Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You don't want to show off your figure.

You want to emphasize the positive and de-emphasize the negative. Not the same thing as "showing off your figure."
Totally agree! To me, a woman that resorts to wearing "skin tight" clothes simply has no real idea how to really dress and look nice at the same time. A woman that knows what she is doing and knows how to dress well (you don't have to spend lots of money either) can stand out and make herself look much better than other women that simply wear skin tight clothes and calls it a day. That is what I have always done and imparted it to my daughter, and guess what? My daughter gets a lot more compliment not only just from men in general but quality men such as her bf than the skin tight wearing girls do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
I'm not so sure about the heterosexuality thing if fit women in tight sexy outfits repulses you. Women should wear burqas and muumuus?

Old 03-27-2014, 05:57 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
I'm not so sure about the heterosexuality thing if fit women in tight sexy outfits repulses you. Women should wear burqas and muumuus?
Tight and sexy are not necessarily synonymous, nor are they necessarily even complementary. Frequently, tight is repulsive.

Some men do have a sense of appropriate style.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Quote:
Tight and sexy are not necessarily synonymous, nor are they necessarily even complementary. Frequently, tight is repulsive.

That would be my daughter's bf he is turned off by girls that look slutty/skanky. He loves the way my daughter dresses though!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM

255 posts, read 407,364 times
Quote:
You don't want to show off your figure.

You want to emphasize the positive and de-emphasize the negative. Not the same thing as "showing off your figure."
I already said I don't wear tight clothes. I was just surprised by this thread.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:

Neither is tight and skanky. You can wear form-fitting clothing and be covered from head to toe, while looking good as long as you have the body for it. I wear tight clothing all the time and get complemented frequently.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Neither is tight and skanky. You can wear form-fitting clothing and be covered from head to toe, while looking good as long as you have the body for it. I wear tight clothing all the time and get complemented frequently.
"Form-fitting" and "tight" are not synonymous. In fact, they're mutually exclusive.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think it should be "If you've got it cover it a wee bit more make them wonder exactly what you've got under there".
My opinion though but I have always dressed somewhat modestly and never felt the need to expose too much of my body in public and definitely not at the place I worked. Amazingly enough I never lacked for attention or dates and usually got more of both than others who "flaunted it".
I agree with what you do.

If you truly have a nice figure, people can determine that by looking at you in nice, well-fitting clothes. The clothes don't have to be skin-tight and showing off "the goods." Women who wear tight or revealing clothes everywhere just look like they're begging for attention. The younger ones maybe get a pass because they may not have much experience or guidance, but the older ones are more pathetic because it's like they have to tell us strangers they've "still got it."

Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
I just go by what people tell me. I know people don't look like magazines or television. I've been getting told since I was 12 years old that I am ugly, even by my mother. Everyone says my face is very masculine looking. My mother says my face is my fathers all over again, and she hated him.
If you believe your face is unattractive but your body is alright, why wouldn't you play up your assets? Your logic is like saying, "well, I suck at math, so I'm not even going to try biology." I don't know if you're into men or not, but there are plenty of men who are more than content with a woman who has a great body but "meh" face (especially if she has an amazing personality). Don't sell yourself short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
That would be my daughter's bf he is turned off by girls that look slutty/skanky. He loves the way my daughter dresses though!
I don't see why you feel the need to keep asserting this. It's almost like you feel threatened or offended by the idea of a woman who flaunts her sexuality. As I said earlier in the thread, if dressing conservatively works for someone and she's happy with that, good for her! No need to insult what works for others and the styles that make them happy. And for every guy who likes one particular style, there's at least one other guy who is into the complete opposite style. Hell, even the "People of Walmart" often have significant others! So, that's hardly a great way to judge a person's appearance. Not to mention that some women, like me, dress as we do just for us - the guys who like it are a bonus, but not the driving force for why we do what we do.

Another good response to your sentiments was luckynumber4's point that tight/provocative doesn't have to be synonymous with skanky. And it's awfully presumptuous of you to think that everyone who doesn't choose to dress like your daughter is a skank. Such a terrible, terrible word, and a word that one woman should never use to describe another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteagirl View Post
But...I'm not of the millenial generation. Every generation has their styles.
I really think that this is another thing that it comes down to. Every generation has their style preferences. Some we look back on and go, "what the hell were we thinking?" Some are timeless and admirable decades later.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
"Form-fitting" and "tight" are not synonymous. In fact, they're mutually exclusive.
Ok. Replace the one time I used "form-fitting" in my post with "tight" and my point still stands. Tight does not have to equal revealing. I wear tight clothing all the time. Dead in the middle of winter. It definitely isn't revealing or skanky in any sense of the word(s) since I'm not about getting pneumonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty