Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The one I'd get depends on the taste of the person for whom I am buying the umbrella.

I like the red umbrella best...love the lining. I'd get that for someone who likes or looks good in red, or likes bold colors.
I can't ask her about which one she likes most as this would ruin the surprise. She has a high intensity complexion. Very dark and thick hair yet pretty light skin. She often wears a high contrast clothes like say a dress with black and white stripes or a dress with a blue and white checks. That's why I added the first umbrella in my short list - it is a high contrast one with black and white zebra stripes.

I assume she likes bold colors and high contrast.
Quote:
The green one is nice, too. I'd get it for someone who likes or looks good in green, or prefers softer colors.
Never seen her in green. I doubt it is her color yet I don't think umbrella should necessary match your clothes. It is like a bag or shoes - it may and sometimes should differ from your clothes.
Quote:
BTW, what's that red thing?
Do you mean what the material is? What is made of?
Quote:
The pink one is too impractical.
It is practical against sunlight. Not when it is pouring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've seen some really pretty ones on Amazon that look like giant flowers, or like a stained glass lamp, if you're looking for something sort of whimsical and you know what kind of things the lady you're buying for likes.
Not whimsical necessary. Nonconventional and beautiful - these are key words.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I think an umbrella makes a lovely gift. I like #4. The floral print underneath would make me happy on a gray, rainy day.

I recently bought a pretty one from Victorian Trading and have received compliments every time I've used it.
LOVELY LAVENDER UMBRELLA
I've just visited their site. They have beautiful and inexpensive umbrellas. Good to know.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Well, I like the red one. I bought a red umbrella for myself actually. Especially for someone who likes bright colors and contrast.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Regardless of the color - get an automatic umbrella! So much easier.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Personally? I only like small umbrellas that fit in my purse. Any other one is likely to get left somewhere.
I lost one umbrella in my life. It made me pretty sad as it was a good one. Hung it in the subway car and forgot it when exited. Anyway, I still tend to wear big long umbrellas as they look stylish and are practical against pouring and strong wind. The ones that can be put into my bag don't look stylish.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So they're expensive umbrellas that you can't really use when its raining? What a great gift...
Parasols are not meant to be worn during rains. Umbrellas are. I assume only three of them are umbrellas. Anyway, what's your attitude toward flowers or jewellery? They are beautiful too but not practical at all.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Regardless of the color - get an automatic umbrella! So much easier.
Yes, easier but have you seen beautiful automatic umbrellas for women? They are hard to get.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
I can't ask her about which one she likes most as this would ruin the surprise.
I'm not suggesting you ask her. Just wanted you to keep in mind what colors she wears a lot or gravitates toward--which you did.

Quote:
She has a high intensity complexion. Very dark and thick hair yet pretty light skin. She often wears a high contrast clothes like say a dress with black and white stripes or a dress with a blue and white checks. That's why I added the first umbrella in my short list - it is a high contrast one with black and white zebra stripes.

I assume she likes bold colors and high contrast. Never seen her in green. I doubt it is her color
Okay, so get her a color that harmonizes with the colors she usually wears and, therefore, probably likes.

With her coloring and taste in clothes, I would get her the red umbrella. Not that there's anything wrong with the first one, but EVERYONE has black umbrellas. I'd want to give her something different.

Quote:
I don't think umbrella should necessary match your clothes.
It does not HAVE to "match." But I like to harmonize the color of my umbrella with my outfit. That's just me.

I always buy umbrellas in colors that go with with the colors I usually wear. So when I choose an umbrella, I typically pick one that coordinates with whatever I'm wearing--either the same family of colors or an interesting contrast , e.g., a burgundy plaid umbrella/burgundy outfit; red umbrella/navy blue outfit; clear umbrella/white outfit; etc.

Quote:
Do you mean what the material is?
No. I was referring to the red pompom. But I figured out what it is.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
I like the red one with the polka dots. Has a 50s look to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty