Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it OK for a college professor to wear shorts and/or flip-flops?
Shorts and flip-flops are OK 49 41.88%
Shorts are OK, but they should be worn with shoes 11 9.40%
Flip-flops are OK, but they should be worn with jeans 3 2.56%
Neither are OK 54 46.15%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 PM

548 posts, read 816,671 times

Advertisements

The research into student evaluations of faculty is very clear: appearance matters. If you are more attractive, and look more professional, you will get higher ratings from the surveys of your students at the end of the term. Basically, if you are tall with a deep voice, reasonably good face, and dress well, you have to work hard to not get good ratings. If you are short, ugly, and dress like a slob, you'd better be Robin Williams in _Dead Poets Society_ if you want good scores from your students. I wish all that were not true, but the research is absolutely unambiguous that appearance matters, probably more than teaching style.

That all said, "dress well" doesn't mean suit and tie or anything like that formal. Regional and specific campus culture matter. What is 'normal' at Harvard will not be normal at all at Cal-State Humboldt. There are definitely colleges where if a prof walks into a classroom with a dark suit, power tie, and close cut hair, students will be turned off.

That said, it's hard for me to imagine shorts and flip flops anywhere, unless maybe a studio art class or science class field work. Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt at a lot of California schools, sure, but not wearing actual shoes would be odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
I don't see a problem with it at all. Would me think of the 70s, and I really loved the 70s.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

579 posts, read 762,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't see a problem with it at all. Would me think of the 70s, and I really loved the 70s.
The 60's & 70's. When USA started its decline

Old 03-29-2014, 11:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Only if they are liberals, which most are. Can't work, teach.
College professors have to do research, and that involves getting grant money and doing "work." They also teach people who go on to non-teaching jobs. Someone has to teach those people, you know. And teaching is "work." Ask any teacher.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM

72 posts, read 231,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
College professors have to do research, and that involves getting grant money and doing "work." They also teach people who go on to non-teaching jobs. Someone has to teach those people, you know. And teaching is "work." Ask any teacher.
This also applies to those who don't do research and "only" teach just as well, such as community college instructors. "Can't work, teach" is a cliche that should have died many, many years ago.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:12 AM

49 posts, read 174,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
As a TA and lab instructor I've always worn shorts and flip-flops during warm weather (which is most of the year here in central California), which is commonly accepted since I'm still a student myself. But next semester I may be actually teaching one or more courses at the same University that I am graduating from this semester. As far as I know, there is no specific dress code enforced for faculty, as I've had multiple professors wear shorts and sandals in the past. Assuming there is no specific dress code for faculty, what would be your opinion on this? As a student, would it bother you if you had a professor that wore shorts and/or flip-flops?
Perhaps depends on the domain? In the tech industry the dress code tends on the lax side, so if the professor of "Comp Sci 320 - 3D Graphics & Animation" dressed in shorts and sandals that would be quite appropriate IMO.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
the more skin you show as a female, the happier i am. if you are a man, i want you to dress like a greek god. other than that, if you suck at your subject, it doesn't matter what you dress like. after a few minutes, the novelty or (if you hate casual dress) the annoyance wears off. the substance WILL show up (the quality of your work).
So male profs should dress like this: http://artswork.asu.edu/students/les..._greek_god.jpg

Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Funny that you associate intelligence with fashion. You judge too much.
I think it may be you who misjudge. We are associating fashion with distraction. A lovely style gets attention. Sometimes it gets attention at the wrong place when one's mind should be on the red light as you try to cross Madison Avenue. The Roman toga is beautiful. I wouldn't mind seeing one worn at all but not when I am trying my darndest to understand a lecture that was already beyond my depth.

Do you know the story of why Madame Curie was not allowed to use the university lab? Because a woman in the lab would be so distracting that little work would get done - by the men.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:03 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Funny that you associate intelligence with fashion. You judge too much.
I DIDN'T associate intelligence with fashion. You apparently have a reading comprehension problem. I pointed out that Einstein, in spite of his unfashionable appearance, was a genius. I merely stated that SOME people have a harder time hearing messages if the speaker (even an physicist) is dressed bizarrely. I still think that's true. Why do handlers worry so much about what presidential candidates wear? Why are many Americans obsessed with Hillary Clinton's hair-dos and Michelle Obama's bare arms? I'm not. (Although I have to admit I'm rather distracted by Rand Paul's wig.) I just point out that other people can't see PAST clothing. So why distract them if you have an important message? Which I believe a college professor does (specifically, the OP who asked about wearing flip-flops and shorts to teach).

Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
I say neither are ok on campus.

What you wear during your free time is your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty