Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

I thought this thread was going to be about some new kind of mixed drink, perhaps one with Pepto-Bismol in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about some new kind of mixed drink, perhaps one with Pepto-Bismol in it.
No, but I like the way you think!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I wouldn't buy pink because...
1.) Pink shows dirt faster and I actually use my tools.
2.) I think of pink tools as inferior quality.
3.) I think of pink tools as having a higher markup for being a specialty item.
4.) It wouldn't match my other tools.
Right on.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 PM

477 posts, read 509,406 times
I have to agree with the obnoxious and condescending thing. Plus, I just hate pink, having had it pushed at me all my life.

I don't want a pink bike, or anything else. I don't want pink or pastel colored tools - or colored specially "for women" at all. It makes no difference whatsoever to the tool whether or not the hand that wields it comes with it's own attached ... errr ... tool.

Further, it makes no difference to the person using or wearing something whether or not the item was specifically marketed towards women - within reason at least. Underwear - maybe. But SOCKS? Plain black 100% cotton crew socks? I once had a guy go ape**** on me because he found out that my then 7 year old son was wearing plain black 100% cotton crew socks which I had found in the girls department, plain black socks being part of the school uniform at the time and not being available in the boys dept in anything except 100% nylon (horrible to wear in Puerto Rico heat). I think he would have called child services on me if he'd thought of it. He actually told me my son would turn out gay (he didn't use a word nearly that nonjudgmental) because he was wearing socks that had been hanging on a rack in the girl's dept.

So I guess HIS son continued to suffer in the 100% nylon BOYS socks. It probably made a man out of him. A hot, angry man with smelly feet - but a man, nonetheless.

Another time I had a coworker just lose her composure totally when she asked me where I had found my glasses frames because she wanted a set like them - and I told her they were men's frames.

Seriously. It's not like they come with little .... tools .... attached to them. What possible difference could it make?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I have to agree with the obnoxious and condescending thing. Plus, I just hate pink, having had it pushed at me all my life.

I don't want a pink bike, or anything else. I don't want pink or pastel colored tools - or colored specially "for women" at all. It makes no difference whatsoever to the tool whether or not the hand that wields it comes with it's own attached ... errr ... tool.

Further, it makes no difference to the person using or wearing something whether or not the item was specifically marketed towards women - within reason at least. Underwear - maybe. But SOCKS? Plain black 100% cotton crew socks? I once had a guy go ape**** on me because he found out that my then 7 year old son was wearing plain black 100% cotton crew socks which I had found in the girls department, plain black socks being part of the school uniform at the time and not being available in the boys dept in anything except 100% nylon (horrible to wear in Puerto Rico heat). I think he would have called child services on me if he'd thought of it. He actually told me my son would turn out gay (he didn't use a word nearly that nonjudgmental) because he was wearing socks that had been hanging on a rack in the girl's dept.

So I guess HIS son continued to suffer in the 100% nylon BOYS socks. It probably made a man out of him. A hot, angry man with smelly feet - but a man, nonetheless.

Another time I had a coworker just lose her composure totally when she asked me where I had found my glasses frames because she wanted a set like them - and I told her they were men's frames.

Seriously. It's not like they come with little .... tools .... attached to them. What possible difference could it make?
I have a pink bike. It's awesome. It's a hot pink cruiser with baby pink rims, baby pink basket, and a pink and gray sparkly basket liner and helmet cover. I forgot that when I was listing the pink things in my life. But I balance it out by wearing mens shorts and mens socks while I'm out riding my pink Barbie-style bike.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:57 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Exactly. I got a pink tool kit as a gift when I left home for college, and they're the only tools I've owned that boyfriends or husband never walked off with. Works for me.

I really don't care what color utilitarian things are, as long as they are reasonably priced and work.
Absolutely. I've had workers walk off with my tools/extension cords a few times... was a bleedin' nightmare & required a lot of persistence on my part to get them back. They didn't use them, they were just in sight (or not ) & they helped themselves.

I've often thought if I need to buy any other tools, they'll be pink with my initials on them, so they're less likely to disappear into someone's toolbox. Awhile ago, I found a great deal on a Black & Decker drill (orange/black) at a discount store & when I brought it home, I covered it in Hello Kitty stickers.

For the same reason, when I buy a bike, it's going to be pink/purple & sparkly.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I generally opt for black or gray.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Never knew stealing tools is such an epidemic. Pencils may be.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I may find it more aesthetically pleasing if it's pink, as compared to the usual brown or whatever.
But I wouldn't buy it if I didn't need it, and I wouldn't pay a lot more for a special color.
If it was an option at a similar price, then I may choose it, because why not have function AND form?

I have no shame in being a "girl" ever. It's not lesser or weaker or anything inferior to being a boy or man. Of course, liking pink has little to do with true femininity, but there is that cultural association and we were all raised with it....so I do like things which signal "I am woman!". I would like other color options too. I like red or purple more than pink, for instance.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 PM

477 posts, read 509,406 times
My dad, over my mother's objections, bought himself a pink dress shirt in the 70's and proceeded to wear it to work regularly. When questioned about it, he stated: "If my pink shirt bothers someone, that's not my problem. I'm secure enough in my own masculinity that I can and will wear whatever I feel like."

I learned a lot from my dad. Such as, if you like pink, you should wear it, even if you're not a girl; and if you DON'T like it, you don't have to wear it - even if you're a girl! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty