Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Because threads like these always imply that people should always wear suits in order to make themselves feel and look more impressive than they really are. That it doesnt matter what bills these people have or that they can barely afford to feed themselves. Oh no, spend all your money on a suit nevermind the fact you wont be able to afford the maintenance on it.

And lets say you do manage to buy a nice suit. Now what? What dates do you hope to get? None, because you spent all your money on the suit. You think the date is going to pick up the check? "Oh sorry, i spent all my money on this suit. Do you mind?" (awkward).

Now if threads like these are written by and geared towards people in middle to upper class then fine. But to insinuate that everyone even low class should be spending the tiny bit of money they have on a suit and its care ignoring their own basic needs to survive is beyond me.
A sports coat/blazer/suit jacket does make almost any man look more like what is traditionally considered a "manly" look in terms of enlarging and squaring off the shoulders. That's an truism of the effect of clothing not different from the observation that horizontal stripes and large prints make an overweight person look even more overweight.

Such things can be stated as fashion truisms or thumb rules. Whether someone wants to think that is an "implication" that everyone is required to obey it is a personal problem.

It's still a classist prejudice that someone who doesn't make a lot of money ought to dress like a "Wal-Mart shopper." If a person has a steady job, even if low-paid, but saves a bit of money to buy a blazer from Salvation Army, that's certainly his choice. Nobody should say, "You don't make enough to look good."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:42 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A sports coat/blazer/suit jacket does make almost any man look more like what is traditionally considered a "manly" look in terms of enlarging and squaring off the shoulders. That's an truism of the effect of clothing not different from the observation that horizontal stripes and large prints make an overweight person look even more overweight.

Such things can be stated as fashion truisms or thumb rules. Whether someone wants to think that is an "implication" that everyone is required to obey it is a personal problem.

It's still a classist prejudice that someone who doesn't make a lot of money ought to dress like a "Wal-Mart shopper." If a person has a steady job, even if low-paid, but saves a bit of money to buy a blazer from Salvation Army, that's certainly his choice. Nobody should say, "You don't make enough to look good."
Never said a man who didnt own a suit had to look like a walmart shopper. All im saying is whats wrong with a man or anyone for that matter wearing jeans and a shirt?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Never said a man who didnt own a suit had to look like a walmart shopper. All im saying is whats wrong with a man or anyone for that matter wearing jeans and a shirt?
Nobody ever said it was wrong. You're presenting a strawman argument.

But you appear to be saying it is wrong for someone of modest means to dress any better than his income suggests he should.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Nobody ever said it was wrong. You're presenting a strawman argument.

But you appear to be saying it is wrong for someone of modest means to dress any better than his income suggests he should.
Not saying a person cant look nice if thats what they want. But to in any way put a person down for not saving up to buy a 3 piece suit or tux to wear every day in order to make people think better of them makes no sense. And yes, asking why people dont wear suits because it might make them look better in your eyes IS putting them down.

Having a suit to wear to a formal event or something is one thing but nobody is going to throw on a tux or 3 piece to run down to the corner store for a gallon of milk and i highly doubt youll see any guys wearing suits to rock concerts (especially in the pit).

Old 06-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Not saying a person cant look nice if thats what they want. But to in any way put a person down for not saving up to buy a 3 piece suit or tux to wear every day in order to make people think better of them makes no sense. And yes, asking why people dont wear suits because it might make them look better in your eyes IS putting them down.

Having a suit to wear to a formal event or something is one thing but nobody is going to throw on a tux or 3 piece to run down to the corner store for a gallon of milk and i highly doubt youll see any guys wearing suits to rock concerts (especially in the pit).
Nobody here has suggested or implied any such thing as everyone buying a three-piece-suit. If one answer to the question is, "Because some can't afford it," that's a valid answer to a valid question.

Strawman argument.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
This is just stupid!! It's shallow folks like this that turns our world in to crap!
I should be able to look like Marilyn Manson, Bill Gates or Snoop Dogg and still be treated the same.

You have no idea of my socioeconomic status or what kind of person I am and to make stereotypical (ass)umptions only based my appearance tells a lot about you.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Nobody here has suggested or implied any such thing as everyone buying a three-piece-suit.
Im sorry but have you not read the title of this thread?

**I dont consider pants and a sport coat to be a suit, btw. IMHO a suit is either a tux or a 3 piece.

Last edited by pythonis; 06-01-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
IMHO a suit is either a tux or a 3 piece.
Your opinion is wrong. If "a suit is either a tux or a 3 piece," then the phrase "three-piece suit" would not exist.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-01-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 PM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
Suits are so 20th century. Nobody even wears them to jobs anymore. What the hell other occasion would you buy one for if you didnt need one for even work? Seems like a perfectly good waste of money. But Im on the west coast where our billion dollar tech CEOs wear jeans, turtlenecks, sweaters, t shirts, etc. If you walked in with a suit into Apple or Facebook they wouldnt have good impressions of you, theyd think you were the NY PR company guy, or the foreign banker, or some really confused new employee. None of that is good.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
I would think that its because they wish to be comfortable. Plus who wants to be outdoors working for the street dept or building houses in a suit? Plus if i see a guy in a suit i dont automatically think "authority figure". Someone in a suit tells me to do something im like "umm and who are you exactly?"
Yeah not all jobs are good for suits. Then add in factors like the weather and comfort and you can see why they don't. I don't mind dressing up on occasion but not every day. I don't see a reason (besides red carpets) to see a movie in a suit even in AC. I always fear eating, let alone eating out in a suit because of stains (I will do button-downs (open or closed) and nice jeans, khakis or black slacks to holiday dinners or going out to sit-down restaurants though.) I would NEVER go to a theme park in a suit. I've worn polyester uniforms at a certain national park and went on a ride for testing and it wasn't the most comfortable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty