Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Oh there's an idea...there are two Indian grocery stores around here I go to for spices and dal and such, I think one also has a beauty products shelf.

I haven't used the shea butter on my face, because it seems so rich, and also the way I get it from my friend, very highly scented. But it might be great, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh there's an idea...there are two Indian grocery stores around here I go to for spices and dal and such, I think one also has a beauty products shelf.

I haven't used the shea butter on my face, because it seems so rich, and also the way I get it from my friend, very highly scented. But it might be great, I don't know.
Yup, coconut oil is used in south Indian cooking and for beautification. You can check out stuff at those shops.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I use aragan oil. It is expensive but it is great for face and skin. I also use brown sugar instead of regular.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I stock up while traveling from my grandfathers place in Southern India . Coconut oil is available in plenty down there. You might be able to find it at the pharmacy (likely around where baby oil is found), since it does have some medicinal properties.
Coconut Oil can be found at just about any grocery store in the US. Its in the baking aisle with the other cooking oils. I almost always buy mine at Trader Joe's, but have also bought it at Target if I don't feel like making another stop just for one item.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:24 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Some of these beautification oils seem to also be used in food.

I typically associate Coconut oil + sugar with sweets for festivals .

Old 03-30-2014, 12:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
So where does one find facial grade coconut oil - grocery store? Drug store, beauty supply? Or do I have to buy it online?
There isn't a special "facial grade" coconut oil. Just buy the coconut oil that you find in the baking aisle of any grocery store. You want the virgin coconut oil, otherwise it could have some filler ingredients in it.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:24 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Shea butter is an absolute godsend for facial moisturizing. Raw/organic only. It is thick, I cut it w/ vitamin e oil (or whatever oil I have on hand) and massage it on after cleansing. It will absorb and be less greasy after a bit. I let in sink in for about 10min before apply primer and make-up. Or you can use it at night if that's your preference.. Repairs all sorts of damage and heals skin irritations, and slows aging, wrinkles, all that..! Shea butter is one of the only products I genuinely rave about for skin care.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I prefer sweet almond oil - it is light and odorless and makes a WONDERFUL cleanser and makeup remover. Going to try this with the sugar for a scrub!
Thanks for the tip! I've been using olive oil, but I'll try the sweet almond oil!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Shea butter is an absolute godsend for facial moisturizing. Raw/organic only. It is thick, I cut it w/ vitamin e oil (or whatever oil I have on hand) and massage it on after cleansing. It will absorb and be less greasy after a bit. I let in sink in for about 10min before apply primer and make-up. Or you can use it at night if that's your preference.. Repairs all sorts of damage and heals skin irritations, and slows aging, wrinkles, all that..! Shea butter is one of the only products I genuinely rave about for skin care.

This might be a dumb question, but where do you purchase raw/organic shea butter. Whole Foods, or somewhere like that?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM

417 posts, read 867,682 times
Sugar and oil on your face? EEWWW! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty