are trying to do, I think it is not a sustainable policy. Tattoos are becoming more and more then norm in our culture. They're not just for sailors, bikers and prisoners anymore. They are more and more common and the more we regulate them out of uniform standards the harder we make recruiting.

My ex-husband, a recently EAS'd Marine, is tattooless, and has never, ever dipped to my knowledge. Hell, he didn't get drunk for the first time until age 27 right before his 5th and last deployment. My father, also a former Marine, also has none. And he's super moto, something my ex was not.

I have 25 and counting. My BF has none.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My ex-husband, a recently EAS'd Marine, is tattooless, and has never, ever dipped to my knowledge. Hell, he didn't get drunk for the first time until age 27 right before his 5th and last deployment. My father, also a former Marine, also has none. And he's super moto, something my ex was not.

I have 25 and counting. My BF has none.
Yeah, I know I'm not the only one out there. It does seem like a rarity, though. Most Marines I know did/have one or the other or both. Even some of the women I've served alongside dipped. For some reason that seems a bigger taboo than girls farting! (FWIW, I was never one to freak out when a girl farted. The female Marines I knew who dipped did surprise me a little. )

Right now I work in a HQ activity and a heavy number of those who work around me are civilians. But there are still dip bottles in most cubicles, and when I go into the weight room a lot of guys have tattoos. I wonder if these new regulations will stem that or if we are just making things difficult on ourselves in the long run. I think the latter.

As for your 25 tattoos, I like them on women. I sneaked a peak at your album and yours look really good. My wife only has a couple, but she's hinted at wanting a couple new ones. I'm not sure if she'll go through with it or not, but I won't try to talk her out of it if she wants to.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I am amazed at this, our whole culture has moved pro-tattoo. I would have expected the military to loosen their tattoo policy, not make it more strict.

It seems the vast majority of young men (90%+?) are tattooed, often covered in them. How will the military find enough new recruits?

Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am amazed at this, our whole culture has moved pro-tattoo. I would have expected the military to loosen their tattoo policy, not make it more strict.

It seems the vast majority of young men (90%+?) are tattooed, often covered in them. How will the military find enough new recruits?
I think they are thinning the herd. Let another war break out and they'll welcome tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty